Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Anyone got a clue about #WhatsInTheSoup actually is?

KJ4 Profile PhotoKJ4 Profile Photo
KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

Few days ago, a bunch of actors post their IG captions

'Everyone loves a mystery' #AKPICS #WhatsInTheSoup

Today they did it again

'Broadway may have gone dark, but the show must go on'

#WhatsInTheSoup

No one spill the bean and no matter how many people ask they just keep quiet. There r some rumors about Deathnote since few of them involving the English version but I highly doubt that. Anyone?

Updated On: 7/21/20 at 01:53 AM
BwayBeccaB Profile PhotoBwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
Swing
Swing

I'm DYING to know. We're supposed to find out Monday, but I'm curious what other people's theories are.

It has to be some kind of show that can be done virtually over Zoom right? Definitely some mystery. 

blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lower your expectations, these "surprises" are rarely that exciting
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
BwayBeccaB Profile PhotoBwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
Swing
Swing

Oh but the cast is so good and I'm just excited about it probably being accessible no matter where you live. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photofashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I was hoping this was the signs of a reboot of "The Soup" with Joel McHale...damn

"The 54th Street[theatre] had a rep as. . .where old musicals went to die." -Smaxie
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

it s reveal. a killer party?

there r 9 episodes. I guess they have to live tgh while filming?

the casts are great but the production s a bit ....cheap? I dunno if it s gonna come out good. But anyway to hear those sings I guess all d be forgiving. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDJrzduHrXj/?igshid=ss7gy61aths6

Updated On: 7/27/20 at 12:35 PM
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A zoom musical. 

K. 

She/Her
KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

Sutton Ross said: "A zoom musical.

K.
"

not quite, i just finish watching episode 1.

it's a kind of production. not a hollywood standard but definitely not just some online singing. I thought they d film together but i was wrong. A bit weird but this s probably what they say a new kind. In term of making a movie, to get the angles and acting perspective this must be quite complicate. 

the songs are quite good I must say, even though the pilot episode is only 8 mins long there are many singings. It sound pretty good and the hook is a catchy one. The quality of audio is fantastic but the quality of video though......cant they make it a bit more less noise in the background?  There should be a way to make it a clear cut than this. Though if u watch from mobile and not from large screen laptop it quite ok.

Updated On: 7/27/20 at 01:38 PM
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow, seems like the heat is really getting to a lot of you.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

it's a kind of production. not a hollywood standard but definitely not just some online singing. I thought they d film together but i was wrong. A bit weird but this s probably what they say a new kind. In term of making a movie, to get the angles and acting perspective this must be quite complicate.

the songs are quite good I must say, even though the pilot episode is only 8 mins long there are many singings.

So, like I said, a Zoom musical. Thanks. 

She/Her
KnewItWhenIWasInFron
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
joshdog2014
Swing
Swing

It definitely is nowhere near a movie, but it feels more produced than just a "zoom musical." The first episode uses different settings and costumes, and the clips are edited together to make it feel like the actors are in the same room, rather than it just being a bunch of faces vaguely looking at each other. The first episode was pretty good for a fully distanced production.

KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

Sutton Ross said: "it's a kind of production. not a hollywood standard but definitely not just some online singing. I thought they d film together but i was wrong. A bit weird but this s probably what they say a new kind. In term of making a movie, to get the angles and acting perspective this must be quite complicate.

the songs are quite good I must say, even though the pilot episode is only 8 mins long there are many singings.

So, like I said, a Zoom musical. Thanks.
"

no, definitely more than a zoom level. 

chrishuyen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

I just watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot.  It definitely has a pretty fun premise with wacky characters and a good dose of camp, and it looks like everyone is just having a blast doing it.  (My favorite part is that according to the cast list, Jeremy Jordan is playing Jeremy Jordan.)

Like others have said, it's definitely more than a zoom production, with separately filmed scenes, shot from multiple camera angles and featuring the characters getting up and walking around, etc.  The closest thing I'd liken it to would probably be the productions from The Other Palace, though this seems much more polished.  The entire show is stitched together quite well so that when it does go to split screen, it feels more of an artistic choice than a necessity, though most of the scenes only have one character at a time.  I'll be curious to see if they can keep it up as (presumably) the characters interact more with each other.

KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

chrishuyen said: "I just watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot. It definitely has a pretty fun premise with wacky characters and a good dose of camp, and it looks like everyone is just having a blast doing it. (My favorite part is that according to the cast list, Jeremy Jordan is playing Jeremy Jordan.)

Like others have said, it's definitely more than a zoom production, with separately filmed scenes, shot from multiple camera angles and featuring the characters getting up and walking around, etc. The closest thing I'd liken it to would probably be the productions from The Other Palace, though this seems much more polished. The entire show is stitched together quite well so that when it does go to split screen, it feels more of an artistic choice than a necessity, though most of the scenes only have one character at a time. I'll be curious to see if they can keep it up as (presumably) the characters interact more with each other.
"

I have never noticed what you said about the name before. Yeah it's funny as everyone got their own charactors name but Jeremy name is Jeremy lol.

Some of the people in my musical group are having a headache trying to figure out how they make a shooting, they wanna copy the format. It's clearly not self-made video. Maybe the camera man visit actors one at a time? But then they need to be very precise of which angle the actors should look, or how the film gonna cut and where are the position of each frame will be... even before shooting happened. Which I dont think it's simple things to do.

ps. their voices are so good when blend together. 

Updated On: 7/29/20 at 09:16 AM
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Let me clarify, when I say Zoom musical, it just means that no one is together and they are doing this in their respective homes/work spaces.

She/Her
KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=763890094179280

This interview with Jarrod Spector shed some light on many aspects. They actuallly did the impossible things. I cant immagine how much the directors job is gonna be. I mean, in just one frame, to have two people position themself in the same hight and look at things to make it look like they are seeing the same pictures is such a complicate matter in term of communication. They probably need to plan very very well to the tiny little details.

I hope others people can get some inspriations from this and do this kind of things more, we need some musicals at our home.

Updated On: 8/5/20 at 12:12 AM
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

KJ4 said: "https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=763890094179280

This interview with Jarrod Spector shed some light on many aspects. They actuallly did the impossible things. I cant immagine how much the directors job is gonna be. I mean, in just one frame, to have two people position themself in the same hight and look at things to make it look like they are seeing the same pictures is such a complicate matter in term of communication. They probably need to plan very very well to the tiny little details.

I hope others people can get some inspriations from this and do this kind of things more, we need some musicals at our home.
"

Yes, love it's a glory of art and technology. Broadway is obsolete now that we have this.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
KJ4
Understudy
Understudy

Episode 2 and 3 are out. Miguel Cervantes and Alex Newell both have a solo song. They also bring the students from Covenant House to feature in the song.

Updated On: 8/5/20 at 08:52 AM