Page: 1

Chita in The Rose Tattoo

imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#1
Posted: 7/31/20 at 9:21pm

I read in several bios and on her website that Chita has been in Tennessee Williams' The Rose Tattoo with James Luisi, but I can't find any piece of information on when and where. Does anyone have any idea?

Updated On: 7/31/20 at 09:21 PM
TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#2
Posted: 7/31/20 at 10:06pm
All I can find is that it was a tour.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#3
Posted: 8/1/20 at 1:13pm
On the surface this seems like ideal casting but I saw Chita in THE RINK and she wasn't at all convincing as an Italian woman. She gave a brilliant musical comedy performance but her gait, gestures and speech pattern were far from Italian.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#4
Posted: 8/1/20 at 1:29pm

She played Serafina in a repertory production of THE ROSE TATTOO in 1972.  It’s incorrectly listed as a tour on her bio.

Chita in The Rose Tattoo

imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#5
Posted: 8/1/20 at 2:00pm
Thank you!
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#6
Posted: 8/1/20 at 3:05pm

Dollypop said: "On the surface this seems like ideal casting but I saw Chita in THE RINK and she wasn't at all convincing as an Italian woman. She gave a brilliant musical comedy performance but her gait, gestures and speech pattern were far from Italian."

Chita is literally Italian.

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#7
Posted: 8/1/20 at 3:19pm

hork Profile Photohork Profile Photo
hork
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#8
Posted: 8/1/20 at 5:01pm

TotallyEffed said: "Dollypop said: "On the surface this seems like ideal casting but I saw Chita in THE RINK and she wasn't at all convincing as an Italian woman. She gave a brilliant musical comedy performance but her gait, gestures and speech pattern were far from Italian."

Chita is literally Italian.
"

Her mother was partly of Italian descent. That has nothing to do with being able to believably play someone from Italy.

Updated On: 8/1/20 at 05:01 PM
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#9
Posted: 8/1/20 at 5:24pm
The role Chita originated in The Rink is an Italian-American woman from Coney Island, very New York. Chita herself is (partially) Italian-American and she won a Tony for playing the role.
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#10
Posted: 8/1/20 at 5:54pm
What was the name of the rep company where she did Rose Tattoo?
hork
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#11
Posted: 8/1/20 at 9:58pm

TotallyEffed said: "The role Chita originated in The Rink is an Italian-American woman from Coney Island, very New York. Chita herself is (partially) Italian-American and she won a Tony for playing the role."

Two different roles. “Very New York” does not at all describe the character in The Rose Tattoo. 

TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#12
Posted: 8/1/20 at 10:49pm

hork said: "TotallyEffed said: "The role Chita originated in The Rink is an Italian-American woman from Coney Island, very New York. Chita herself is (partially) Italian-American and she won a Tony for playing the role."

Two different roles. “Very New York” does not at all describe the character in The Rose Tattoo.
"

Where did I say it did? The Rink was brought up for  some strange reason, it has nothing to do with The Rose Tattoo. I wasn’t comparing the two roles, Dolly was.

hork
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chita in The Rose Tattoo#13
Posted: 8/1/20 at 11:38pm

TotallyEffed said: "hork said: "TotallyEffed said: "The role Chita originated in The Rink is an Italian-American woman from Coney Island, very New York. Chita herself is (partially) Italian-American and she won a Tony for playing the role."

"

Where did I say it did? The Rink was brought up for some strange reason, it has nothing to do with The RoseTattoo. I wasn’t comparing the two roles, Dolly was.
"

Ahh, okay, sorry. Somehow I got it into my head that Dolly was talking about The Rose Tattoo.

Updated On: 8/2/20 at 11:38 PM