Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

"A Private Investigation " from DROOD

Owen22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/24/11

Posted: 2/27/21 at 10:01pm

I just came across this on YouTube. I had never heard the song before. I do remember Helen Reddy doing the show but I don't remember where. Does anyone know when and where it was added? It seems to be taking the place of "Settling Up the Score".

https://youtu.be/geeKLUjib5U

Updated On: 2/27/21 at 10:01 PM
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/4/07

Posted: 2/28/21 at 7:28am
Video is already gone.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 11/12/13

Posted: 2/28/21 at 2:10pm

It was written for the 1987 West End premiere. Likewise "A British Subject" which replaced "Ceylon," and multiple "Confessions."

The 2012 Broadway revival restored a verse of "Ceylon" to lead into "British Subject."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Ravenclaw
Featured Actor
Featured Actor | Joined: 9/16/17

Posted: 2/28/21 at 3:08pm

MrsSallyAdams is correct--in addition to "A British Subject" replacing "Ceylon", "A Private Investigation" replacing "Settling Up the Score", and rewritten confessions, the West End production also added "England Reigns" and cut "A Man Could Go Quite Mad" and "Moonfall (Quartet)". The currently licensed version of the show is the West End script, but with an appendix that allows you to swap those songs in and out. The West End version was also, I believe, the first to close the first act with "Off to the Races", moving "The Name of Love" to the second act, but that change is now permanent.

In his notes introducing the appendix, Rupert Holmes says the reason he wrote "A Private Investigation" is because "Settling Up the Score" uses the same melody as "Don't Quit While You're Ahead" and the two come too close to each other in the show to justify the re-use of material. Personally, I think "Settling Up the Score" is a much better song, and I am glad that Holmes allows the option to reinsert it.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/26/04

Posted: 3/3/21 at 10:32am

I saw the West End version having listened to the OBCR.  I was surprised by the new song- Lulu was the biggest star in the show (maybe) and weirdly she was NEVER chosen as the murderer.

I've just remembered I attended closing night, too.