Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Tennis Tribute

yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tennis Tribute#1
Posted: 7/16/20 at 10:51am

I received sad news this morning that the founder of one of the tennis groups I belonged to passed away last night at the age of 92. Tom founded this group 30 years ago and it was started to be a group for guys who were retired only. It was not long after that he expanded the group to anybody that wanted to play. The only requirement was that you bring a new can of tennis balls once in awhile for people to play with on the courts. This group had players of both sexes, all ages (20-90) all races and it even had a couple of wheelchair players.

Tom was a great guy. He was old Irishmen that grew up in Brooklyn NY and lived in Charlotte the last 40 years of his life. He played tennis up until the day he died, He told me when he turned 90 he was slowing down and could only play two sets of doubles now instead of three in the morning (lol). While obviously he could not move as good as he did many years ago he still was amazing for being 92. He still hit the ball pretty good and the last time I played doubles with him we beat two guys who were in their late 50's. Tom lost his wife and his younger brother last December and I wonder if that took a toll on him. He was a Catholic and very involved with the church and will be missed. RIP my old friend !!

javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tennis Tribute#2
Posted: 7/16/20 at 4:12pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, yankeefan7.  Wish I could have met Tom.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tennis Tribute#3
Posted: 7/16/20 at 8:38pm

Thanks Javero, I appreciate the condolences. I wish you could have met him also, I know you would have really liked him.

yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tennis Tribute#4
Posted: 8/4/20 at 11:51am

FYI - The members of the tennis group Tom founded and others in the community around the park are signing a petition requesting the city parks department to rename "Court 1" after Tom.  The people signing the petition has also told the city we will pay the cost of sign. I hope we can get this done, would be wonderful way to honor man who loved the game and invited everyone to play it.

Updated On: 8/4/20 at 11:51 AM