Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1



Help finding three person comedic acting scene

Kimberly9
Swing
joined:9/29/20
Swing | Joined: 9/29/20

I am currently student directing a scene for competition and am struggling with finding a comedic three-person scene from a play. Preferably 2F 1M. Thank you please I need help asap> 

Updated On: 9/29/20 at 10:51 AM
jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
Broadway Legend
joined:3/8/06
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/8/06
HELP!!#2
Posted: 9/29/20 at 10:55am

If musical vs. straight play, what about “I’ve Decided to Marry You” from Gentleman’s Guide to Murder?

Kimberly9
Swing
joined:9/29/20
Swing | Joined: 9/29/20
HELP!!#3
Posted: 9/29/20 at 10:58am

AHH I'm sorry, I forgot to mention it has to be a straight play! Thank you for your suggestion tho. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Star
joined:12/10/18
Broadway Star | Joined: 12/10/18
HELP!!#4
Posted: 9/29/20 at 11:01am

Kimberly9 said: "I forgot to mention it has to be a straight play! "

 

And it has to be a "straight" play because????

 

NUEK
Kimberly9
Swing
joined:9/29/20
Swing | Joined: 9/29/20
HELP!!#5
Posted: 9/29/20 at 11:07am

I am presenting this at Florida state thespians regional competition and it is just one of the guidelines. I am not sure why but basically it needs to be a short scene from a non-musical published play. I specifically wanted to do a comedy because my director does not feel we should do dramas or tragedies right now and I have three actors interested in performing a scene. I am asking the forum for ideas because I am not all that familiar with 'straight' plays and wanted ideas. 

StefanieBway<3
Swing
joined:10/25/17
Swing | Joined: 10/25/17
HELP!!#6
Posted: 9/29/20 at 11:24am

There are some good three person scenes in Barefoot in the Park - with "The Mother", Corie, and Paul. It's a great Neil Simon play, a bit of light hearted comedy.

JSquared2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/23/17
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/23/17
HELP!!#7
Posted: 9/29/20 at 11:40am

Kimberly9 said: "I am presenting this at Florida state thespians regional competition and it is just one of the guidelines. I am not sure why but basically it needs to be a short scene from a non-musical published play. I specifically wanted to do a comedy because my director does not feel we should do dramas or tragediesright nowand I have three actors interested in performing a scene. I am asking the forum for ideas because I am not all that familiar with 'straight' plays and wanted ideas."

You keep using the term "straight plays". Do you mean you can't use any plays that have LGBTQ themes?  Or that you want a "play" and not a "musical?  If it's the latter, no need to include "straight" -- you can just say "a play" and we'll know what you're talking about.

Also, rather than just shout for HELP!!! in your subject line -- maybe just state (without the CAPS) what you are looking for?  You'll get more responses that way.

 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
joined:5/13/04
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/13/04
HELP!!#8
Posted: 9/29/20 at 11:47am

JSquared2 said: "Kimberly9 said: "I am presenting this at Florida state thespians regional competition and it is just one of the guidelines. I am not sure why but basically it needs to be a short scene from a non-musical published play. I specifically wanted to do a comedy because my director does not feel we should do dramas or tragediesright nowand I have three actors interested in performing a scene. I am asking the forum for ideas because I am not all that familiar with 'straight' plays and wanted ideas."

You keep using the term "straight plays". Do you mean you can't use any plays that have LGBTQ themes? Or that you want a "play" and not a "musical? If it's the latter, no need to include "straight" -- you can just say "a play" and we'll know what you're talking about.

Also, rather than just shout for HELP!!! in your subject line -- maybe just state(without the CAPS) what you are looking for? You'll get more responses that way."


 

Not understanding all of this questioning over the word "straight". Plays have been called straight plays for years. I knew exactly what the OP meant.

 

Just give the world Love.
Kimberly9
Swing
joined:9/29/20
Swing | Joined: 9/29/20
three person acting scene #9
Posted: 9/29/20 at 11:48am

I appreciate your feedback and I believe I changed my subject line, I am still trying to figure this out. As to my previous terminology, I apologize if that were offensive or incorrect that is just the terminology I was taught and the phrasing my director uses. The play can have any sort of theme, it just cannot be from a musical. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
Broadway Legend
joined:5/11/06
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/11/06
three person acting scene#10
Posted: 9/29/20 at 3:43pm

Vanya Sonya Masha and Spike likely has some scenes - But I loaned my copy of the sciprt out and never got it back.

How long does the scene need to be - minimum/maximum.  And does the scene need to be complete?  For example, the balcony scene in Cyrano starts out humorous - before Cyrano takes over the talking. 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
joined:12/7/12
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/7/12
three person acting scene#11
Posted: 9/29/20 at 6:37pm
Kimberly - “straight play” is a very common term for non-musical works and there is nothing wrong with using it. It’s been used for a long time and has no offensive connotations. Ignore those who are questioning it - their lack of knowledge is showing.

As far as your question goes, I would suggest looking into the works of George Kaufman, Neil Simon, Moss Hart, and Thornton Wilder. These would be a good starting place. If you’re allowed to do classical work, Shakespeare has a lot of great stuff - but I have a feeling that this competition is likely looking for contemporary play selections.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Legend
joined:12/2/10
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/2/10
three person acting scene#12
Posted: 9/29/20 at 8:55pm

Are you thinking of a comedy?  I agree with the above assessment about Neil Simon. You might find some fun scenes between Corrie, her mother and her husband or the man upstairs in Barefoot in the Park..

Owen22
Broadway Legend
joined:2/24/11
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/24/11
three person acting scene#13
Posted: 9/29/20 at 9:46pm
Actually, Neil Simon's Star-Spangled Girl only has three characters in the entire play so there are tons of scrnes to choose from.
Alisa Zoe
Swing
joined:9/30/20
Swing | Joined: 9/30/20
three person acting scene#14
Posted: 9/30/20 at 9:21am

From which movie?

kaykordeath
Stand-by
joined:4/14/17
Stand-by | Joined: 4/14/17
three person acting scene#15
Posted: 9/30/20 at 9:40am

There a few good choices from All in the Timing by David Ives

The Philadelphia is probably the most straightforward

Words, Words, Words has your 3 cast members playing monkeys

The Universal Language requires someone with a nimble tongue