Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

For Colored Girls

troynow
Stand-by
Stand-by
For Colored Girls#1
Posted: 7/2/20 at 8:12pm

So... Does anyone know if For Colored Girls is getting a theatre? More importantly is there a change in director?

Last I heard Leah Gardiner was being fired and Camille Brown was taking over...

Anyone?

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#2
Posted: 7/2/20 at 8:39pm

troynow said: "So... Does anyone know if For Colored Girls is getting a theatre? More importantly is there a change in director?

Last I heard Leah Gardiner was being fired and Camille Brown was taking over...

Anyone?
"

You posted a thread about this a few months ago. That thread was the first I had heard about any plans for a transfer, and since then I still haven't heard any indication from any other sources saying this is in the work. I seem to recall asking you where you had heard the stuff about Gardiner, and their plans for Broadway, but you didn't respond. 

You seem to be the only person on this board who knows anything about this. So instead of you asking the board, would you be willing to tell us what YOU know, and how you know it?

I'm not trying to be rude or snarky - I'd genuinely like to know, because like I said, it doesn't seem that anyone else has info about this.

Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#3
Posted: 7/2/20 at 10:34pm

I loved this show when I saw it last December. Brilliant and very powerful. But, I have never heard that it was transferring to Broadway, and haven't read anything new about it this year. 

She/Her
troynow
Stand-by
Stand-by
For Colored Girls#4
Posted: 7/3/20 at 12:50pm

Oh sure. 

I heard directly from the Camille's agent that she is moving into the Director's seat for the Broadway transfer for For Colored Girls. I also know that Nelle Nugent and Ron Simons are the commercial producer attached. I saw them both at The Public.

So given Nelle's history I assumed immediately prior to confirmation that For Colored Girls was looking to make a move. 

Regarding Leah G. I was looking for confirmation from someone else. I think it sounded like more of a "hope" that Camille takes over, not confirmed. AND given theatre situation I assume there is someone on the board that can confirm or deny it,

Kad Profile PhotoKad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#5
Posted: 7/3/20 at 1:01pm
The production was fantastic, making the piece feel as vital and fresh as it was when it premiered, and it is beyond worthy of a Broadway transfer.
"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#6
Posted: 7/22/20 at 4:37pm

Looks like what troynow said has now been confirmed: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Camille-A-Brown-Helmed-FOR-COLORED-GIRLS-Seeks-Home-on-Broadway-20200722

Thanks for the tip, troynow! 

If this ends up happening, it was be an extremely rare circumstance of a director being replaced after an existing pre-broadway production. Plenty of directors have been replaced during workshops/readings, but rarely after a full production has been mounted. The only examples of this I can think of are King Kong (Daniel Kramer directed in Australia, and was replaced Drew McOnie) and Finding Neverland (Rob Ashford in London replaced by Diane Paulus). And in both of those cases, the writing team was replaced too. There was also Spider-Man, where Julie Taymor was fired during previews, and replaced with a "creative consultant," and when that happened, they also brought on another book writer. So this would be the only example I can think of where a director was replaced while the material remains the same. 

I said this in the other thread, but it raises questions about whether something can really count as being the "same production" if it has a different director. As the new director, Brown would and should have the authority to make whatever changes to the production she wants, which might include changing the casting, the costume design, set design, staging, or even the textual interpretation. And if she exercised that authority, it may become a different production entirely. That would be a shame though, because if there were professional issues with Gardiner, that shouldn't mean that the cast and design team should have to go too. 

The problem is, all of the decisions surrounding the original costumes, set, casting, etc. were all done in collaboration with Gardiner, and came out of her vision for the production. The designers may own the specific designs, but they would have consulted with Gardiner on them to see what she wanted for the production. So if Brown decides to only make minor changes, while keeping most of the staging and design work, it would be only fair for them to credit Gardiner as the original director, and give her compensation for using elements of her work (that's what happened with Spider-Man) 

Updated On: 7/22/20 at 04:37 PM
troynow
Stand-by
Stand-by
For Colored Girls#7
Posted: 7/22/20 at 8:13pm

Didn't want to be right but looks like I was.... More importantly...I love Leah's work. But I agree with your point....It is not really the " same"production. 

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#8
Posted: 7/22/20 at 8:24pm
Like most shows opening in 2021, they’re gonna need some huge names to sell tickets. I’m very curious who signs on for this one.
ClydeBarrow Profile PhotoClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#9
Posted: 7/23/20 at 9:41am

Never been a fan of Brown's choreography, except maybe The Fortress of Solitude. Really liked this at The Public and I think the only issue with the direction was that it was played in the round but not directed that way. I'm guessing they'll use a smaller Broadway house and put seating on the stage. Jordan is right though, this is going to be a hard sell and will need some big names in a few of the roles (other than Sasha Allen of CAMP fame).

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah
MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile PhotoMayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
For Colored Girls#10
Posted: 7/23/20 at 10:09am

As far as I heard, the design team is remaining intact. The director is the only position on the creative team being changed. As far as casting, my contact indicated that they intended to keep most of the Off-Broadway cast, but getting one of two names was a possibility.

JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#11
Posted: 7/23/20 at 10:24am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "As far as I heard, the design team is remaining intact. The director is the only position on the creative team being changed."

Not surprising; this seems like the most sensible thing to do from a logistical standpoint. But if this is the case, then they really aught to give Gardiner some compensation, and a credit along the lines of "Based on the direction of..." 

Because if they don't, that seems like a real slap in the face to Gardiner, and potential grounds for a lawsuit, no matter what happened during the creative process. 

And like I said above, it also puts Brown in an awkward situation, because there's only so much creative freedom she can exercise in these circumstances. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile PhotoMayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
For Colored Girls#12
Posted: 7/23/20 at 1:21pm

For all we know they might have indeed worked something out with Gardiner in terms of compensation. I have no idea. If it was film/TV, then Gardiner would be required to still be billed as director if replaced (see: "Solo: A Star Wars Story"For Colored Girls. But I am not up to date on those types of rules for theatre (at least for directors). 

But if they move to a proscenium Bway house, the entire staging would have to change. Brown would be doing that. And just because the same designers will be kept on, doesnt mean that design elements won't change for the new space. Which again, Brown would be at the helm of those changes. So I doubt a "based on the direction of" credit would be implemented. It seems quite different than, say, when that type of credit is used for choreography of classics, b/c they are lifting most of the dances straight from the original. 

In any case, I've enjoyed Brown's choreography, so I'm very interested to see how she does as a director. Now if we can just get this virus under control and bring Broadway back on line again to see it all come together! 

JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#13
Posted: 7/23/20 at 7:55pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "But if they move to a proscenium Bway house, the entire staging would have to change. Brown would be doing that. And just because the same designers will be kept on, doesnt mean that design elements won't change for the new space."

That's a good point - in fact, this possibility of keeping the designers while changing the designs themselves actually occurred to me before, which is why I phrased my earlier post in such a way where I said changing the "design work" rather than the "designers." But I forgot about this possible scenario when writing that last post, lol! 

But still, it seems unlikely to me that the designs would change so much that they no longer contained any elements of Gardiner's input. And this is even more of the case with the actors; if they cast a lot of the same people, it's pretty much inevitable that the actors' performances would be informed by their collaboration with Gardiner. There's no way Brown could direct them with a blank slate  - not that actors are ever truly blank slates (nor should they be), I just mean that it would be difficult for them to get Gardiner's input out of their heads when they spent months performing the roles under her direction. Not to mention the fact the casting itself would be informed by Gardiner's choices. Of course there are some exceptions, where you have big stars cast first, with directors hired later. But for the most part, casting is usually informed by a director's interpretation of each role, and how the different actors play together -  especially for a show like this, it seems to me that the director would have a big hand in casting for group chemistry, and building the group dynamic that informs the energy of the show. 

LightsOut90
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#14
Posted: 7/24/20 at 4:17pm

this seems like a show that would be fairly easy to stunt cast for a few months at a time

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
For Colored Girls#15
Posted: 7/24/20 at 5:54pm

LightsOut90 said: "this seems like a show that would be fairly easy to stunt cast for a few months at a time"

The definition of what shows will be "easy" to cast has gone out the window with the pandemic. Some stars might crave returning to the theatre for a shared community experience; they might also take the first well-paying gigs to come their way, after a year of no work. Other stars might be apprehensive to be in a room with 1000+ other people. And some might want to do theatre but film and TV commitments won't allow. A director with no track record (Camille Brown) can also be tricky to attract stars.

We'll see what happens.

JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For Colored Girls#16
Posted: 7/24/20 at 5:58pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: " A director with no track record (Camille Brown) can also be tricky to attract stars."

True, however I get the sense that this play, as well as Ntozake Shange's name, carry a lot of respect within the industry, particular for Black artists in the industry. This might attract some bankable stars. 

Alexander Lamar
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
For Colored Girls#17
Posted: 7/26/20 at 3:28am
Doubt she’d sell huge amounts of tickets, but I’d love India.Arie to become attached again.
BJR Profile PhotoBJR Profile Photo
BJR
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
For Colored Girls#18
Posted: 7/26/20 at 11:07am

JBroadway said: "True, however I get the sense that this play, as well asNtozake Shange's name, carry a lot of respect within the industry, particular forBlack artists in the industry. This might attract some bankable stars."

I think this is very true. I even think you could've gotten some stars before. But now, in this current environment, absolutely.

And after that article in the Times, I wondered if there might be a push to get quite a few of the shows they mentioned into theatres. Problem is, as always, available houses. But after the bloodbath that likely continues through next Spring, there might be plenty of room...

Also, I was happy to see a story highlighting theatre owner-producer relationship and the shows that were already circling that couldn't come in. Too much focus is put on the personnel hired and not enough on the captitalistic structural forces that uphold the white patriarchy. Those are far harder to change, but those are the ones that matter for true change all the way down.

silent
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
For Colored Girls#19
Posted: 7/30/20 at 12:05am
I think the show could do pretty well with the cast from the recent production.