TONYA WAS ROBBED#3
Posted: 8/5/20 at 4:40pm
sure.
broadwayboy223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#4
Posted: 8/5/20 at 7:21pm
Tonya Pinkins was most definitely robbed. I’d love to see her replace Sharon and finally get the Tony!
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#5
Posted: 8/5/20 at 7:29pm
Sharon is remarkable though and deserves to be seen on broadway.
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#6
Posted: 8/6/20 at 3:45pm
It's not only that she was robbed. It's that the award went to the most inept of the nominees.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#7
Posted: 8/6/20 at 4:26pm

Inept: Having or showing no skill.

Yeah, Idina Menzel is SUPER inept. 

LOLOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

She/Her
gleek4114 Profile Photogleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#8
Posted: 8/6/20 at 5:13pm
I’m a HUGE fan of Wicked, but Idina doesn’t hold a candle to what Tonya accomplished. It’s crazy to me she wasn’t the front runner that season.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#9
Posted: 8/6/20 at 5:17pm

I was surprised that Idina won in that category as well but in no way, shape or form is she "inept". People who are inept don't get past regional dinner theater, sorry. 

She/Her
Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#10
Posted: 8/6/20 at 5:19pm
Hard agree and it makes me wonder how much it would’ve affected Tonyas career had she won. Shame.
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#11
Posted: 8/6/20 at 5:22pm

Sutton Ross said: "I was surprised that Idina won in that category as well but in no way, shape or form is she "inept". People who are inept don't get past regional dinner theater, sorry."

The comment calling Idina inept was in comparison to the other nominees. Not all other actors. So, yes, she was the most inept of the nominees.

Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#12
Posted: 8/6/20 at 5:36pm

Nah. 

She/Her
wiggum2 Profile Photowiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
TONYA WAS ROBBED#13
Posted: 8/6/20 at 5:37pm

Caroline or Change was one of the only shows I have ever thought about leaving at intermission... I only remember Anika Noni Rose and came to appreciate the song lot's wife well after I saw the show. I don't think Tonya was robbed of anything. 

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#14
Posted: 8/6/20 at 6:01pm
Cool story!!!
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#15
Posted: 8/6/20 at 6:10pm

wiggum2 said: "Caroline or Change was one of the only shows I have ever thought about leaving at intermission... I only remember Anika Noni Rose and came to appreciate the song lot's wife well after I saw the show. I don't think Tonya was robbed of anything."

Your profile picture is Ralph Wiggum, so your opinion is moot.

wiggum2 Profile Photowiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
TONYA WAS ROBBED#16
Posted: 8/6/20 at 7:59pm

Call_me_jorge said: "wiggum2 said: "Caroline or Change was one of the only shows I have ever thought about leaving at intermission... I only remember Anika Noni Rose and came to appreciate the song lot's wife well after I saw the show. I don't think Tonya was robbed of anything."

Your profile picture is Ralph Wiggum, so your opinion is moot.
"TONYA WAS ROBBED

blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#17
Posted: 8/6/20 at 8:54pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Sutton Ross said: "I was surprised that Idina won in that category as well but in no way, shape or form is she "inept". People who are inept don't get past regional dinner theater, sorry."

The comment calling Idina inept was in comparison tothe other nominees. Not all other actors. So, yes, she was the most inept of the nominees.
"

And inept is a soft term to use. Lady showed her lack of stage experience while her co-star held the show together. If they wanted to throw Wicked a bone for giving Avenue Q everything else, they could have found a different category.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#18
Posted: 8/6/20 at 8:58pm
I agree Tonya was robbed. But Wicked kind of shot Idina into stardom, so I think the Tonys got caught up in that.
ScottK
Understudy
Understudy
TONYA WAS ROBBED#19
Posted: 8/6/20 at 11:08pm

WICKED was robbed.

And, looking at many of the past 10-15 years of best actress wins--very few were catapulted to stardom, or even a "better" career.

Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#20
Posted: 8/6/20 at 11:49pm

And inept is a soft term to use. Lady showed her lack of stage experience while her co-star held the show together. If they wanted to throw Wicked a bone for giving Avenue Q everything else, they could have found a different category."

Her name is Idina, not lady and she did not have a lack of stage experience, how ridiculous. It was 16 years ago, get over it. 

She/Her
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#21
Posted: 8/7/20 at 12:11am

Sutton Ross said: "And inept is a soft term to use. Lady showed her lack of stage experience while her co-star held the show together. If they wanted to throw Wicked a bone for giving Avenue Q everything else, they could have found a different category."

Her name is Idina, not lady and she did not have a lack of stage experience, how ridiculous. It was 16 years ago, get over it.
"

Agreed that Pinkins was robbed and it was ridiculous, my dear Karen.

Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#22
Posted: 8/7/20 at 12:36am

Adorable. 

She/Her
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#23
Posted: 8/7/20 at 7:49am
For those who were ‘in the room that happened’ who was the actual favourite to win? Did Tonya ever really stand a chance? Was this an upset like Raul in Company?
"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
Broadway61004
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
TONYA WAS ROBBED#24
Posted: 8/7/20 at 9:05am

qolbinau said: "For those who were ‘in the room that happened’ who was the actual favourite to win? Did Tonya ever really stand a chance? Was this an upset like Raul in Company?"

David Hyde Pierce winning over Raul was definitely much more surprising than this was.  I think most people going into the ceremony would have said it was between Tonya and Donna Murphy, although with both having won Tonys before (not to mention Murphy missing a lot of performances), Idina was definitely a popular choice to pull the upset.  But I wouldn't say it was a huge upset, more of a mild one.

Sutton Ross said: "I was surprised that Idina won in that category as well but in no way, shape or form is she "inept". People who are inept don't get past regional dinner theater, sorry."

And Sutton Ross, while I don't disagree that Idina is not inept, let's not forget that Donald Trump has a Broadway credit.  So that's an awfully broad statement that no one who is inept can get past regional dinner theatre.

LarryD2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TONYA WAS ROBBED#25
Posted: 8/7/20 at 10:39am

Donna Murphy was thought to be the favorite going into the Tonys. She won the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards -- however, those awards are given by critics' organizations, whose members by and large saw Murphy at press performances early in the run, when she was in spectacular form. Because Murphy missed so many performances throughout her run, some Tony voters didn't even get to see her, and others were not sympathetic to her frequent absences. (The real reason for her absenteeism was not public knowledge at the time.) There was also popular opinion that Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel would "cancel each other out," or that if one was going to win, it would be Chenoweth. I do think Idina's win was an upset in many ways. Of the five nominees, I would have voted for Pinkins in a heartbeat -- hers remains one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen, in nearly 40 years of attending Broadway theater.