Page: 1

Question re: Thank Goodness end note?

hearthemsing22
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #1
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:22am
So I think I may have read on here, actually, that the end note of one of the songs in Phantom is prerecorded? Do they do the same thing for the end note of Thank Goodness? Because I think theyre almost the same note and those Glindas have to hit it 8x a week...just curious!
broadwayboy223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #2
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:44am
The end of “Thank Goodness” is not prerecorded. Not all Glinda’s sing the optional high F6 (some dont even attempt the A5). Most Glinda’s usually sing C5 to A5 and call it good. Others have gone up to C6 and then a mere few have taken it higher to F6. None of this will probably make sense though unless you read music or know notes on a piano.

The only case I know of a Glinda not singing it as written (or any of the options) is when Kendra Kassabaum played Glinda. Her understudy in the ensemble sang the “Glinda note” at the end of Thank Goodness.
hearthemsing22
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #3
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:46am

broadwayboy223 said: "The end of “Thank Goodness” is not prerecorded. Not all Glinda’s sing the optional high F6 (some dont even attempt the A5). Most Glinda’s usually sing C5 to A5 and call it good. Others have gone up to C6 and then a mere few have taken it higher to F6. None of this will probably make sense though unless you read music or know notes on a piano.

The only case I know of a Glinda not singing it as written (or any of the options) is when Kendra Kassabaum played Glinda. Her understudy in the ensemble sang the “Glinda note” at the end of Thank Goodness.
"

I admit I did take music theory in college but I did not do very well Question re: Thank Goodness end note?  

WOW that’s interesting-so she just lip-synced while her understudy stood below? 

NOWaWarning Profile PhotoNOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #4
Posted: 6/30/20 at 3:16am
I think a couple of Glindas since Kendra Kassebaum have had their understudy in the ensemble sing it. And only a few have ever gone up to the optional F. But I don’t think anything in Wicked is pre-recorded except for Elphaba’s scream during the melting.
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #5
Posted: 6/30/20 at 10:34am

NOWaWarning said: "I think a couple of Glindas since Kendra Kassebaum have had their understudy in the ensemble sing it. And only a few have ever gone up to the optional F. But I don’t think anything in Wicked is pre-recorded except for Elphaba’s scream during the melting."

The Wizard's "have a little drink" (used twice during the show) is pre-recorded.

NOWaWarning Profile PhotoNOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #6
Posted: 6/30/20 at 9:08pm
Oh yes, forgot about that one!
alex814
Stand-by
Stand-by
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #7
Posted: 6/30/20 at 10:20pm

Tag said: "The Wizard's "have a little drink"(used twice during the show)is pre-recorded."

I always thought the actor playing Fiyero was in charge of singing this live

sparksatmidnight
Stand-by
Stand-by
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #8
Posted: 6/30/20 at 10:52pm

Nessarose's moan is also pre-recorded, along with Boq's lines right after Wicked Witch of the East (and some productions record the Oz head)

Updated On: 6/30/20 at 10:52 PM
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #9
Posted: 7/1/20 at 12:00am

alex814 said: "Tag said: "The Wizard's "have a little drink"(used twice during the show)is pre-recorded."

I always thought the actor playing Fiyero was in charge of singing this live
"

No it's always been pre-record of whoever plays the Wizard.

Found this from an old thread:
Originally whomever was playing Fiyero was supposed to also play the lover at the beginning, just as Nessa, Boq and Dillamond are all members of the mob. Fiyero doubling as the young wizard was dropped when Diggs came in as the actors were different races. Now the lover is played by a member of the men's ensemble, actually it's 2 different actors, as one ensemble member plays the young wizard at the beginning and a different ensemble member plays the same role in the flashback at the end. And yes, the ensemble member lip-syncs to a track of the actor playing the wizard's voice. I believe the flashback at the end was added quite a while after opening.

SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question re: Thank Goodness end note? #10
Posted: 7/1/20 at 9:55am

Chiming in as a soprano: the reason the title song cadenza in Phantom is so difficult is because it's a sustained series of high notes ending in an E6. It's not so much the notes themselves but how long you have to stay there and how long you have to hold them for. I'm honestly not familiar enough with "Thank Goodness" to know what precedes the high note at the end, but I doubt it's as vocally strenuous. A sustained F6 would be difficult no matter what, though--even in opera that note is usually staccato. 

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 7/1/20 at 09:55 AM