Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

A Thread for Live Performances Happening in NY

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In the past few months, there have been a few scattered live performances being done around the NY area - with social distancing measures in place, obviously. And yet I keep finding out about them AFTER they've already happened (the most recent example being the Open Jar concert that Jordan posted about).

I know there was also the outdoor show that The Team (Rachel Chavkin's company) did in Bushwick - again, I found out about it just a few days after it ended. And then there was that immersive show that Michael Arden did upstate, though I know that was by invite only.

I think part of the reason I keep missing the announcements is that there's so much online theatre content right now, that my brain doesn't sift out the scattered live performance when glancing through the headlines. I just see "performance happening" and assume it's online. And because I haven't really been watching much online performance either, I especially can't keep track of when the live ones are happening.

So I'm starting this thread in the hopes that it can become a place to give a heads up about any and all live (socially distanced) performances that are happening in NY, and also to discuss them after the fact, if we so choose. 

So, does anyone know of anything coming up? Did anyone see Quince (the show from The Team) or the Michael Arden show? 

Updated On: 9/9/20 at 01:11 PM
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awesome idea for a thread!!! A Thread for Live Performances Happening in NY
mcsquared
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

I've been getting email updates from TimeOut and TDF

JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks Anakela!! I think I might end up doing the Gelsey Bell thing! 

The Toulouse-Latrec one is a bit out of my price-range. Does anyone know if it's on TDF? I let my subscription expire. 

ImAProphet
Understudy
Understudy
Just checked TDF, all the offerings are streaming only.
Anakela Profile PhotoAnakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought this one was going to be just a streaming performance, then caught this part in this article. [Also why can't I post clickable links here anymore?]

"To adhere to social-distancing practices, a small, invited group of folks from the community and friends of the theater will be able to watch the production in person."

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-wendell-pierce-12-angry-men-black-lives-matter-brooklyn-restoration-20200912-inbksx4st5b7zljp3d43qvtqya-story.html
VintageSnarker
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Am I understanding the Gelsey Bell/Greenwood Cemetery one correctly? You can just explore at your own leisure? If so, it's a great way to avoid a lot of the problems with having people packed together in a confined space for 1-2 hours.
Fan123 Profile PhotoFan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I happened across this Threepenny Opera production in late October through mid-November, for which you can buy tickets either for a live performance or for a livestream. Don't know anything else about it, but... it could be good? https://www.citylyricopera.org/threepenny-opera

JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This past weekend I went to experience Gelsey Bell's piece "Cairns" (which I found out about through this thread! Already so helpful!) 

I thought it was a beautiful piece: insightful, creative, and unique. It blended personal musings with interesting facts, themes of nature and history, and a fascinating use of music and vocalization. All woven into a brilliant sound design.

Definitely pushing the limits of what can be considered theatre, but when doing it, I felt like I was in a site-specific immersive show, even though there were no live actors. In a way, it sort of felt like I was an actor in the show, as well as the audience, because I was responsible for carrying out the demands of the piece. 

I highly recommend doing this; even if you don't consider it "theatre," strictly speaking, it's still a cool experience. Plus it was only $7, which you can even split with a friend if you want, and you can do it at any time that the cemetery is open. Technically, you could do this at any time in the future, maybe even years down the line. In fact, going back years later to see what things have changed and what haven't, might add a whole new layer to the experience.

But there's also something so magical about hearing her talk about the surroundings, and to find that they matched what I was seeing almost exactly. So in that sense, I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later. 

JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Bill Irwin will be doing 18 performances of an 8-minute solo piece performed on the street. Unfortunately (for me), it's only available to Vineyard Theatre members. 

https://www.vineyardtheatre.org/the-busking-project/

Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This one isn't a live performance, but if you're looking for something a bit more active than just watching Zoom, Experimental Bitch Presents just sent out a link for preorders (regular access opens 9/23) for IN THE KITCHEN, which is an audio play + recipe box. It was originally supposed to be a theatrical event that used live cooking on stage, now it's an audio play that you listen to while cooking in your home. 

https://experimentalbitchpresents.com/archive-events/2019/in-the-kitchen

Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This is along the lines of the Gelsey Bell piece - you download an app ahead of time, then listen/walk on your own - with the NY Phil, in Central Park. 

https://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/explore/series-and-festivals/soundwalk

Pashacar
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

https://everythingimmersive.com/events/intralia-the-weird-park

Saw this mentioned as another curated theatrical walk thing. Sounds similar to the Gelsey Bell piece, which I absolutely loved, but in Prospect Park.