Skip to main content Skip to footer site map



Hamilton Broadway Coming to Disney Plus July 3- Page 6

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
joined:10/9/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/9/05
...why?
gypsy101 Profile Photogypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
Broadway Legend
joined:1/22/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/22/13

Jordan Catalano said: "Well, no. It doesn’t make it silly. It’s on a platform that doesn’t show R rated material and the MPAA would have given it that R rating."

this remains to be seen though. i agree it's not a big deal but the MPAA isn't cut and dry with how many instances of the word elevate a rating to an R and usually it's when the word is used to mean intercourse that elevates it -- neither time it's used in Hamilton is that the case.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
jonah3500
Featured Actor
joined:3/17/17
Featured Actor
joined:
3/17/17

Jordan Catalano said: "...why?"

Because it’s the summer and I’m a student and I have nothing better to do with my time. :)

CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/17

gypsy101 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Well, no. It doesn’t make it silly. It’s on a platform that doesn’t show R rated material and the MPAA would have given it that R rating."

this remains to be seen though. i agree it's not a big deal but the MPAA isn't cut and dry with how many instances of the word elevate a rating to an R and usually it's when the word is used to mean intercourse that elevates it -- neither time it's used in Hamilton is that the case.
"

Motherf***er and motherf***ing are considered sexual uses of the word.

 

 

MichelleCraig Profile PhotoMichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
Broadway Legend
joined:5/28/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/28/14

I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to own the show on Blu-ray, but Disney never made their filmed/taped production of NEWSIES available physically. I think it's more of a way for them to totally control their moratoriums on titles that they've been doing since home video came into existence.

I know the two titles are completely different, but Disney did spend way over the typical amount spent to preserve a theatrical performance. They brought the original star back and I believe they shot for nearly a week at the Pantages in Los Angeles.

Maybe additional terms of the "deal" Disney made for the streaming rights to HAMILTON have been disclosed. I haven't seen the A to Z of it. Perhaps the Disney+ streaming window will be short so that the Broadway production and touring companies can resume once live theatre comes back.

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
joined:3/21/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/21/05

MichelleCraig said: "I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to own the show on Blu-ray, but Disney never made their filmed/taped production of NEWSIES available physically. I think it's more of a way for them to totally control their moratoriums on titles that they've been doing since home video came into existence.

I know the two titles are completely different, but Disney did spend way over the typical amount spent to preserve a theatrical performance. They brought the original star back and I believe they shot for nearly a week at the Pantages in Los Angeles.

Maybe additional terms of the "deal" Disney made for the streaming rights to HAMILTON have been disclosed. I haven't seen the A to Z of it. Perhaps the Disney+ streaming window will be short so that the Broadway production and touring companies can resume once live theatre comes back.
"

Disney bought this  believing they won the lottery. Whether or not people would have paid money to see a filmed stage show on the same level that they see a regular motion picture remains to have been seen. They paid too much money just stream it on Disney+. New subscriptions wouldn't even come close to recouping that investment. And let's not forget that Disney didn't actual film this or commission it, so there might be caveats in the distribution agreement requiring them to release it on DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.

Shubert Alley Cat Profile PhotoShubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
Stand-by
joined:7/1/08
Stand-by
joined:
7/1/08

Was this filmed in front of live audiences?  Will there be audience reaction / applause during the film?  I hope there is . . . I think that live audience component is part of the excitement of watching something filmed live on stage.

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
joined:5/16/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/16/03

Just wondering, when this becomes available Jul 3 will the Interweb break?

Cos I'm kinda thinking it will.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
schubox
Broadway Legend
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/16/16

Shubert Alley Cat said: "Was this filmed in front of live audiences? Will there be audience reaction / applause during the film? I hope there is . . . I think that live audience component is part of the excitement of watching something filmed live on stage."

Yes. According to Lin on GMA they filmed in front of an audience for a Sunday matinee and a Tuesday night performance. In between they did close ups and other things with no audience. He also said you would hear applause, gasps, cheers, etc. 

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
joined:3/21/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/21/05
I see people are still acting like a Broadway show has never been filmed before.
Hot Pants Profile PhotoHot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
Leading Actor
joined:4/24/19
Leading Actor
joined:
4/24/19
I don’t like that they cut out the f bombs. It’s a small thing, but it’s so unnecessary. Just make it rated R, it’s no big deal.
Hot Pants Profile PhotoHot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
Leading Actor
joined:4/24/19
Leading Actor
joined:
4/24/19
I don’t like that they cut out the f bombs. It’s a small thing, but it’s so unnecessary. Just make it rated R, it’s no big deal.
Rumpelstiltskin Profile PhotoRumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
Leading Actor
joined:4/22/07
Leading Actor
joined:
4/22/07

Has anyone seen any indication of how long it will be available on D+?  I assumed this would be a one-time thing when it was first announced, but the marketing indicates a start date of July 3 in much the same way streaming services market shows that stick around forever.  I’m sure that won’t be the case, but I haven’t seen anything definitive that tells me one way or the other.  

InTheBathroom1
Featured Actor
joined:10/6/18
Featured Actor
joined:
10/6/18
It’s staying on Disney+ for awhile. Lin said it would be on long enough to watch it over and over again. And there’s certainly no reason for them to take it down anytime soon.
schubox
Broadway Legend
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/16/16

Feel like it will just be easier to post all the stuff Lin said on Twitter.Source Lin's twitter. His responses in quotes.

 

"Ah, language subtitles! Thank you. Since we moved the release up by a year and a half, we’ll be adding alternate language subtitles as we get them (I’m so sorry for all the words, feverishly working translators, there are so many and that’s on me)"

On audience noises: "The good ones like laughs and claps and gasps, not the ringtones 

 yes it’s yours"

Opening statements from King George confirmed plus "Yes. AND the bows music. AND the weird thing Thayne does during bows. All of it."

On possible theatrical release: "Oh for theatrical release we had a 10 minute countdown clock at intermission! We hope we still get to do that. Someday, someday... (Okay bye for real)"

FAQ. 1 - At what time #HamilFilm will be available on July 3rd? . 2 - It will be available only for one day? No. 3 - For how long it will be available on D+? 

"1. I know this now! It's midnight July 3 PST, so that's 3am for us in NY and east coast, do the math til your time zone. 2. Not just one day. 3. You will just have it. For as many times as you like, right next to A Goofy Movie and Talespin and An Extremely Goofy Movie..."

 

Updated On: 6/23/20 at 07:04 PM
Rumpelstiltskin Profile PhotoRumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
Leading Actor
joined:4/22/07
Leading Actor
joined:
4/22/07

InTheBathroom1 said: "It’s staying on Disney+ for awhile. Lin said it would be on long enough to watch it over and over again. And there’s certainly no reason for them to take it down anytime soon."

I assumed they would show it for a very short time and then let demand build up for a theatrical release in the distant post-COVID future, or perhaps a once a year limited “event” on their streaming platforms to encourage subscriptions, or any other possibility that would generate a return on their huge investment.

Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
joined:7/20/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/20/13

It's pretty obvious he is saying it will stay on the platform for awhile. 

She/Her
darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
joined:8/23/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/23/08

Rumpelstiltskin said: "Has anyone seen any indication of how long it will be available on D+? I assumed this would be a one-time thing when it was first announced, but the marketing indicates a start date of July 3 in much the same way streaming services marketshows that stick around forever. I’m sure that won’t be the case, but I haven’t seen anything definitive that tells me one way or the other. "

I HIGHLY doubt they would spend 75 million dollars for a one day event. 

Darreyl with an L!
darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
joined:8/23/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/23/08

Rumpelstiltskin said: "Has anyone seen any indication of how long it will be available on D+? I assumed this would be a one-time thing when it was first announced, but the marketing indicates a start date of July 3 in much the same way streaming services marketshows that stick around forever. I’m sure that won’t be the case, but I haven’t seen anything definitive that tells me one way or the other. "

I HIGHLY doubt they would spend 75 million dollars for a one day event. 

Darreyl with an L!
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
joined:7/29/19
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/29/19
Is there much of any difference between the Broadway and touring? Why not record the original Broadway?
schubox
Broadway Legend
joined:5/16/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/16/16

SouthernCakes said: "Is there much of any difference between the Broadway and touring? Why not record the original Broadway? "

What? This is the original broadway cast, minus one ensemble member 

Rumpelstiltskin Profile PhotoRumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
Leading Actor
joined:4/22/07
Leading Actor
joined:
4/22/07

darreyl102 said: "Rumpelstiltskin said: "Has anyone seen any indication of how long it will be available on D+? I assumed this would be a one-time thing when it was first announced, but the marketing indicates a start date of July 3 in much the same way streaming services marketshows that stick around forever. I’m sure that won’t be the case, but I haven’t seen anything definitive that tells me one way or the other. "

I HIGHLY doubt they would spend 75 million dollars for a one day event.
"

I’m not making my point clearly.  I’m saying that it’s because they spent 75 million dollars that they would only make it available for a very short period the first time around.  Then, after some period of time, they would re-release it in one of several different ways with the intent of maximizing the potential profit (or, more likely, minimize the loss) and then take it out of circulation again.

We’re an unusual bunch here.  We love theater and enjoy seeing shows multiple times to repeat and compare the experiences.  Many (probably most) people are one and done.  They want to “see Hamilton” because it’s the thing to do but will have no interest in seeing it again. If D+ leaves this around for awhile, everyone who wants to see it will find a way to do so.  The pent-up demand will be satiated.

I’m thrilled this is being released now and will enjoy watching it many times.  (I predicted LMM would release it for the show’s 20th anniversary so I lost that bet by about 15 years.)  Regardless, we all want this to be a money-maker for Disney, otherwise there’s no argument from a business perspective to take chances with other shows. 

Sorry for beating the proverbial dead horse.  I’ll let it go now.  Hopefully I’ve done a better job of making my point.

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
joined:2/27/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/27/06

SouthernCakes said: "Is there much of any difference between the Broadway and touring? Why not record the original Broadway? "

As mentioned above, this Disney Plus HAMILTON is the original Broadway cast.  This was filmed entirely at the Richard Rodgers Theatre in 2016 about 2 weeks before the original Broadway principal cast left the show, including Lin-Manuel Miranda.  

theatretenor2 Profile Phototheatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
Featured Actor
joined:2/8/10
Featured Actor
joined:
2/8/10

Rumpelstiltskin said: "darreyl102 said: "Rumpelstiltskin said: "Has anyone seen any indication of how long it will be available on D+? I assumed this would be a one-time thing when it was first announced, but the marketing indicates a start date of July 3 in much the same way streaming services marketshows that stick around forever. I’m sure that won’t be the case, but I haven’t seen anything definitive that tells me one way or the other. "

I HIGHLY doubt they would spend 75 million dollars for a one day event.
"

I’m not making my point clearly. I’m saying that it’s because they spent 75 million dollars that they would only make it available for a very short period the first time around. Then, after some period of time, they would re-release it in one of several different ways with the intent of maximizing the potential profit (or, more likely, minimize the loss)and then take it out of circulation again.

We’re an unusual bunch here. We love theater and enjoy seeing shows multiple times to repeat and compare the experiences. Many (probably most) people are one and done. They want to “see Hamilton” because it’s the thing to do but will have no interest in seeing it again. If D+ leaves this around for awhile, everyone who wants to see it will find a way to do so. The pent-up demand will be satiated.

I’m thrilled this is being released now andwill enjoy watching it many times. (I predictedLMM would release it for the show’s 20th anniversary so I lost that bet by about 15 years.) Regardless, we all wantthis to be a money-maker for Disney, otherwise there’s no argument from a business perspective to take chances with other shows.

Sorry for beating the proverbial dead horse. I’ll let it go now. Hopefully I’ve done a better job of making my point.
"

LMM responded to someone about this on Twitter and implied we'll be able to watch it many, many times. I think it will be on Disney+ for a while. My bet is at least six months and then they will release in theaters as more of a sing-along play next year.

Fosse76
Broadway Legend
joined:3/21/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/21/05
How long before we see Mickey and friends performing songs from the show at Disney World? Or "Mickey as Hamilton" souvenirs?