Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

ALW Participating In COVID-19 Vaccine Trial

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 9/11/16

https://twitter.com/OfficialALW/status/1293605594096709634

Anyone hear about Oxford's Vaccine Trial? Looks like it has gone through Phase 1 and 2 of Clinical Trials. It's clear from his tweet he's doing this to speed the UK's Theatre Re-opening strategy.

Hopefully it works...

fosterfan2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor | Joined: 8/7/11
I hope it works,too,but I wouldn't want to be the first person to try it. I'm glad ALW is willing,though. If there ever is one that works,I would hope to get it eventually. I have a boss who believes all the anti-vaxx propaganda,especially the Covid vaccine. I hate it when she gets on her soapbox.
HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/26/12

More evidence he's off his rocker. Dude's in a high risk category and he is a guinea pig? Please. Andy, news alert, you don't need the money. 

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 9/11/16

The drug's in Phase III, so it's not likely his health is at stake by being in the trial. They've already proven the vaccine isn't harmful to humans, they're testing the effectiveness (i.e. whether or not it can make the body produce the proper antibodies). I'm no doctor, but I think the trial needs older test subjects to see if a weaker immune system can create antibodies.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend

Understood and I have been following this trial for months, but there is a risk when you are in a high risk cohort. Precisely because you have immune system challenges. And this is a stunt on his part, for an agenda, and it is not an isolated one. I stand by my characterization. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/16/13
Phase 3 trials still tests for less-common side effects that become more visible with a large test group. I would use blanket Statements like “not harmful,” as those details can still be uncovered. I’m optimistic, but language is important.
sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/16/03

Alex Kulak2 said: "The drug's in Phase III, so it's not likely his health is at stake by being in the trial. They've already proven the vaccine isn't harmful to humans, they're testing the effectiveness (i.e. whether or not it can make the body produce the proper antibodies). I'm no doctor, but I think the trial needs older test subjects to see if a weaker immune system can create antibodies."

Been telling people about this  for months. I disagree that he is doing it as a "stunt" there are too many out there all ready grumbling that even AFTER testing and assurance of safety/efficacy they "don't want to be guinea pigs ( WHICH THEY AIN'T)". I think he just wants to get the "good stuff" first. Kinda wonder HOW he got chosen.

.I WISH I could participate in this trial- Canada instead decided to go with Pfizer and Moderna  ( in spite of Modernas track record). The trial subjects are including teenagers of age to give consent up to  75 and is even including a subset of "compromised" subjects.  ( underlying health conditions)

I trust the Jenner Institute.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 7/12/13
He’s a Lord. He works/worked closely with politicians for 20 years when he sat in the House. He’s been pushing for theatres to open and I’m sure he didn’t want to be called a hypocrite for pushing for this and not risking anything personally.
sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend

Mmm.

The Jenner Institute did have a couple of links for donations AND if you wanted to participate in a clinical trial.

Still status and money doesn't usually get you on a clinical trial list- doesn't eliminate you, but not a determining factor. WELL. at lest not from a scientific POV.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/21/05

sabrelady said: "Mmm.

The Jenner Institute did have a couple of links for donations AND if you wanted to participate in a clinical trial.

Still status and money doesn't usually get you on a clinical trial list- doesn't eliminate you, but not a determining factor. WELL. at lest not from a scientific POV.
"

There's usually criteria participants must meet. Since this is about a vaccine as opposed to treatment, the criteria is likely limited in scope. While his motives may not be altruistic, at least he's putting his money where his mouth is.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend

what money?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/05
I’d prefer he put his actual money toward supporting theater workers who have been out of work worldwide. But sure, dude, get the shot, be part of the data.
"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/13/20 at 02:43 PM
JennH
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/14/13

Kad said: "I’d prefer he put his actual money toward supporting theater workers who have been out of work worldwide. But sure, dude, get the shot, be part of the data."

I won't argue with that, but I can't fault him for doing SOMETHING to end this nightmare. 

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/1/08
He is doing something practical to help, they needed volunteers and he stepped up, good on him. The world needs a vaccine. I see nothing wrong with that.

And what good would his money do, it would be throwing good money after bad. He cant pay wages for the entire theatre community for the next 6 to 12 months and offering a token wouldnt have much impact and whoever is left out would complain. Theatres are not opening anytime soon, he has proven that they cant work with social distancing in place, at his own cost. He is also the only producer or theatre owner who has actively done anything to check the viability of opening.

But sure, let's all attack him for trying to do something to help the bigger cause. If this had been more worshipped theatre names (e.g. LMM) people would be falling over themselves to praise them
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/05

...he's an immensely wealthy and influential cultural figure who finagled his way to become a member of a clinical trial, not some young solider marching off to the beaches of Normandy, for god's sake.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/13/20 at 03:23 PM
PeterC6482
Swing
Swing | Joined: 12/10/19

As far as I know, anyone can volunteer to be in a clinical trial. Due to his age, he is a good candidate.

brian1973
Leading Actor
Leading Actor | Joined: 2/1/14

He’s never done anything to help much less successful people in the industry , like new writers etc, so why should he start now?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend

SUPPORT OXFORD’S COVID-19 VACCINE RESEARCH Funding for Oxford’s COVID-19 vaccine research requires unprecedented speed, scope and ambition. Support from Government, corporations, trusts and foundations will be crucial to the development of a vaccine to combat the new virus. Alongside those traditional sources of funding, philanthropic donations of any size will have real and rapid impact, allowing us to accelerate this time-critical research, and ensure that Oxford’s vaccine solution will be as effective and swift as possible. If you are interested in supporting this effort, please make a gift here.

https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/participate-trial

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-03-09-support-oxford-s-response-to-the-covid-19-outbreak

Updated On: 8/13/20 at 05:16 PM
SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 7/1/18

For goodness sake, the man is participating in a trial, one of thousands[people] around the world, to help save humanity from this ever increasing disaster.

He has been very vocal the entire time and now physically stepping forward.

Who cares the reason, he is just one more subject awaiting results while most criticise.

It seems it's more of a 'I hate his music so easy target'. As one member said--If it were LMM, and we all know that the sun shines out of his axxe[my words], then the gushing would start.

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 3/21/05

HogansHero said: "what money?"

It's a figure of speech. A common one, at that.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend

SweetLips22 said: "It seems it's more of a 'I hate his music so easy target'. As one member said--If it were LMM, and we all know that the sun shines out of his axxe[my words], then the gushing would start."

I couldn't care less about his music; it's about his politics. And the difference with LMM is that he would not have done what ALW has been doing for months now: everything in his power to put butts in seats, safety be damned. Sound familiar? Must be the water they drink at Trump Tower...

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 5/29/13

Posted: 8/13/20 at 10:04pm

brian1973 said: "He’s never done anything to help much less successful people in the industry , like new writers etc, so why should he start now?

"

He's given away over $70M, including grants to early-career and underrepresented theater professionals. I'm not saying he's a saint but that's a lot more than "nothing."

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 7/1/18

Posted: 8/13/20 at 11:06pm

You and I drink from different taps HH. Mine is tinted with optimism and nil scepticism [in this instance] and yours is----add your own flavour.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

Posted: 8/13/20 at 11:11pm

Something fizzy perhaps?

If it were LMM, and we all know that the sun shines out of his axxe[my words], then the gushing would start.

Never. Never ever. Never, never, ever, ever. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 8/2/15

Posted: 8/13/20 at 11:24pm

It's not the greatest gesture in the history of humankind, but it is a nice example of leading by example and doing something practical to try to help. Good for him.