Page: 1

Love, Victor

MrsSallyAdams Profile PhotoMrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Love, Victor#1
Posted: 6/19/20 at 7:22am

I enjoyed the first season of Love, Victor despite it pulling its punches. It was too risque for Disney and too safe for Hulu.

Ana Ortiz, Rachel Hilson and Anthony Turpel give standout performances as Victor's mother, girlfriend and best friend respectively.

The openly LGBT characters are kept on the sidelines. The writers keep ditching them to focus on the archetypal straight kids. A second season, written for Hulu, has the chance to balance things out.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#2
Posted: 6/19/20 at 10:46am

I watched a couple of episodes, but there was nothing there to keep me interested. It's basically "Gay Kid in High School" 101, bland, rudimentary, and not smartly written. It really does belong on Disney Plus. Sex Education is an infinitely better coming-of-age show, with a more compelling gay storyline.

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#3
Posted: 6/19/20 at 12:02pm

I think the issue was when they were writing and filming it they thought it was going to Disney plus, and so it was mostly playing safe. But now that it’s on Hulu it doesn’t feel like there’s enough. I hope they delve deeper in season 2 and make something more compelling. I think the gay representation is good and it gave us a cliffhanger that will warrant another season.

Updated On: 6/23/20 at 12:02 PM
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#4
Posted: 6/19/20 at 6:18pm
Oh man, that all sucks to hear. “Love, Simon” has actually become one of my favorite films so I was really looking forward to this.
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#5
Posted: 6/19/20 at 6:56pm

When they moved it to Hulu, I wished they had the time or ability to reshoot a few scenes and make it slightly edgier and less vanilla. The actor playing Victor is okay, he is overshadowed by stronger actors and quite frankly doesn't hold a candle to Nick Robinson. Oh well, if there is a season two I hope it's just overall better. 

SmoothLover Profile PhotoSmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#6
Posted: 6/19/20 at 6:58pm

The reviews have not been very good.

n2nbaby Profile Photon2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#7
Posted: 6/20/20 at 3:08pm

SmoothLover said: "The reviews have not been very good."

It has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, as well as a 98% audience rating.

I do agree that it isn’t very good and the actor playing Victor is super bland but it’s gotten very good notices.

SmoothLover Profile PhotoSmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#8
Posted: 6/20/20 at 3:11pm

TV guide said that Love Simon was much better.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile PhotoSomeone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#9
Posted: 6/20/20 at 4:22pm

We've made it through two episodes so far, and I'm not sure we'll be able to stomach any more of this treacle. I'm doubly bummed because a buddy of mine is one of the show's show runners... It's just so relentlessly Hallmark-y and cliche-ridden. And sure, the lead is pretty, but do we need yet another straight kid playing a gay lead in 2020? 

kadu335 Profile Photokadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Love, Victor#10
Posted: 6/22/20 at 9:34am

I actually liked this. I think a lot of people have higher expectations on how exactly they want queer content to be, but I actually think Love Simon/ Love Victor do a good job as a LGBT alternative to your typical teen romcom (clichés and all). I wasn't really feeling it in the first few episodes, but I think episode 5 is when I really started getting into it and got curious to see what would happen next. It got gradually better from there, even though you could definitely see that they pushed back on a number of situations to stay within the Disney brand "restrictions". I actually disagree with you all on the lead... I actually thing he did a pretty great job. It's definitely a "quiet" performance, but I think he's super charming in the role and his chemistry with the rest of the cast was wonderful. Overall, it is full of cliches (like I would expect from a teen show), but it was fun escapism during these crazy times... I would definitely watch a season 2, especially with them being on Hulu and having more control over how they tell this story.

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Updated On: 6/22/20 at 09:34 AM
CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#11
Posted: 6/22/20 at 6:34pm

I gave it another shot, and I agree that it became more engaging at episode 5. I genuinely wanted to know what happened next, and I watched the last 6 episodes in one sitting.

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#12
Posted: 6/24/20 at 10:22am

SmoothLover said: "The reviews have not been very good."

It has a 91% on rotten tomatoes dude

Someone in a Tree2 Profile PhotoSomeone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#13
Posted: 6/25/20 at 1:51pm

To spare my husband (who really detested the Hallmark-y tone), I binged the rest of the season by myself a night ago when he retired early.

I will say that the episode set in Manhattan definitely got me choked up-- that was a very recognizable rite of passage for us baby gays on the east coast when I was coming up. Also the scene right after the NYC trip where he fesses to the upstairs buddy that he "likes boys". Well written and well-played.

Otherwise, I could never escape the sense that this was a show meant for folks who are REALLY scared of out-and-out gay tropes that will scare the children. Everything was so damn vanilla! Sure I was glad he got the boy he wanted (though there's no way that pairing can last). But let's please pray that next season, they can shoot for something more nuanced and less candy-coated. No-one can digest so much sugar in one sitting.

Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#14
Posted: 6/25/20 at 1:58pm

The last half of the season was much better than the first, and if it is renewed, the creators did say they would do more adult material since now it's on Hulu. It was perfect for a Disney audience, which was never where it should have been in the first place. 

Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#15
Posted: 6/27/20 at 12:55am

I loved it! If a show can make this jaded old ass tear up, then they're doing something right! I hope that it's pick-up for a second season on Hulu.

Express Yourself!
Updated On: 6/27/20 at 12:55 AM
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#16
Posted: 6/27/20 at 12:02pm

Possible spoilers here.

I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping for a season 2. It did sort of feel like they were spending quite a bit of time with Victor's parents and his straight friends, but as mentioned above it was originally conceived for Disney+ so hopefully we'll get more of Victor and Benji in season 2. I don't know at what point Disney passed on it, but if it was later in the process, I suspect the scene with two high school boys alone in a hotel room together might have been the step too far for Disney+. But Disney owns Hulu so it's really just a matter of deciding which streaming platform is right for the show and I think Hulu is likely the better choice. It is unfortunate since Disney+ could have potentially reached more young people who would benefit from seeing themselves represented on screen.

I particularly enjoyed episode 3 with the bonding moment between Victor and Benji over "Call Me Maybe" and then Benji's acoustic cover of "Call Me Maybe" later in the episode. I never liked the song, but that acoustic cover was a highlight. I didn't even recognize the song when Benji first started singing it and then when I did realize what was happening, I confess I was a bit emotional. It may be a little contrived, but who cares. It was cute.

I think the time spent on the parents was an effort to show a different kind of family dynamic. Love, Simon is a near perfect film but it's a total fairy tale. Simon's parents were extremely progressive and accepting and everyone in the school cheered for Simon on the ferris wheel. That's not reality for everyone and I thought the first episode did a really good job of setting up Love, Victor as showcasing the other side of that coin. Having said that Love, Simon is a complete joy and a refreshing change from the majority of LGBTQ films I've seen that never seem to allow their main characters a happy ending. Another recent film I loved from Brazil, The Way He Looks, was refreshing too for the same reason. I kept thinking while watching how much I wished there was a show like Love, Victor when I was in high school.

kadu335 Profile Photokadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Love, Victor#17
Posted: 6/28/20 at 11:58am

CATSNYrevival,

On a recent interview to TVLine with one the producers, he talks about the move to Hulu saying:
"(...) We made the show for Disney+ and as we were in the final stages of editing, a decision was made to move the show over to Hulu."
So, yes the show was done when they moved to Hulu

... and about "The Way He Looks", you're totally right. One of the cutest gay romcoms! I love it!

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love, Victor#18
Posted: 6/28/20 at 9:13pm
I forgot to mention Felix! If you don’t adore Felix we can’t be friends.