Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

A Streetcar Named Desire - Prequel w/ Gillian Anderson

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 5/7/03

https://www.youngvic.org/young-vic-films/the-departure?fbclid=IwAR33nUh8exUf-q9meHffZcx-mtiHB5KK71Wi-cYrsmRNMok8nspEPaQjBKE

This was an interesting watch... I know she loves the West End, but hoping we get her to Broadway in something. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/05
Doesn’t she live in London?
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/27/06

Jordan Catalano said: "Doesn’t she live in London?"

Absolutely.  I guess it’s safe to assume that may be why she solely works on the West End stage.  Hahaha.  

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 5/21/19

BrodyFosse123 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Doesn’t she live in London?"

Absolutely. I guess it’s safe to assume that may be why she solely works on the West End stage. Hahaha.

"

Actually that's wrong. She starred in the Young Vic's production of "Streetcar"  when it came to NY in 2016. It was brought over by the St Ann's Warehouse in Brooklyn.

Updated On: 3/5/21 at 11:09 AM
TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/29/07

BrodyFosse123 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Doesn’t she live in London?"

Absolutely. I guess it’s safe to assume that may be why she solely works on the West End stage. Hahaha.”

Right, because actors never perform outside of the city they live.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/6/12

BrodyFosse and Jordan were commenting on the fact that the OP said Anderson "loves the West End" as if that's the main reason she works primarily in London, when in fact, the reason is that she lives there. They weren't implying that people never work outside their base city.

And I don't think Brody's use of the word "solely" was meant to be taken so literally, as that wasn't the point of the post. 

Anyway, this seems like an interesting project. Worth noting that this is a short film that Anderson herself is directing, though it seems to be inspired by Benedict Andrews' modernized production. 

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 5/21/19

JBroadway said: "
And I don't think Brody's use of the word "solely" was meant to be taken so literally, as that wasn't the point of the post.."

One of the silliest statements I've read. Solely only has one meaning. If he meant something else, then he used the wrong word.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/10/19

The idea of a prequel to A Streetcar Named Desire is absurd. But I think Gillian Anderson would make a great Blanche.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/6/12

George in DC said: "JBroadway said: "
And I don't think Brody's use of the word "solely" was meant to be taken so literally, as that wasn't the point of the post.."

One of the silliest statements I've read. Solely only has one meaning. If he meant something else, then he used the wrong word.

"

Sure, you're not wrong. But the overall post was a sarcastic statement about the original post, and the "solely" was not the emphasis of that comment. So yeah, BrodyFosse was wrong, but it doesn't really matter. 

Owen22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/24/11

Did you know that Blanche is supposed to be between 28 to 31 years old?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/11/06
JBroadway said: "BrodyFosse and Jordan were commenting on the fact that the OP said Anderson"loves the West End" as if that's the main reason she works primarily in London, when in fact, the reason is that she lives there. They weren't implying that people never work outside their base city.

And I don't think Brody's use of the word "solely" was meant to be taken so literally, as that wasn't the point of the post.

Anyway, this seems like an interesting project. Worth noting that this is a short film that Anderson herself is directing, though it seems to be inspired by Benedict Andrews' modernized production.
"

The short film was released back in 2015. I think around the time that the production was show/streamed into movie theatres/cinemas. I watched both back then.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/27/06

Owen22 said: "Did you know that Blanche is supposed to be between 28 to 31 years old?"

Yup.  Stella is 25 and Blanche is about 5 years older.  Insane how we always assume these characters are so much older.   Like Mama Rose (in her 30s) and Norma Desmond (who is 50).  We always visualize these as much older based on the age ranges of the actresses who’ve played those roles.