Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Stroman/Kander's BEAST IN THE JUNGLE to become a film, with Frank Langella

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/6/12

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Frank-Langella-Will-Lead-THE-BEAST-IN-THE-JUNGLE-Film-Directed-by-Susan-Stroman-20210221

For those who don't know: this was a "dance play" that had its premier at Vineyard a few years back. It was essentially a play (no singing) that made heavy use of dance as a storytelling device, along with an incidental score by John Kander. 

It was one of my absolute favorite shows of that season. But it was horribly underrated IMO. I really thought it was a great candidate for a a Broadway transfer, but apparently I was the only one. Reception was pretty tepid, and it was quickly forgotten.

On one hand, I’m delighted that the material is getting a future life. But I also have a hard time imagining this translating to film. Especially since Susan Stroman’s last cinematic effort has been widely criticized for being too stagey. 

Also, I understand that Frank Langella is a much more famous actor than Peter Friedman, but Friedman was extraordinary in this role, and I wish he could've reprised it. I also think Friedman is just a superior actor to Langella in general. 

Updated On: 2/21/21 at 06:50 PM
¿Macavity?
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 1/29/16

I would've loved to have seen this on stage, the score is breathtaking! Also happy to see Susan Stroman getting another shot at film. The Producers was a treat for myself, as I didn't have the privilege to see it on Broadway.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

God, I loved this show. Being the front row and being able to absorb the most gorgeous music and dance I have seen in years was such an incredible gift. As the narrator spoke, I thought to myself "Frank Langella would be incredible in this." Wow. I cannot wait! 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend

Sutton Ross said: "God, I loved this show. Being the front row and being able to absorb the most gorgeous music and dance I have seen in years was such an incredible gift. As the narrator spoke, I thought to myself "Frank Langellawould be incredible in this." Wow. I cannot wait!"

I was in the front row as well! So magical! 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/1/04
I love the album. It would have been nice to see at Lincoln Center if it had transferred.
JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend

For anyone curious, here is the thread for when the show was running at the Vineyard

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1108442#

Seems like most people in the thread enjoyed the show, but some were lukewarm, and critics seemed even less enthusiastic.