Page: 1

Survival Jobs

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#1
Posted: 9/7/20 at 3:00am

What sort of survival jobs have those of you who work in the theater been able to pick up? 

Islander_fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Survival Jobs#2
Posted: 9/7/20 at 8:36am
For me, nothing as of yet. But, I do know many ushers who do have day jobs and some of them have day jobs which they are still able to do. Some remotely some in person.
AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#3
Posted: 9/7/20 at 10:06am

I took a full-time childcare position this summer for a family with two small kids. It was a bit exhausting but it paid well. The job ends this week and I'll be filing for unemployment while I look for another gig. Luckily I have money to tide me over and a small savings I can dip into if things get dire. I know a lot of people who've picked up childcare gigs, work at grocery stores, driving for delivery services, some waiters and bartenders, etc. A job's a job when you need money.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
unclevictor
Understudy
Understudy
Survival Jobs#4
Posted: 9/7/20 at 10:16am
Onlyfans
trpguyy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#5
Posted: 9/7/20 at 11:16am
The country is facing record unemployment, so it’s not like there are a ton of jobs available to shift into. Childcare and elder care seem to be the most popular jobs that entertainment folks have picked up, but most are completely unemployed and will be for a while still.
Lanie J
Swing
Swing
Survival Jobs#6
Posted: 9/7/20 at 12:57pm
A guy from my town graduated with his BFA in musical theatre in 2019, and he moved back home to work at a local retail store until things pick up again. He's one of the nicest guys around and I get excited every time I see him.
"See a picture of a woman wearing four years of confusion like a scar."
Tag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#7
Posted: 9/7/20 at 1:00pm

Lanie J said: "A guy from my town graduated with his BFA in musical theatre in 2019, and he moved back home to work at a local retail store until things pick up again."

I mean that happens 99% of the time, in normal times...

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#8
Posted: 9/7/20 at 1:30pm
I may well be an audience of one, but there are some Broadway/national tour ladies who I would pay out the nose for their OnlyFans...

But I know the real money is in the chorus boys.
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#9
Posted: 9/7/20 at 2:51pm

Resourceful actually. A way to make money which had not occurred to me. One would not have to worry about a decent wardrobe or wearing a mask and you can do it from your home. 

Updated On: 9/7/20 at 02:51 PM
Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#10
Posted: 9/25/20 at 4:11pm

think creatively and just find something...https://www.thecut.com/article/robbie-fairchild-bookay-nyc.html

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#11
Posted: 10/6/20 at 1:27am

NY1 On Stage this week was about survival jobs. Besides highlighting Robbie, there was a segment on a set designer who was building the structures for some NYC outdoor cafes as well as a costume designer who employed 400 union members to craft hospital gowns for NYC.

thedrybandit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Survival Jobs#12
Posted: 10/6/20 at 12:07pm

Nothing yet. I've had a few interviews, but mostly they see that I've made my career in theater and don't want to hire me because they think I'll leave the minute theater is back.

Which isn't wrong, but still.

kesavareddy102@gmail.com
Swing
Swing
Survival Jobs#13
Posted: 10/6/20 at 1:57pm

I am not worried about the unemployment nowadays because, i have been working as a lowes employee at myloweslife. I will definitely help my fellow mates and other interested guys in getting their job but they have to first make sure that they have adequate skills and the ability to work in different location, etc.

Survival jobs is again a different concept which made me think about it,

Thanks & Regards, 

Kesava Reddy.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Survival Jobs#14
Posted: 10/6/20 at 2:11pm

Nope.