Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Public Sale tickets

billkooschoir
Swing
Swing
Public Sale tickets#1
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:05am

I'm wondering, as a HS choir teacher, if the Broadway Theaters were to open in 2021 sometime after January 3rd, would there actually be tickets available to purchase for the general public? I'm assuming there are a fair amount of season ticket holders at every venue and the theaters are not likely(guessing here) to open up at full capacity, so with some sort of social distancing in place, will the season ticket holders be the only ones that will be able to go to the shows? I still have, at the moment, a trip planned for my choir to NYC in late March, early April and our itinerary has three Broadway shows on it. I'm assuming that I should change my trip destination, or are there other options if my assumptions are correct? Thank you so much!

jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#2
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:26am

For The Music Man ( scheduled for previews on April 9), tickets are already being sold. There seems to be no social distancing rules  as seats next to each other are being sold together. 

Updated On: 7/30/20 at 10:26 AM
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#3
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:30am
Broadway will not open, using social distancing. That’s not possible for them financially. So when you look at tickets for any show next year you’ll see seats being sold as they always have been.
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#4
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:35am

jo said: "For The Music Man ( scheduled for previews on April 9), tickets are already being sold. There seems to be no social distancing rules as seats next to each other are being sold together.

I just checked Telecharge --

They are now selling tickets to the general public for To Kill A Mockingbird & West Side Story starting performances on January 5, 2021.  Seating charts are up on their specific show pages.

billkooschoir
Swing
Swing
Public Sale tickets#5
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:49am

Do you think they WILL reopen on January 5th or are they being optimistic?

HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#6
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:51am

First of all, most Broadway theatres are not subscription houses, but are commercial venues.

Second, as noted, there cannot and will not be social distancing.

Third, any tickets that are on sale for any date are aspirational at best and delusional at worst. 

My belief is that we will not see a Broadway musical (I think we may see a few plays) before Fall '21. I have been saying this since April and I still think it is going to be the case. I don't know how we can plan for shows when a majority of the country is required to quarantine if they come to New York, and virtually no other country that feeds Broadway ticket sales is open to travel to or from the United States. 

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#7
Posted: 7/30/20 at 11:27am
Obviously there’s no way to know for sure but with a vaccine more and more likely being distributed (to select groups first) as early as this Fall, I think the Spring timeline here is looking very hopeful. I’m even more positive than ever now that I’ll be seeing West End shows months before Broadway shows, but I still think the March/April goal is attainable.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#8
Posted: 7/30/20 at 11:34am

..."season ticket holders"???

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#9
Posted: 7/30/20 at 12:42pm

My apologies for Lizzie's remark, you did not put a source so she was not feeling your question. Public Sale tickets

If you mean season ticket holder's for regional theaters, there is a pretty good possibility that things will start up again in January, with a social distancing. It's much easier to do that, and several theaters are already presenting plays with 30% capacity or doing musicals under tents in their parking lots. 

Obviously, that is not possible with Broadway theaters. You can buy tickets for January, and perhaps a few shows will be open but it's not very likely. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Also, reopening a show in January is risky because it's usually a very low grossing month. 

She/Her
billkooschoir
Swing
Swing
Public Sale tickets#10
Posted: 7/30/20 at 2:04pm

I've only been to Broadway once in my life.  All of my show experience is regional shows, which amount to 20-25. They all have "season ticket holders" so I made the assumption.

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#11
Posted: 7/30/20 at 3:15pm

If you're taking a large group of kids to the city I would wait until an effective vaccine becomes available. Not only will your group be in a crowded theater but the bus or plane or train will also be crowded. Could you re-schedule your trip for later in the Spring?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 7/30/20 at 03:15 PM
billkooschoir
Swing
Swing
Public Sale tickets#12
Posted: 7/30/20 at 3:35pm

The trip is scheduled for the last week of March. There will be 35 kids.

Kimbo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Public Sale tickets#13
Posted: 7/30/20 at 4:00pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Obviously there’s no way to know for sure but with a vaccine more and more likely being distributed (to select groups first) as early as this Fall, I think the Spring timeline here is looking very hopeful. I’m even more positive than ever now that I’ll be seeing West End shows months before Broadway shows, but I still think the March/April goal is attainable."

I respect so many people who post here - truly - but along with many others I've really come to believe that a spring reopening for Broadway is magical thinking.   Which studies or articles are you referring to when you say a vaccine looks more and more likely to be available as early as fall?  The most optimistic projections I've seen by Dr. Fauci and others seem to hope for an effective vaccine to HOPEFULLY be approved by November or December, but even in that best-case-scenario event there's almost no way it will be made available to enough of the population by a month or two later to allow Broadway producers to feel confident enough to begin rehearsals right after the New Year for a March or April opening.

An article yesterday with health experts at Johns Hopkins, which specifically addressed realistic timelines (that's in the title of the piece), quotes them as saying "A reasonable timeline for wide distribution of vaccines is likely the end of 2021... Even after we have a vaccine that works and even after we demonstrate its safety and efficacy and even after we’ve produced enough doses to go around, at least for the first round, we still need to get it delivered and that’s going to be a big challenge,” Dr. Bar-Zeev said. “What we’re seeing is science live in real time. I think in the long run, that’s good for science and that’s good for community trust. In the short run, it leaves people feeling a little bit, say, uncomfortable.”

I so deeply want for you to be right and for me to be wrong... I love the optimism on here, as well as elsewhere, and at bare minimum it certainly does no harm.  But remember that only 2 months ago experts were trying to see if there was some way to get students back into classrooms before the end of the school year.... and now there's a question of how much in-person in-classroom learning will be possible for the entire rest of the calendar year, 6 months from now.   Many outdoor parades and expos scheduled for the first few months of 2021 have already been postponed or canceled.   So personally speaking I don't think scheduling school trips to see Broadway shows for this winter is a wise use of planning, when I've reluctantly come to think HogansHeroes may be right when he says "My belief is that we will not see a Broadway musical (I think we may see a few plays) before Fall '21. I have been saying this since April and I still think it is going to be the case."   But again, I miss theater so much (I have tickets to two major rescheduled productions next spring) and would love to be surprised.

billkooschoir
Swing
Swing
Public Sale tickets#14
Posted: 7/31/20 at 9:08am

I'm going with optimism, but I also understand and get the logic in everyone's comments. Everyone has been looking forward to this trip for 4 years. We can push the trip to next year but my seniorsPublic Sale tickets  We have contingency plans for other locations, but there's nothing like NYC! It's possible the school district or the state shuts down the schools again around that time and the trip gets cancelled too.  Too much money invested to cancel now. Had everyone sign up for an insurance policy recently, so at least 75% is covered should the trip not happen. SadPublic Sale tickets 

Updated On: 7/31/20 at 09:08 AM
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#15
Posted: 7/31/20 at 12:22pm

Well Fauci is testifying right now and again said that a vaccine could not only be approved but (because doses are already being mass produced) started to be distributed before the new year. And until I hear him say something differently, I hold to my hope. 

Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#16
Posted: 7/31/20 at 12:47pm

I so deeply want for you to be right and for me to be wrong... I love the optimism on here, as well as elsewhere, and at bare minimum it certainly does no harm. But remember that only 2 months ago experts were trying to see if there was some way to get students back into classrooms before the end of the school year.... and now there's a question of how much in-person in-classroom learning will be possible for the entire rest of the calendar year, 6 months from now. Many outdoor parades and expos scheduled for the first few months of 2021 have already been postponed or canceled. 

I agree with you. Dr. Fauci just said that the United States would likely have a safe and effective coronavirus vaccine by the end of this year or early in 2021 so December or January. But of course, like Covid19 tests this past March and April, it will hard to get initially or too expensive for most. It will take a awhile for everything to get on track with that, probably 6 months or so. Of course, a vaccine might take years or never happen as well. 

She/Her
HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Sale tickets#17
Posted: 7/31/20 at 1:28pm

Hope is a good thing. I think there are two pieces to this puzzle however, an effective vaccine that is widely available, and a return to New York of tourists in the volume needed to sustain most shows (especially musicals). I think the latter is going to prove a steep climb, for several reasons (people not quickly embracing the vaccine, people dealing with the 1/3 reduction in gdp and lost income by conserving their luxury expenditures, etc). So... if there is a distributed vaccine (and it will need to be not just in millions but hundreds of millions) we MAY see Scott Rudin mounting his pre-sold TMM but I do not think all productions are going to feel like they are not going to take a bath. So optimism is good but I will reserve mine for the Fall.