Page: 1

Is This the Future of Broadway?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is This the Future of Broadway?#1
Posted: 11/23/20 at 7:20am

VICE posted this about rock concerts, but I think it applies to our world as well...

COVID-19 has put a stop to any parties, live music, nightlife, and while the virus rages on cultural events are put on hold indefinitely. But scientists in Leipzig, Germany are determined to restore fun and normalcy by staging a rock concert experiment to see how large indoor events can happen in a pandemic.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#2
Posted: 11/23/20 at 11:20am

But she only talked about the EXPERIENCE, not the results.   From a standpoint of an audience member....I would be FINE wearing a mask during a show.   I would want there to be empty seats all around me, and masks STILL required because I doubt that the vaccine can be mandated, nor will there be reliable ways to track who has and hasn't taken it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#3
Posted: 11/23/20 at 11:20am
Future? No. Temporary? Maybe but if they leave all those seats open to socially distance they will most likely raise the prices of all the tickets available since it wouldn't be worth it otherwise financially.
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#4
Posted: 11/23/20 at 11:43am

dramamama611 said: "But she only talked about the EXPERIENCE, not the results. From a standpoint of an audience member....I would be FINE wearing a mask during a show. I would want there to be empty seats all around me, and masks STILL required because I doubt that the vaccine can be mandated, nor will there be reliable ways to track who has and hasn't taken it."

It seems this was a study on the behavior and interaction of people at a concert. At least that is what I got from the results she read.

Wasn't to impressed with her though. She made it quite clear throughout the piece that she does not like masks. She came off as a bit selfish to me and not a "reporter" doing their job. 

Also the guy doing the experiment said that when the vaccine is available "We will no longer have to apply this".  I doubt that as we know a lot of people won't get the vaccine and I suspect we will be wearing masks for a while after a vaccine.

Also, the problem with Broadway is not just distancing the audience.

Just my opinion.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/23/20 at 11:43 AM
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#5
Posted: 11/23/20 at 12:07pm
This thread was posted five hours ago and the usual suspects still haven’t posted how Broadway won’t be returning until 2050. I hope they’re ok...
HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#6
Posted: 11/23/20 at 12:56pm

I don't know to whom you are referring but I think we will see Broadway start to return by late '21. (As I have been thinking since April.) But what we know as a certainty is that Broadway will not return in any meaningful sense with social distancing or without audiences including, for the most part, visitors from areas that are in a very bad way right now. 

@dramamama remember that whether others are vaccinated is a huge epidemiological issue but not a personal one once you yourself have immunity. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#7
Posted: 11/23/20 at 8:50pm
Yes, of course, but I think I'll still be a bit wary of how long the immunity is effective for quite some time. I'll likely be on the early side of getting this as an educator and expect to continue to be mandated to wear a mask for a while.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#8
Posted: 11/23/20 at 9:33pm
As someone who goes to shows alone, I wonder how that would work? Would they have single seats! Would they only allow small groups etc.

I think wearing a mask is totally fine but then would their be no concessions etc.
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#9
Posted: 11/23/20 at 9:54pm
When asked about this, Faucci said theaters will be able to reopen in 2021 but he thinks audience members will need to wear a mask for a good part of the year. Gonna be a weird year but at least we’ll see the return of theater at some point and I’m willing to wear anything they want, as long as it can safely happen.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#10
Posted: 11/23/20 at 10:41pm

Slightly on topic.  In my city, we already have venues open with concerts, comics, ballet (Nutcracker) and plays scheduled.  These are venues with less than 2000 seats.  They are selling fewer tickets and social distancing the seats.  The ticket value is higher on some shows and are average for the others.  Masks are suppose to be required.  If anyone has ever been to the Florida Theatre in Jacksonville, it reopens the first week in December.  Our dinner theatre has been open for a couple of months, with social distanced seats and masks required (when not eating/drinking)  I attended a show last month and they did a good job.  Of course that was less than 200 people.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Is This the Future of Broadway?#11
Posted: 11/24/20 at 1:27am

Pippin opens in Sydney tonight.  They are selling 50% capacity.  Social distancing available upon request.  All audience members to wear masks in foyers and theatre.  I assume that means no bar/food service.
Staggered arrival times. Temperature checks.
I do not see it for another two weeks but thought I would share. Note - we have very few cases here and have no locally transmitted cases for 16 days now.  Frozen opens next month.  

Fingers crossed.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'
blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is This the Future of Broadway?#12
Posted: 11/24/20 at 1:46am

brettystar said: "Pippin opens in Sydney tonight. They are selling 50% capacity. Social distancing available upon request. All audience members to wear masks in foyers and theatre. I assume that means no bar/food service.
Staggered arrival times. Temperature checks.
I do not see it for another two weeks but thought I would share. Note - we have very few cases here and have no locally transmitted cases for 16 days now. Frozen opens next month.

Fingers crossed.
"

I wouldn't mind attending with restrictions if they would also clarify how cast, tech and staff are being protected. 

I can't help but think that they are being exposed and are participating because it's their livelihood and not because their work environment is safe.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE