Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato

bwayboy22 Profile Photobwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Just announced for Fall 2022.

The opera was composed by Kevin Puts and will have its Metropolitan Opera debut in the fall of 2022. Fleming will take on the role of Clarissa Vaughan, played on screen by Meryl Streep, with O'Hara as Laura Brown (originated by Julianne Moore) and DiDonato as Virginia Woolf (for which Nicole Kidman won an Oscar).

https://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/fleming-ohara-didonato-the-hours-opera_91258.html
bwayboy22 Profile Photobwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Originally announced in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/style/maureen-dowd-renee-fleming.html
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Interesting that this will be the second Oscar nominated role of Julianne Moore’s that O’Hara will be be playing in a musical version.
StylishCynic
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I've long said that The Hours would make a lovely musical with a final output resembling a chamber musical a la The Light in the Piazza. (I'd also love if Adam Guettel wrote it, haha)

I know that many feel that the source material punishes women for the sake of characterization, and I recognize this criticism as valid (as one reviewer has said "does the movie really need to start and finish with Woolf's suicide?"“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato.

I have high hopes for the opera.

imeldasturn Profile Photoimeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

After having watched the sublime Woolf Works at the Royal Opera House and La Scala, I think The Hours would also make a terrific ballet. But yeah, a musical would be divine as well.

VintageSnarker
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I wish Fleming wasn't involved. Didn't she say that she retired from opera?

latitudex1 Profile Photolatitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

VintageSnarker said: "I wish Fleming wasn't involved. Didn't she say that she retired from opera?"

No.

https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2017/04/06/522876028/hold-up-ren-e-fleming-is-not-retiring-from-opera

She was just tired of doing her stalwart roles.

IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I screamed when I read this. These three women will be terrific. Something to look forward to!
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
MadonnaMusical Profile PhotoMadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Can’t wait to see this... but I’m upset that Philip Glass’ legendary score is being ignored. He’s the most famous living opera composer and I think it’s rude not to ask him to write the music... with a libretto by an actual Musical Theatre writer of course.
OhBoy17
Swing
Swing

Jordan Catalano said: "Interesting that this will be the second Oscar nominated role of Julianne Moore’s that O’Hara will be be playing in a musical version."

And, coincidentally, Julianne Moore was Oscar-nominated for both of those roles in the same year! Two of my favorite movies EVER.

Highland Guy Profile PhotoHighland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Fleming, O'Hara and DiDonato.  Are you kidding me?  Something wonderful to add to my Bucket List.

PRESIDENT JOSEPH ROBINETTE BIDEN JR