Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Where are touring sets currently at?

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#1
Posted: 9/10/20 at 3:40pm
Are they still set up at the last theatre they performed in or have they been put into storage?
itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photoitsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Where are touring sets currently at?#2
Posted: 9/10/20 at 3:46pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Are they still set up at the last theatre they performed in or have they been put into storage?"

I know several have been moved into storage, and I imagine most have by this point.

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#3
Posted: 9/10/20 at 4:02pm
I think the Dolly set must be at its last abrupt stop. From what I gathered from social media they were all sent home fairly quickly .
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
seaweedjstubbs Profile Photoseaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Where are touring sets currently at?#4
Posted: 9/10/20 at 4:31pm
The Dolly set has long been loaded out. I doubt any tour still has their sets in the last city they were in.
trpguyy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#5
Posted: 9/10/20 at 5:12pm
Most are in storage, some indeed are still up in the last theater.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#6
Posted: 9/10/20 at 5:27pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "The Dolly set has long been loaded out. I doubt any tour still has their sets in the last city they were in."

Wrong.

NOLAguy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Where are touring sets currently at?#7
Posted: 9/10/20 at 5:36pm
WICkED’s set is still in the Overture Center for the Performing Arts. The venue’s Instagram geo tag has some cool/eerie photos of it!
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#8
Posted: 9/10/20 at 5:53pm

Hamilton (Phillip tour) is still sitting onstage in Toronto.  And not likely going anywhere due to border closures and American tour staff back in the US (and not around to supervise a load-out).

HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#9
Posted: 9/10/20 at 7:29pm

this is a good time to mention again that there are no rules. There is no monolith that decides how to deal with things. Does the original question really expect an answer? Now if one asked "where is the set that was in x venue, there could be an answer. But to the question posed, no answer. We seem to have a disproportionately high number of this type of question nowadays. Maybe it is one of the many covid 19 symptoms that is only now being discovered. 

markypoo Profile Photomarkypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Where are touring sets currently at?#10
Posted: 9/10/20 at 8:11pm

HogansHero said: "this is a good time to mention again that there are no rules. There is no monolith that decides how to deal with things. Does the original question really expect an answer? Now if one asked "where is the set that was in x venue, there could be an answer. But to the question posed, no answer. We seem to have a disproportionately high number of this type of question nowadays. Maybe it is one of the many covid 19 symptoms that is only now being discovered."

HogansHero: Once again, you hit it home succinctly.

Thanks.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photoseaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Where are touring sets currently at?#11
Posted: 9/10/20 at 8:26pm

DAME said: "seaweedjstubbs said: "The Dolly set has long been loaded out. I doubt any tour still has their sets in the last city they were in."

Wrong.

"

Well if the Dolly sets aren’t loaded out, the lights for the tour are. A friend of mine worked on the lights on tour and I remember him talking about loading out. I just assumed that meant the entire set as well. My mistake.

SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#12
Posted: 9/10/20 at 9:35pm
So is Tootise still going out?
morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#13
Posted: 9/10/20 at 11:29pm

Well if the Dolly sets aren’t loaded out, the lights for the tour are. A friend of mine worked on the lights on tour and I remember him talking about loading out. I just assumed that meant the entire set as well. My mistake.

Typically shows rent all of their lighting and sound equipment. No use paying rent on equipment that isn't being used. The sets and costumes typically belong to the producer.

kdogg36 Profile Photokdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#14
Posted: 9/11/20 at 9:15am

HogansHero said: "Does the original question really expect an answer? Now if one asked "where is the set that was in x venue, there could be an answer. But to the question posed, no answer."

With all due respect for the knowledge and perspective you bring to this board, the original question seems perfectly well-formed and fairly interesting to me. The responses on this thread constitute the answer. The fact that it’s a somewhat complex answer, rather than a binary choice, only makes the discussion more interesting. 

Phantom4ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#15
Posted: 9/11/20 at 10:17am

Yeah I agree with the last post and the fact that there is not one central authority over touring sets is irrelevant and unnecessary to bring up. And yes, it does make it more interesting. A touring house in Florida was stuck with a Hamilton set and the local kids have been playing on it?  That would be fascinating. A touring house in Arizona wants the last show's set out but there are now stagehands around to get it out, and it's basically abandoned?  Those are the kind of cool stories that perhaps we would hear if condescension and know-it-all-ism didn't get in the way. I'm sorry we have to have a new thread started every week about when Broadway is reopening, but let's not use it as an excuse to be obnoxious ourselves.

I am curious about these theaters. Are there touring houses that have had a closed down Wicked or Hamilton set in them since March?  There's something so creepy and sad about that. And the Broadway houses....I'm curious as to if any of these sets need some sort of attending to or have they just been left to sit gathering dust since March?  My deepest apology if these questions are a symptom of COVID-19 ignorance but since this is uncharted territory, I thought maybe someone who works at these theaters might know. 

Updated On: 9/11/20 at 10:17 AM
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#16
Posted: 9/11/20 at 10:35am

You have asked some good and interesting questions, Phantom. But "Those are the kind of cool stories that perhaps we would hear if condescension and know-it-all-ism didn't get in the way" is way off-base. Those are the kind of stories that perhaps we would hear if folks asked good questions. Encouraging good questions is not condescension; it seeks to elevate the discourse in the direction you seem to look forward to.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#17
Posted: 9/11/20 at 11:13am

Here's the previously mentioned Wicked set, as it sits in Madison:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEhHmEwJiq-/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 9/11/20 at 11:13 AM
Phantom4ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#18
Posted: 9/11/20 at 11:19am

Wow Lizzie thank you for that picture. I wonder if someone at BWW or Playbill could arrange to get into all currently-used Broadway theaters and get a picture of the set with the ghostlight as it looks 6 months into the pandemic?  It would be devastating and haunting to see.

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#19
Posted: 9/11/20 at 12:28pm

HogansHero said: "this is a good time to mention again that there are no rules. There is no monolith that decides how to deal with things. Does the original question really expect an answer? Now if one asked "where is the set that was in x venue, there could be an answer. But to the question posed, no answer. We seem to have a disproportionately high number of this type of question nowadays. Maybe it is one of the many covid 19 symptoms that is only now being discovered."

Hey Hogan. I appreciate the response, but I don’t appreciate the tone. It’s just a simple question my guy. If you don’t like the question you don’t have to answer it and you don’t have to critique the question itself. I know you like to be the be-all and end-all of responses here. In reality, you’re just another nobody on a broadway message board like the rest of us. So, treat it like it. This isn’t a scientific review bud.

cheers!

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#20
Posted: 9/11/20 at 12:46pm

LizzieCurry said: "Here's the previously mentioned Wicked set, as it sits in Madison:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEhHmEwJiq-/
"

That's what it would look like between performances without the pandemic. It's not like walking into a dilapidated house.

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#21
Posted: 9/11/20 at 12:53pm

Phantom4ever said: "And the Broadway houses....I'm curious as to if any of these sets need some sort of attending to or have they just been left to sit gathering dust since March? "

The sets will absolutely need to be tested (and probably cleaned) before any actors go near them. In theory, stagehands could go in and tend to them on a semi-regular basis (assuming the theater owners allow it), but with no money coming in, who's going to pay them for such upkeep? Better to deal with it once performances are able to resume.

DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#22
Posted: 9/11/20 at 2:56pm
Call Me Jorge snd Hogan’s Hero.. I don’t think of either of you as nobody’s on this board . I enjoy your posts immensely. But yeah...Tone. I am guilty of that at times as well. But part of the fun for me.
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#23
Posted: 9/11/20 at 3:47pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Hey Hogan. I appreciate the response, but I don’t appreciate the tone. It’s just a simple question my guy. If you don’t like the question you don’t have to answer it and you don’t have to critique the question itself. I know you like to be the be-all and end-all of responses here. In reality, you’re just another nobody on a broadway message board like the rest of us. So, treat it like it. This isn’t a scientific review bud.

cheers!
"

I don't think the tone was that bad. I just aspire to see better from us because it makes the board more interesting without requiring as much heavy lifting by everyone else. I also don't think you are a nobody and I have appreciated yours posts before. I don't think reading what we write before hitting post, to see if we can advance the discussion more effectively, is all that bad a thing to do (I do it without breaking a sweat), but hey, if you don't want to, don't. 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photoitsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Where are touring sets currently at?#24
Posted: 9/11/20 at 3:59pm

Phantom4ever said: "Wow Lizzie thank you for that picture. I wonder if someone at BWW or Playbill could arrange to get into all currently-used Broadway theaters and get a picture of the set with the ghostlight as it looks 6 months into the pandemic? It would be devastating and haunting to see."

I believe if a photographer is in the house, all department heads need to be there (and be paid) so that probably won't happen. But I bet we'll see some unauthorized camera phone shots on social media as people are in the theaters for various reasons.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where are touring sets currently at?#25
Posted: 9/11/20 at 5:35pm

Fosse76, it's still going to look cool to those of us who haven't seen a set in a touring house between performances.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt