Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Movie theaters re-opening in NY

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

Posted: 2/22/21 at 4:10pm

Starting March 5, movie theaters can reopen at 25 percent capacity or a maximum of 50 people per screening. And beginning March 15, wedding and catering halls can resume operations at 50 percent capacity, or up to 150 occupants. And big arenas are now open to 10% capacity.

Slowly but surely, friends. 

Updated On: 2/22/21 at 04:10 PM
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/05

Posted: 2/22/21 at 4:16pm
The second that AMC lists showtimes for next week I’ll restart my Stubs membership and most likely go every day. This combined with the hopeful (possible maybe) news of UK theatre reopening this summer - well it’s a good day today.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 9/10/08

Posted: 2/22/21 at 4:53pm

Will the cutoff at 50, be an issue in attending the movie of your choice?  I've been back to the movies twice.  I had lost interest due to patron's behaviors.  The Prom had 4 people other than me and Wonder Woman only had one.  You are also gonna see alot of older movies booked for a lower price of admission.  This week, the Lord Of The Rings trilogy is screening.  Also AMC doesn't do this, but Cinemark offers rentals of the entire theatre for private screenings.  They show up as sold out, so people must be taking advantage of it.

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 5:29pm
AMC does offer rentals of entire theaters. They’re promoting it like crazy everywhere. I’d imagine a healthy mix of classic films and new releases for a while which is fine with me since I love seeing older films on the big screen again. Plus, the 50 people/25% will probably only last for a month or so before hopefully being upped. Restaurants were just allowed to admit more indoor diners so this will adjust over time, too.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 5:32pm
Also, I’m curious if some of the films that pulled their theatrical releases will rethink that now. I, for one, would love to see “Barb and Star” in a theater with other people.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 6:03pm

AMC doesn't do it in Florida.  Must be a marketing thing in other states.  You'll also find that matinees are usually just on Saturday with a few on Sunday with AMC.   Cinemark has matinees on Saturday and Sunday, with a Friday show around 4:00.   There are times I would want to see a movie during the week, but don't want to go at night.

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 6:27pm
Ah. The theatres around us in Jersey I see have 30% off tickets in the afternoon and then it appears the latest shows are around 9 or so. I’m curious if that’ll be extended to NYC or not.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 6:44pm

Can't speak for the prices in your area.  But that 30% off price is a joke.  For example, the matinee showing of Tom & Jerry (which don't laugh..I kind of want to see)  is $13.39 and that is with the 30% off.  It's a shame that your theatres didn't open earlier.  Since you enjoy the classic movies they have really had some nontypical ones over the months.  Most are your usual like Grease and Jaws, but I remember wanting to see a few 50's classics.  But the comeback classics are usually in a smaller theater and do really well.  I just didn't want to sit in a theater with alot of people.  Not because of covid, but because of cellphones, talking, munching, etc.

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 6:50pm
For that price you can just get a month of HBO MAX and watch it there. Unless fo course you need to see Tom & Jerry on the big screen.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 7:05pm

For the time being, I don't have to pay.  I was sitting on about $100 in AMC giftcards and when I went to use one when theatres reopened I found they "accidentally" closed out all my cards.  Since there is no expiration date on the cards, I bitched and they restored my value.  For my trouble I received 10 free passes, which I'm still sitting on in addition to the giftcards.  I'm still sitting on a Cinemark giftcard from 10 years ago.  I really don't enjoy going to the theater like you.  Even with the giftcards, I'd rather pay .59 at Redbox and watch it at home.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/19/05

Posted: 2/22/21 at 7:07pm
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend

Posted: 2/22/21 at 7:13pm

Tag said: "Can't wait"

Yep. Because that clip clearly shows people in masks in a 25% capacity theater so it’s literally the exact same thing.  

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/15/03

Posted: 2/23/21 at 11:42am
Movie theaters on Long Island have been open for quite some time now. In October I went to the local multiplex to see a Live in HD showing of FRANKENSTEIN from London's National Theater. I had to reserve my seat in advance but when I got into the auditorium I discovered I was the only one there.

The production was brilliant but the theater suspended all Live in HD presentations from that point on.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/15/10

Posted: 2/24/21 at 11:31am
ArtMan said: "Can't speak for the prices in your area. But that 30% off price is a joke. For example, the matinee showing of Tom & Jerry (which don't laugh..I kind of want to see) is $13.39 and that is with the 30% off. I just didn't want to sit in a theater with alot of people. Not because of covid, but because of cellphones, talking, munching, etc."

I was only going a few times a year for these reasons as well, I always end up in a theater with people who wanna do anything but actually watch the movie. Plus concession stand prices are always way overpriced too.

I'm happy for those here who actually enjoy going to the movies but I was going so few times as it was that I just don't see myself ever going again at this point simply because I enjoy watching from my couch so much more.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/2/05

Posted: 2/24/21 at 12:18pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Also, I’m curious if some of the films that pulled their theatrical releases will rethink that now. I, for one, would love to see “Barb and Star” in a theater with other people."

My guess would be most likely not, especially since the Los Angeles and San Francisco markets are still closed and will be for the foreseeable future. The current strategy for most studios is to hold out for the fall in the hopes that enough theaters across the country will be open. I'm curious to see what box office returns will look like after a year and a half of people watching the latest movies in their living rooms. Will people go to the movies in the same numbers that they did in 2019? 

Me personally, I'd rather wait until I can go see a movie in theaters without masks or social distancing. The more cynical part of me wonders whether people can really be trusted to keep their masks on in the dark for two hours when during pre-covid days, many people couldn't even stay off their phones for that long. 

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/04

Posted: 2/25/21 at 6:12am
Part of their too is that you have to start giving vaccinated people things to do as well, without out saying here this is for vaccinated people.
Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/04

Posted: 2/25/21 at 6:12am
Part of their too is that you have to start giving vaccinated people things to do as well, without out saying here this is for vaccinated people.
ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/26/03

Posted: 2/25/21 at 9:49am

I want to remain hopeful, but when I see news like this I think we might be jumping the gun. 

Going to the movies is one of the things I have missed most during the pandemic. But I don't think I'm ready to go back yet. Vaccinated or not.

"A new form of the coronavirus is spreading rapidly in New York City, and it carries a worrisome mutation that may weaken the effectiveness of vaccines, two teams of researchers have found.

The new variant, called B.1.526, first appeared in samples collected in the city in November. By the middle of this month, it accounted for about one in four viral sequences appearing in a database shared by scientists."

A New Coronavirus Variant Is Spreading in New York, Researchers Report

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

Posted: 2/25/21 at 3:00pm

Thank you for that article, I was not aware of the new strain here. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 8/12/09

Posted: 2/25/21 at 7:56pm

>I want to remain hopeful, but when I see news like this I think we might be jumping the gun.

But here's the thing, studies have been done showing no increase in COVID cases coming from Movie Theatres abroad and it's the dead of winter you HAVE to give people something to do because otherwise they're going to be crammed into each other's houses, not wearing masks, having poor ventilation, probably drinking which means talking louder which means more droplets.

Movie theatres being closed made sense in the summer when the weather was nicer and we didn't have the data. Now, people are far less likely to contract COVID in any of these public places than a single visit to someone's home which, deprived of things to do, they will do instead.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/26/03

Posted: 2/26/21 at 8:32am

That's encouraging news. I hope my concerns are unfounded. But then I read things like this:

"Covid-19 deaths will most likely never rise quite as precipitously as in the past, and the worst may be behind us. But if Americans let down their guard too soon — many states are already lifting restrictions — and if the variants spread in the United States as they have elsewhere, another spike in cases may well arrive in the coming weeks.

Scientists call it the fourth wave. The new variants mean “we’re essentially facing a pandemic within a pandemic,” said Adam Kucharski, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine."

The Coronavirus Is Plotting a Comeback. Here’s Our Chance to Stop It for Good.

My concern is that it looks like we are SO close to having this under control. Summer is right around the corner. It would suck if reopening too early put us into another wave. We've already lost enough.

JennH
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/14/13

Posted: 2/26/21 at 10:04am

TheatreFan4 said: ">I want to remain hopeful, but when I see news like this I think we might be jumping the gun.

But here's the thing, studies have been done showing no increase in COVID cases coming from Movie Theatres abroad and it's the dead of winter you HAVE to give people something to do because otherwise they're going to be crammed into each other's houses, not wearing masks, having poor ventilation, probably drinking which means talking louder which means more droplets.

Movie theatres being closed made sense in the summer when the weather was nicer and we didn't have the data. Now, people are far less likely to contract COVID in any of these public places than a single visit to someone's home which, deprived of things to do, they will do instead.
"

Dare I say I agree with this? It's frustrating seeing my fellow progressives knock this when certain places/activities have been shown to not be the culprit of spread. Restaurants make sense because guests aren't wearing their masks much of the time and they have been shown to be a culprit of spread for that very reason, which is plain common sense with a disease that's spread this way. 

Live entertainment makes sense to a great degree (even thought it sucks, we all know this) because even with masks, cramped spaces aren't ideal. Movie theaters and gyms are places that can easily do distancing measures along with mask measures. Why? Because they don't rely on the "sold out, butts in every seat" business model. You can easily do 25-50% capacity at the movies and gyms when the business model is low cost saturation. Everything being shut down last spring to buy time to figure out a plan while scientists studied this virus like crazy made sense. Sucky of course....but made sense. But that's not what happened. I don't need to say much about that. We're too far into the mistakes made that there is no "best decision" anymore, it's a lose/lose. Movie theaters could have been at a low capacity since the fall, but for whatever reason, Cuomo said no. And I'll be straight...while I do feel safer in this state than I would in most others, he deserves every ounce of criticism he's getting right now. I knew that the nursing home debacle would come back to bite him in the ass and here it is, right on time. 

Islander_fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 6/25/14

Posted: 2/26/21 at 6:46pm

One thing that AMC has been doing since they were able to reopen in various places was to show older movies and sell them for five bucks a pop. I noticed this a lot more in the beginning of their ability to reopen than now, since movie studios are releasing movies both in theatres and in home streaming services. For example, all of the new Warner Brothers releases this year are being shown both in theatres and on HBO Max, and Disney is releasing their new movie Raya and the Last Dragon both in theatres and as part of their premier access on Disney Plus for example. 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/7/12

Posted: 2/28/21 at 7:31pm
Cinemas down here in NC have been open for a few months now. I was a faithful A-Lister before the pandemic, but after going a few times when our theatres reopened, I cancelled because I simply wasn’t comfortable with it anymore. Even with the reduced capacity, socially distanced seating, and other safety measures, I still feel like there’s some risk that just isn’t worth it right now.

NC is opening vaccinations to frontline workers, which includes me, in a couple of weeks, so once I’m fully vaccinated I’ll likely feel comfortable going back. I do miss the movie theatre experience.

By the way, this is not at all intended as a dig towards those who are enjoying cinemas right now - to each their own. No judgement here. It’s just not for me at this time.
Islander_fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 6/25/14

Posted: 3/1/21 at 9:19am

I won’t lie, to fulfill my craving of going to the movies, I have, on occasion taken the PATH train from Herald Square to Jersey City to see a movie there. 

But, the one thing I do miss is seeing art house/indie films. And, while there are theatres in NYC that show those, I can’t wait for them to do so again.