Dog Adoption Advice?

LuminousBeing Profile PhotoLuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dog Adoption Advice?#1
Posted: 6/14/20 at 8:37pm
Hi folks.

I live near Boston, MA and am trying to adopt a shelter dog. This is already a long and difficult process, and the quarantine has made it more so because shelters are closed and there are an insane number of applications. The other thing that complicates matters is that I can't adopt out-of-state because MA requires a 48-hour quarantine in an approved facility in MA prior to being "released" to the new home, and of course, these facilities are not operational now due to COVID-19. I've applied for dozens of dogs on petfinder and other sites from various shelters, often within an hour or two of their being posted, only to be told the next day that the dog is no longer available. Can anyone share any success secrets? Or anyone have any leads?

Here's what I'm looking for, in case someone has a lead or idea:
--A dog 1-3 years old (ish)
--Any gender, but preferably female
--Medium size (between 25 and 50 lbs. full-grown)
--No breed preference except that it NOT be a pitbull or mix due to MA housing restrictions on this breed, a lab or lab mix because they need too much space for us to make a lab happy, or Shepherd mix because they often look too much like my old dog and I want this dog to be its own "person."

I've been looking at Petfinder hourly for the past month. I've reached out to individual shelters on- and off-Petfinder and have filled out applications with multiple organizations. I've opened my search to anywhere in my state and am perfectly willing to drive anywhere in MA. I'm flexible with breed and size with those restrictions and am not looking for a "designer" dog or a puppy. I have a fenced-in yard and there will be someone home all day to supervise the dog, even after COVID. My former dog was obedience-trained and certified as n AKC Canine Good Citizen. Our old vet can vouch that my previous dog was well-cared for during its lifespan. So...any idea what I'm missing, any leads on someone who needs to re-home a pet or has an unwanted puppy litter coming, or a secret to adoption success?

Thanks, theater friends!
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dog Adoption Advice?#2
Posted: 6/16/20 at 3:04pm

LuminousBeing said: "Hi folks.

I live near Boston, MA and am trying to adopt a shelter dog. This is already a long and difficult process, and the quarantine has made it more so because shelters are closed and there are an insane number of applications. The other thing that complicates matters is that I can't adopt out-of-state because MA requires a 48-hour quarantine in an approved facility in MA prior to being "released" to the new home, and of course, these facilities are not operational now due to COVID-19. I've applied for dozens of dogs on petfinder and other sites from various shelters, often within an hour or two of their being posted, only to be told the next day that the dog is no longer available. Can anyone share any success secrets? Or anyone have any leads?

Here's what I'm looking for, in case someone has a lead or idea:
--A dog 1-3 years old (ish)
--Any gender, but preferably female
--Medium size (between 25 and 50 lbs. full-grown)
--No breed preference except that it NOT be a pitbull or mix due to MA housing restrictions on this breed, a lab or lab mix because they need too much space for us to make a lab happy, or Shepherd mix because they often look too much like my old dog and I want this dog to be its own "person."

I've been looking at Petfinder hourly for the past month. I've reached out to individual shelters on- and off-Petfinder and have filled out applications with multiple organizations. I've opened my search to anywhere in my state and am perfectly willing to drive anywhere in MA. I'm flexible with breed and size with those restrictions and am not looking for a "designer" dog or a puppy. I have a fenced-in yard and there will be someone home all day to supervise the dog, even after COVID. My former dog was obedience-trained and certified as n AKC Canine Good Citizen. Our old vet can vouch that my previous dog was well-cared for during its lifespan. So...any idea what I'm missing, any leads on someone who needs to re-home a pet or has an unwanted puppy litter coming, or a secret to adoption success?

Thanks, theater friends!
"

I think the problem is the demand has been so high due to COVID lockdowns.

I have a friend that works for a shelter here in NJ. She said dogs are coming in and out in as little as 48 hours. However, they are bracing for a large return of pets as lockdowns ease. This is horribly depressing but might make it easier for you to find a dog to adopt.

Also..and you may have already done this, try following up your applications with a phone call. They are probably receiving an overload of applications and a call might help yours stand out. 

Good luck!