Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

City Center To Stream Dance/Musical Theater This Fall

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I got this email from NYCC this morning. Something to look forward to!

September 14, 2020

Dear Friends,

I hope this finds you and your families safe and well. Like many of you, I never imagined that nearly six months after the coronavirus pandemic befell our city, theaters would still be closed, and I would be writing to you once again from my homethis time to share my vision for the season ahead.

We are living through a singular moment in our history. Almost daily, I pause to consider what the future has in store for all of us. As we navigate the ever-changing landscape of the pandemic, contend with an economic recession that has left so many in our community without employment, and actively commit to the ongoing work of being an anti-racist organization, now more than ever I feel City Center has a unique responsibility to serve the city for which it is named.

We may not be able to welcome audiences into the theater yet, but after six months of darkness, I am delighted to announce that we are turning the lights back on at New York City Center this fall. This season we will bring unforgettable dance and musical theater presentations filmed live from our stage and studios directly to you in your homes. You will see the programs you know and love alongside new initiatives to take you behind the scenes into the creative process. We are steadfast in our commitment to support artists at this crucial time, and, with rigorous health and safety protocols in place, we are thrilled to have them back in our building where they belong.

City Centers mandate to make the arts accessible to the broadest possible audience remains at the core of what we do. Many of our virtual programs will be available to the public for free. We will continue to collaborate with our school and community partners to bring our work beyond the stage (or screen, this year). Our programs will demonstrate to arts lovers around the world that the best in the performing arts is still right here in New York City.

In the coming weeks and months, we will announce more details about the programs we have planned for this fall and throughout the year. Though we do not yet know when we will be able to reopen our doors to you, our audiences, one thing is certainit is not a matter of if, but when. Until then, I look forward to celebrating the joy of music and dance with you in new and exciting ways at a time when we need it most.

Thank you for all that you do to support City Center and for continuing on this journey with us.

With warmest wishes,
Arlene Shuler
President & CEO
SmoothLover Profile PhotoSmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What is great is that they will be programs that have not already been streamed on PBS.