Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Taylor Swift musical?

Globefan
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/17/20 at 2:48pm

Do you think Taylor Swift's music will ever make it to Broadway, either as a jukebox musical of her existing songs or new songs written specifically for the show? Would you rather it be a fictional story like Mamma Mia! or biographical? She has a certain theatrical flair. 

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/9/12

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/18/20 at 5:17pm

I'd love a Taylor Swift musical. I don't think that her life story is particularly interesting enough to be a musical but I think that her music would fit a musical wonderfully.

Additionally, I'd love to see her write an original score for a musical. She is such a brilliant lyricist that I think she would do great with a full score. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/9/15

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/18/20 at 5:24pm
She already kind of told a story with Folklore. I think she would do a great job writing a musical. I wonder if her name being attached would be more of a burden, like Sting with The Last Ship or a benefit, like Sara Bareilles with waitress.
Jordan Levinson Profile Photo
Jordan Levinson
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/28/19

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/18/20 at 6:48pm

Littleshopofcarrie said: "I'd love a Taylor Swift musical. I don't think that her life story is particularly interesting enough to be a musical but I think that her music would fit a musical wonderfully.

Additionally, I'd love to see her write an original score for a musical. She is such a brilliant lyricist that I think she would do great with a full score.
"

THIS. Attach her to appealing source material, and she COULD make miracles happen. However, there is no guarantee that a mainstream songwriter like her can swimmingly make the jump from pop music to Broadway theatre. We've seen both successes and flops in this case, as Jorge just pointed out.

(heads down to the orchestra pit during the Exit Music)
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/4/10

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/18/20 at 6:49pm
Please no.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/06

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/18/20 at 7:30pm
I’d much rather see her write an original musical.

I know there is a different team working on it, but I think she’d be perfect to score THE PRINCESS BRIDE.
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
chrishuyen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 11/12/14

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:17pm
I'd be a lot more interested in seeing her write an original musical than a jukebox or biopic (yes she's done some interesting things but I don't know if I want a musical about her life). What I'm most intrigued about is that a lot of her songs are self contained stories(even in folklore where the songs interconnect) so it would be interesting to see what she could do if she wrote all the songs to a larger story and if she could get that musical cohesion across the entire show and not just song to song.
PutonyourWarPaint Profile Photo
PutonyourWarPaint
Understudy
Understudy | Joined: 8/14/19

Taylor Swift musical?

Posted: 8/25/20 at 4:29pm

SWIFTICAL: The Musical

My favorite song: Let Me Sh*t  Alone in a Box

Updated On: 8/25/20 at 04:29 PM