Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

New Tony rules are likely to ice out The Lightning Thief

AdamFeldman
Swing
Swing

It wasn't in the release today, but the Tonys made a pretty big rule change that will almost certainly have the effect of kneecapping The Lightning Thief this year, as I explain here: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/the-final-rules-for-the-2020-tony-awards-have-been-announced-082820

Without this change, The Lightning Thief would have been guaranteed at least eight nominations; now it's more likely to be up for one or two.

What do you think? Was this the right call to "ensure broad recognition of excellent work that occurred during the abbreviated Broadway season while also protecting the integrity of the Award"? Or should the Tonys have been generous and just nominated everyone?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photojacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The more empathetic part of me wants to say these could have been extenuating circumstances that were not in anyone's control, so nominate a show that was (for lack of a better word) balls-y enough to open on Broadway and early enough in the season.

However at the same time, this is an historical award honor and I am thankful they are still making it a point to keep the awards' integrity in check.

I am not a proponent of "participation ribbons," even if my former statement makes it seem as such, but these are still "the Tony Awards", albeit a far more truncated one than in years' past, that in history will always have a certain pedigree and prestige to them and its unfortunate that all tables seem to be turned at the oddball out for whatever their reasons.

Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Lightning Thief was pure garbage, and even though the Tonys are weird this year, I doubt it will be awarded or celebrated for anything important. 

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry but....good.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm sure we could all think of some Tony Award winning shows of the past far less worthy than The Lightening Thief. The "integrity" or prestige of any award is purely a personal assessment.

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CATSNYrevival said: "I'm sure we could all think of some Tony Award winning shows of the past far less worthy than The Lightening Thief.“

I can’t think of any.....

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing a win by default, I just believe awards only cary the prestige we give to them.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photobwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Good. The Lightning Thief was by far the worst thing I have ever seen on a Broadway stage (or any stage, for that matter). Absolute garbage through and through. It set a new low bar.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Wayman_Wong
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

''I'm sure we could all think of some Tony Award winning shows of the past far less worthy than The Lightening Thief. The "integrity" or prestige of any award is purely a personal assessment.''

I couldn't agree more. Look through the history of the Tonys and you'll find shows that were (subjectively) less worthy than ''The Lightning Thief'' that sometimes filled out a category or even won.

So much comes down to the tastes of the nominators. When ''The Lightning Thief'' was Off-Broadway, it got 3 nominations from the Drama Desk, including Best Musical, alongside ''Anastasia,'' ''The Band's Visit,'' ''Come From Away'' and ''Hadestown.'' ''Come From Away'' won.

Speaking of Time Out NY, I looked up their 2017 review of ''The Lightning Thief.'' It got 4 stars out of 5, and reviewer Raven Snook raved: ''Judging from the enthusiastic reactions from the tweens surrounding me, this musicalization of Rick Riordan's best-selling YA mash-up of Greek myths and modern-day adolescence is worthy of the gods. But with its campy humor, clever no-tech effects, and agreeable pop-rock tunes, it offers pleasures for mere mortal grown-ups, too.''

Updated On: 8/28/20 at 03:57 PM
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm sure we could all think of some Tony Award winning shows of the past far less worthy than The Lightening Thief.

Actually no, I really cannot. And it's called "The Lightning Thief". 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photobwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Add me to the camp that cannot think of a less worthy show than The Lightning Thief.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Damn, y’all are so hateful. I loved The Lightning Thief downtown and think the score is a ton of fun. I can name half a dozen shows I’ve enjoyed less that have been nominated for Best Musical/Score/Actor in the past 10 years. But no one here wants to even consider that thought so I won’t waste my time. Enjoy the Tonys, folks. Sheesh.
AdamFeldman
Swing
Swing

The general consensus seems to be that the show worked a lot better Off Broadway than it did on Broadway. But yes, I think the score will be nominated and stands a pretty good chance of winning.

Updated On: 8/28/20 at 04:40 PM
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've said before, I've said it recently, but I'm going to keep saying it, because I seem to be the only one: 

They should give the win to Jason Michael Webb for The Rose Tattoo! 

I thought Lightning Thief was utter garbage, but mostly because of Stephen Brackett's work. I had the advantage of having read the books, and listened to the album before seeing it. I think the album has a some catchy songs, and some clever lyrics. Likewise, I think the musical's book is a structurally sound, and even impressive distillation of the events of the novel. I also thought the use of puppetry and found objects was pretty cool. But it was all blown to bits in the abysmal execution. 

Meanwhile, I thought Jagged Little Pill was also complete and utter garbage, with even fewer redeeming qualities than Lightning Thief. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile PhotoMrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Weak shows have won best musical. Redhead, Applause, Raisin and Two Gentleman of Verona were celebrated for their stars. Not their books and scores. Yet they won best musical. (Verona beat Sondheim's Follies!)

But the only thing I like about Lightning Thief is the song "Good Kid." It's a show like "Be More Chill" that seems written for schools. Sad for LT's creators if they were hoping to get in by default. But the Broadway production will still give them cultural cache that will keep them on drama teacher's radars.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jordan Catalano said: "CATSNYrevival said: "I'm sure we could all think of some Tony Award winning shows of the past far less worthy than The Lightening Thief.“

I can’t think of any.....
"

Neither can I. That was awful.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
“Lightning Thief” winning Best Score would definitely be on track with 2020, though. It would make absolute sense this year that some of the worst music ever created would end up on the same list as “Follies”, “Fiddler”, “Cabaret”, “South Pacific”, etc. etc.
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Though Lightning Thief closed on Broadway already, it's still planning to do a national tour and any Tony nomination can help with its marketing.

We are still in the middle of a pandemic and Broadway is bleeding. I'm ok with keeping the rules as is and if Lightning Thief is eligible to be nominated, then why not? I'm not saying it should win but Lightning Thief did play by the rules the Tony Awards had set beforehand and pandemic wasn't Lightning Thief's fault.

temms Profile Phototemms Profile Photo
temms
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

They saw fit to not give out a Best Score Tony in 1969 for some reason, and the eligible shows included Hair, Zorba, 1776, and Promises Promises. Just pointing out that there's precedence, though with the Tonys it's really just Calvinball and they make up the rules as they go along year by year.

broadwayfan4ever
Swing
Swing

No, that was a year when the BEST MUSICAL Tony went to the composer, lyricist, book writer and producer. They didn’t “Eliminate” best score—-it was just part of BEST MUSICAL.

WldKingdomHM Profile PhotoWldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

Good! I would rather sit watching Thou Shalt Not ten millions time than Lighting Thief. Horrible show

Wayman_Wong
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In 1989, the Tonys chose NOT to give out Best Score (or Best Book), even though there were four available candidates: ''Chu Chem,'' ''Legs Diamond,'' ''Starmites'' and ''Welcome to the Club.''

Interestingly, the Time Out NY article notes: 

''Since the Tonys did not announce the elimination of this category, we can infer that it will not be eliminated. This represents one of The Lighting Thief's best chances for a nomination, since it is the only new musical this year with an original score. The other three slots in the category will go to music from plays; The InheritanceSlave PlayThe Sound InsideThe Rose TattooSea Wall/A Life and The Height of the Storm would appear to be eligible.''

For MrsSallyAdams: Here's video of Chris McCarrell singing ''Good Kid'' from Rob Rokicki's score for ''The Lightning Thief'':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRMhS3hFvjY

Updated On: 8/28/20 at 08:50 PM
VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jordan Catalano said: "“Lightning Thief” winning Best Score would definitely be on track with 2020, though. It would make absolute sense this year that some of the worst music ever created would end up on the same list as “Follies”, “Fiddler”, “Cabaret”, “South Pacific”, etc. etc."

Everybody say yeah!

Broadway61004
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Jordan Catalano said: "“Lightning Thief” winning Best Score would definitely be on track with 2020, though. It would make absolute sense this year that some of the worst music ever created would end up on the same list as “Follies”, “Fiddler”, “Cabaret”, “South Pacific”, etc. etc."

To be fair, though, that list also includes Cats.

blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Broadway61004 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "“Lightning Thief” winning Best Score would definitely be on track with 2020, though. It would make absolute sense this year that some of the worst music ever created would end up on the same list as “Follies”, “Fiddler”, “Cabaret”, “South Pacific”, etc. etc."

To be fair, though, that list also includes Cats.
"

Yes, Cats, that has one of the most memorable music and one of, if not the best, known ballads in the musical theater cannon.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE