Page: 1

Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?

NewYorkTheater Profile PhotoNewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#1
Posted: 8/2/20 at 11:35am

Which of these nine plays has taken best advantage of the Zoom platform?

Which play has used Zoom best?

Take the poll or answer here.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photoitsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#2
Posted: 8/2/20 at 4:09pm

None of them, imho. If someone wants to do a play over Zoom now, good for them (although I think Zoom is one of the worst platforms for these things) but I'd rather read a play than watch it over video conference.

George in DC Profile PhotoGeorge in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
Understudy
Understudy
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#3
Posted: 8/2/20 at 4:20pm

I think "Buyer and Cellar" was perfect

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#4
Posted: 8/2/20 at 4:51pm

Urie’s BUYER & CELLAR was presented in a semi-staged presentation with camerawork whereas everyone else just did readings.  His stands alone.  

Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?

NewYorkTheater Profile PhotoNewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#5
Posted: 8/2/20 at 6:14pm

Brody

I certainly liked "Buyer & Cellar"  but other productions on the list were also "semi-staged," as you put it -- that was true of "Mad Forest." And, like Michael Urie in "Buyer & Cellar,"  the cast of "Heroes of the Fourth Turning" had performed the play onstage previously, and that did not feel like a reading. Indeed, none of the ones on the list felt like readings (even if they were), which is why they're on the list.

chrishuyen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#6
Posted: 8/3/20 at 1:17am

I've heard everyone raving about Buyer and Cellar and I'm sad to have missed it.  I was pretty impressed with Heroes of the Fourth Turning in how much they were able to create an environment (even just have a matching black background was pretty cool, since each person's background blended into another's (low bar, I know).  I liked it a lot more than when I had seen it on stage, and I'm almost convinced they made changes to the script, but I think this form of delivery helps you really focus on the writing itself and who the characters are.

mamaleh
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#7
Posted: 8/3/20 at 1:41am

I think five plays, four of which were featured in Stars/Plays in the House, stand out for excellence in a Zoom "production.": LIPS TOGETHER TEETH APART, THE TALE OF THE ALLERGIST'S WIFE, THE CONFESSION OF LILY DARE,  THE DIVINE SISTER and THE WEIR.  

ahhrealmonsters
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#8
Posted: 8/3/20 at 7:20am

I propose Significant Other. I thought it was extremely well executed and proves that the play would work terrifically as a movie. I see it as an indie or Netflix/Hulu original type.

ggersten Profile Photoggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#9
Posted: 8/3/20 at 7:41pm
The Weir.
I think Lungs from Old Vic was really good but sure it Zoom.

Do we count Ladies Who Lunch from the Sondheim birthday fest?
Pashacar
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#10
Posted: 8/4/20 at 3:10pm
ahhrealmonsters said: "I propose Significant Other. I thought it was extremely well executed and proves that the play would work terrifically as a movie. I see it as an indie or Netflix/Hulu original type."

Agree 100%. Would be an excellent movie; hope it gets picked up by someone.

jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#11
Posted: 8/4/20 at 3:15pm
The Last 5 Years worked pretty well; although, I'm not positive that that was actually Zoom.

Blithe Spirit was exceptionally lousy and under rehearsed. It was as if many of them had never read the script prior to the reading. If I had paid for it, I'd have been asking for a refund.
Jmuep2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#12
Posted: 8/7/20 at 1:42am

Pashacar said: "ahhrealmonsters said: "I propose Significant Other. I thought it was extremely well executed and proves that the play would work terrifically as a movie. I see it as an indie or Netflix/Hulu original type."

Agree 100%. Would be an excellent movie; hope it gets picked up by someone.
"

It is in development. 

Owen22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#13
Posted: 9/14/20 at 2:50pm
The three Apple Family Zoom plays. Hands down.
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#14
Posted: 9/14/20 at 3:42pm

I'll admit that I've only seen bits and pieces of Zoom plays, and not even very many of them. So my opinion on this subject really isn't worth anything.

However, based on what I've seen/heard about the various projects happening digitally, I have a hard time imagining any of them doing a better job than the Apple Family plays. To my knowledge, this was the only project that took place diegetically (as in, the actual characters were supposed to be talking on Zoom within the world of the play). And that's the only approach to the "Zoom play" that was of any interest to me. I'm not saying other people didn't do a good job overcoming the hurdles, especially since I haven't seen most of them. But for me, the ultimate achievement in any form is to embrace the obstacles in such a way that they're no longer obstacles. And incorporating Zoom into the work itself is one of - if not THE - only way to do that properly in this case.

the.hard.part Profile Photothe.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Poll: Which play has used Zoom best?#15
Posted: 9/14/20 at 4:25pm
The Weir and Significant Other were my top 2.

I personally think a company should take on an adaptation of Bare, teens being immersed in their technology would likely translate pretty well.