Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Recent CYRANO musical to be adapted for the screen

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MGM-Acquires-CYRANO-Starring-Peter-Dinklage-Haley-Bennett-Brian-Tyree-Henry-Ben-Mendelsohn-20200804

What a bizarre bit of news. This show got pretty mixed reviews Off-Broadway. Personally I enjoyed it, but I also had some major issues with it. I think it has the potential to make a good film, I guess?

Joe Wright seems like an intuitive choice to direct Cyrano de Bergerac, but not necessarily this version of it. 

I'm disappointed that Jasmine Cephas-Jones won't reprise her role. But I love Brian Tyree Henry - I can't seem to figure out which role he's playing though. Is it Christian? I'm assuming Ben Mendelson will play De Guiche, which makes sense. 

I think the weirdest thing about this announcement is that this musical didn't take off at all. It sold well at first, but tickets were much easier to come by when it extended. The reception from the public was pretty mixed/tepid. 

Also, is this the first stage musical to receive a film adaptation without even receiving an original cast recording? 

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This was a musical? I assumed it was a play.
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

CATSNYrevival said: "This was a musical? I assumed it was a play."

Yes, it was a brand new musical adaptation - not affiliated with any of the other previous musical adaptations of Cyrano de Bergerac. 

The score was written by the guys from the band The National. The music was actually quite beautiful, IMO. The lyrics...not so much. 

phan24 Profile Photophan24 Profile Photo
phan24
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If something is bad I usually just ignore it, but this stage production was worse than bad, one of the worst pieces of theater I’ve seen, I hope the text and score are overhauled.
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

MGM –– a company that many thought would have gone under by now –– seems to be really trying to capitalize on musicals. In 2020 alone, it has announced this, Fiddler on the Roof, and a modernized Porgy and Bess. We'll see if any of them actually get made, but it's an interesting angle.

little_sally Profile Photolittle_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I can't even imagine having to listen to Dinklage sing again. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Kad Profile PhotoKad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought this adaptation was a bore that totally sapped Cyrano, the play and the character, of everything that made them compelling and beloved. Though, I will grant that a lot of my issues came from the production itself, which I found to be very cold with some inexplicable design choices and concepts.

But one of its most baffling adaptation choices was how it totally obfuscated Cyrano's physical difference from everybody else. A few references to a large nose remained, but played so ironically they basically had air quotes around them. Cyrano's famous introductory monologue in which he makes joke after joke about his nose was totally cut rather than adapted to suit Dinklage's stature. Cyrano's feelings of unworthiness seemed to come from nowhere rather than a world that told him he was physically unworthy. It really uprooted a central conceit of the character.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/5/20 at 11:43 AM
ClydeBarrow Profile PhotoClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

No one should be made to suffer through this, especially Dinklage's singing. To call it singing is being very generous.

"I'm disappointed that Jasmine Cephas-Jones won't reprise her role." Don't be because I was really excited to see her in this and she was not good. Whether that was her performance or the horrendous music I can't say.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This was not a good show, and none of the cast stood out for me. I don't get it, but perhaps it will improve 100% before they do this. 

She/Her
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ClydeBarrow said: "Don't be"

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw the show for myself, and I thought she was good, so I'll go ahead and be disappointed. But you're fully entitled to your own opinion! 

@Kad, completely agree regarding regarding the weird elephant in the room that they created by ignoring his stature, and throwing in a single line about the size of his nose. Totally weird. That didn't ruin the show for me though. I actually thought the show really captured the sense of tenderness and heartbreak at the core of the story, even if they messed up mostly everything else about it. 

Updated On: 8/5/20 at 01:03 PM
Kad Profile PhotoKad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I didn't think any of the performances were the problem. Dinklage didn't sing particularly much and what he had was totally fine and clearly tailored to his ability.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought this was a good but not great show. I liked the songs well enough but clearly they were not taking a musical theatre approach. I was not bothered by Dinklage's singing. No he is not a singer but we have enough great singers who can't act that kvetching about an actor as good as Dinklage who can't really sing seems a bit much. And we shall see what becomes of the film.

rg7759
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I liked it. The parts that worked were the Cinematic elements. Effects. But poor grace McLean.I think it's wise to not make a non musical film of this basic story. I think they're choosing the reasoning that if it didn't work on stage it must work on film. Surprising definitely, does this mean the James mcavoy version was even worse?
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Kelvin-Harrison-Jr-Joins-Peter-Dinklage-Led-CYRANO-Musical-Film-Adaptation-20200921

Kelvin Harrison Jr. announced to play Christian. Not sure who Brian Tyree Henry is supposed to be playing then.

Kind of odd (maybe a bit racist?) that BroadwayWorld published this press release and chose to show a photo of Dinklage rather than Harrison Jr, even though the whole point of the article was to announce Harrison's casting. Whatever gets them the most ad revenue I guess...

In other news, I still think it's so bizarre that this project is happening. What a weird turn of events. 

Updated On: 9/21/20 at 06:49 PM