Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

What will Biden's election do for the theater?

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What will the election of Joseph R. Biden Jr as President of the United States do for the theater, and the other arts?

“The future of who we are lies in the arts,” Biden told Lin-Manuel Miranda in August. “It is the expression of our soul.”

Actors Equity, Be An #ArtsHero's Matthew-Lee Ehrlbach weigh in.

Biden’s Dog. Broadway’s Hope. Will the Arts Be Saved? #Stageworthy News of the Week

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not a thing sad to say
Poster Emeritus
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh Jesus, Roxy. Don’t you and the Mrs. have a 2pm dinner reservation at TGIFridays that you need to be at so you can verbally abuse your server?
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It will be so wonderful to have intelligent people who love the arts back in the White House. I hope the Biden family take in many plays and musicals, especially with their lovely grandchildren. 

The Gray House

There is no literature or poetry in this White House.

No music.

No Kennedy Center award celebrations.

There are no pets in this White House.

No loyal man’s best friend. No Socks the family cat.

No kids science fairs.

No times when this president takes off his blue suit-red tie uniform and becomes human, except when he puts on his white shirt- khaki pants uniform and hides from Americans to play golf.

There are no images of the first family enjoying themselves together in a moment of relaxation.

No Obama’s on the beach in Hawaii moments, or Bushes fishing in Kennebunkport, no Kennedys playing touch football on the Cape.

I was thinking the other day of the summer when George H couldn’t catch a fish and all the grandkids made signs and counted the fish-less days.

And somehow, even if you didn’t even like GHB, you got caught up in the joy of a family that loved each other and had fun.

Where did that country go? Where did all of the fun and joy and expressions of love and happiness go?

We used to be a country that did the ice bucket challenge and raised millions for charity.

We used to have a president that calmed and soothed the nation instead of dividing it.

And a First Lady that planted a garden instead of ripping one out.

We are rudderless and joyless.

We have lost the cultural aspects of a society that makes America great.

We have lost our mojo, our fun, our happiness.

The cheering on of others.

The shared experiences of humanity that make it all worth it.

The challenges and the triumphs that we shared and celebrated.

The unique can-do spirit Americans have always been known for.

We have lost so much in such a short time.

-Elayne Griffin Baker

Oh and hey Roxy? Piss Off. 

Updated On: 11/9/20 at 05:44 PM
TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It’ll certainly give Broadway a better shot of reopening sooner than later since he’ll actually take covid seriously.
Globefan
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

It'll get the pandemic under control.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
Stand-by
Stand-by

It absolutely means Broadway will be back sooner than it would have been under another Trump term. Who knows when that will be but I am thoroughly convinced the date will be sooner now because the pandemic will get under control sooner.

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Fingers crossed

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

To be honest, I don't think it will do anything directly for theatre. I think it will all be indirect, that the community will reap the benefits of...not that there's anything wrong with that. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I foresee plays about the Trump years, what they meant and how they exposed something that remains very vital in the country that was hitherto veiled and is now nightmarish. 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Not directly related, but I'll bet he'll be at the Kennedy Center Honors the next time they're held live...