Page: 1

Mulan

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#1
Posted: 8/22/20 at 9:48pm

So how many are gonna pay the $30 premium to see this on Disney+?

Frankly I'm not going to pay the vigorish on top of the regular subscription.I get if you have rug rats, then the costs per eyeball goes down, but for singles ( yea I get it's cheaper than a live tkt) its a kinda big hit ( esp as that's US $30 not sure what the damage Can will be).

I know Disney is ready to busk for change but this seems a bit OTT.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#2
Posted: 8/22/20 at 9:58pm
I think it’s $24.99. Universal did this with their new Trolls movie and charged $19.99 and made a killing on it, so I’m sure Disney will do quite well, not to mention it’s still going to movie theaters and those are reopening all around the country (Cuomo even hinted NUC movie theaters might open next!).
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#3
Posted: 8/22/20 at 9:59pm

Sweet baby boy. Like HAMILTON was, this’ll be streamable for free on at least 200 online sites a few hours after it goes up on Disney+. Hahaha.

nyc623
Swing
Swing
Mulan#4
Posted: 8/22/20 at 10:11pm

It's $29.99, and I'll be watching with family... still cheaper and safer than taking a family to the movie theater, even if some are reopened.

Edit: Disney is not opening the film in US markets, just on Disney+. The plan is to open in foreign theaters, where there are lower infection rates but not piecemeal across the US.

Updated On: 8/22/20 at 10:11 PM
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#5
Posted: 8/22/20 at 10:20pm
I read an article the other day saying how it will be opening in theaters as well and assumed it would be domestic.
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#6
Posted: 8/22/20 at 10:56pm
100% will purchase!

Maybe it’s not a thing, but I want to support an Asian driven movie and female lead property during these times. I wish it was a musical though!

The Christina song associated with the movie is just gorgeous!!
TheGingerBreadMan Profile PhotoTheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#7
Posted: 8/23/20 at 1:13am
I am interested in seeing the movie, but as expressed above, I don’t have a household of people to watch with and can’t justify spending 30 bucks on a movie for just me. I understand why Disney is going this route and I’m sure they’ll see success with it, it’s just a hefty price tag for me. I want to see it but not badly enough to shell out that cash, especially when I already pay for the streaming service every month. I’ll wait on this one.

orbops
Swing
Swing
Mulan#8
Posted: 9/5/20 at 1:07am

$29.99 for just my wife and I is too much, since we normally go to a matinee. Just found out that it's not a musical and that was very disappointing. We can wait a few months, and it will be on Redbox.

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#9
Posted: 9/5/20 at 1:25am
It is going to be ‘included’ in the standard offering in early December. I can certainly wait.
HeyMrMusic Profile PhotoHeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#10
Posted: 9/5/20 at 11:14am
I gladly paid because you rarely see this kind of representation in Hollywood (can you name more than a handful of Hollywood films with all-Asian casts?). I also enjoyed the film, so that’s a plus. The older supporting cast is made up of Chinese screen icons.

I will happily support films like Mulan, Crazy Rich Asians, The Farewell, etc. It feels like films with Asian casts always have something to prove, like we need to feel grateful for the chance at representation instead of having the right to be represented and included. I wonder when the recent string of successes, plus the huge Parasite Oscar triumph, will signal legitimacy for Asians in prominent stories.
jpbran Profile Photojpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#11
Posted: 9/5/20 at 1:22pm

It’s gonna be no extra charge on Disney+ startling 12/4. Don’t have to immediately jump to the “find an illegal rip for free now!” Their industry is nearly as decimated as Broadway is... this is a $200m film with almost no theatrical release. wink

JennH
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#12
Posted: 9/5/20 at 2:27pm

Y'all realize the more people actually fall for this and buy it, the more streaming services will start charging extra for certain content en masse, right?

blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#13
Posted: 9/5/20 at 2:40pm

JennH said: "Y'all realize the more people actually fall for this and buy it, themore streaming services will start charging extra for certain content en masse, right?"

It's fair game in Covid times. If you gather a few kids and parents to watch it together it's way cheaper than going to the theater.

All industries need to do what they can to survive, why not try new models if they mean profits?  I don't mind that the option is out there.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#14
Posted: 9/5/20 at 2:40pm

I'm not sure what people are "falling" for with this. Pay-per-view has been around as long as cable has been around. This isn't some new idea at all.

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
Islander_fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mulan#15
Posted: 9/6/20 at 1:32am

AEA AGMA SM said: "I'm not sure what people are "falling" for with this. Pay-per-view has been around as long as cable has been around. This isn't some new idea at all."

You’re right. If one considered Disney plus to be like cable, then having a pay per view feature in the mix wouldn’t be an issue. And, to be honest, I didn’t even thing of it that way until. I saw your post.

However, I think that people are annoyed because they’re forced to pay to see one particular title. And, it’s one where the asking price is absurdly high. Now, I get that Disney is financially hurting. And, I get that they are doing this the way that they are because Mulan was supposed to be their big money making summer blockbuster. I do wanna see it. But, by looking at this thread, I see that I am not the only one who things that thirty bucks would be too high for me to enjoy on my own. And, I am sure I am not the only one to think that the price is abused just in general. 

I think, from a business standpoint, they should have done this with Hamilton. They would have gotten money, not just from subscribers but additional income for everyone having to pay to access it above the normal fee. And, it would’ve worked too. 

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#16
Posted: 9/6/20 at 9:17am
Not quite true, Mulan was initially meant to be their early spring release in a much quieter time. Jungle Cruise was meant to be their big summer movie. Then Covid changed all that.

I do agree it think they got it round the wrong way, I think more people would have paid for Hamilton over Mulan. I really think they missed a trick there. $30 compared to broadway prices for the original cast is a bargain. $30 for a remake of a lesser known Disney title with no big stars not so much (although personally I love the original movie and the approach they took with the remake)
JennH
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#17
Posted: 9/6/20 at 10:15am

Disney is losing money during this time, yes, but they're hurting? Nah. Mom and pop businesses are hurting.  Individuals who lost their jobs and couldn't pay rent even in "better times" are hurting. And I see the point about pay per view, but this about how it pertains to streaming. Prime already charges extra for certain content and I never agreed with it, nor do I agree with Disney doing the same. I don't know, it all just rubs me the wrong way. 

Updated On: 9/6/20 at 10:15 AM
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mulan#18
Posted: 9/6/20 at 10:31am

I can wait until it is part of my normal subscription -lol

Islander_fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mulan#19
Posted: 9/6/20 at 11:06am

JennH said: "Disney is losing money during this time, yes, but they're hurting? Nah. Mom andpop businesses are hurting. Individuals who lost their jobs and couldn't pay rent even in "better times" are hurting. And I see the point about pay per view, but this about how it pertains to streaming. Prime already charges extra for certain contentand I never agreed with it, nordo I agree with Disney doing the same. I don't know, it all just rubs me the wrong way."

Amazon is a totally different set up. There’s amazon video and amazon prime. With amazon prime, you pay an annual fee of a little over 100 bucks, or per month which is 12 bucks and change. Prime gives you access to many different amazon services, not just prime video. Prime gives you other benefits such as free on day shipping, sometimes lower prices on items for prime members, a kindle library or even discounts at Whole Foods.

Now, for those who don’t want all that or find that it’s too expensive. Amazon has Amazon video, it allows you to buy or rent movies. Now, I can see where you’re coming from and the confusion, but they are two different things. However, even if you have prime you can still rent or buy digital movies from amazon as well. 

As for Hamilton, there were tons of people who signed up for Disney + just for Hamilton, watched it a few times then cancelled their subscription. And, like I said, if they did the special pricing to access Hamilton I feel that they would have made more than they would with Mulan. Specially since they put a couple of movies that were scheduled to come out in the summer but got put on Disney Plus instead. I saw Onward just before they shut down movie theatres in New York. A couple of days later when they did it was on Disney plus. They should have done the same thing with Mulan because I am not sure of the buzz if any surrounding this film.