Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

This friday ALW will stream the Broadway version of BY JEEVES

TaleofTwo Profile PhotoTaleofTwo Profile Photo
TaleofTwo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

A huge flop it seems, that played Broadway in the early 2000's for a month (at the Hayes). Anybody heard of this one?

http://www.filmedonstage.com/news/148-the-next-andrew-lloyd-webber-musical-to-stream-is-his-personal-favorite

“Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good.” ? Terrence Mann
castlestreet Profile Photocastlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The original version was Jeeves back in the 1970’s and was done in between JCS and Evita. It played Her Majesty’s Theater and was a huge flop. The show closed after only 38 performances. The original cast recording is only available on album.

In 1995/1996 he revived the show as By Jeeves, and changed most of the book and at least half of the score. The show faired much better and played Broadway in 2001. It did not do well on Broadway at all.

I find the score to be delightful. I believe this filmed version might be from a regional production - but I’m not 100% sure about that,
markypoo Profile Photomarkypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
From roughly 1996 - 2000, the question

"When is 'By Jeeves' coming to Broadway?"

was repeatedly being asked.

And when it did, it certainly wasn't for long at all.
raddersons Profile Photoraddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I've never heard of this -- Is this a Joseph spin-off? I've always wondered what was going on with the two servants of the Pharaoh who were thrown into that prison cell with Joseph for "doing their thing". Specifically the butler.

castlestreet Profile Photocastlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Does anyone else remember ALW serving tea outside of the theater in an attempt to sell more tickets?
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree the score is delightful. I've had this on DVD since it was released. If the stream is going to be in 1080 I'll definitely tune in.

Pernigraniline
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

It was only taped at 480i 60fps at CBC, and the DVD available is a conversion to 576i (50fps). Unless they go back to the original CBC tapes and upload at 60fps, I doubt it will look better, and will probably look worse, than the DVD.

temms Profile Phototemms Profile Photo
temms
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I vividly remember going to the theatre to see "By Jeeves" with a dear departed friend who was a Tony voter and brought me along. That is all I remember. I remember going, I remember the actors onstage doing some sort of environmental pre-show, and that's it. I presume somebody sang "Half A Moment" and I was looking forward to seeing how that song played in context, but I have no recollection.

I only say this because it's the only show in my history of theatregoing that left absolutely no impression whatsoever. Everything else I remember something about, good, bad or otherwise. And I don't go to the theatre unsober and I know I didn't fall asleep because that I'd remember and be horrified about. So I may watch just to see if it rings any bells at all. I have the Playbill. I know I was there. I know there were actors. Beyond that, I have nothing.

CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pernigraniline said: "It was only taped at 480i 60fps at CBC, and the DVD available is a conversion to 576i (50fps). Unless they go back to the original CBC tapes and upload at 60fps, I doubt it will look better, and will probably look worse, than the DVD."

That's a shame. It's unfortunate Cats, Joseph, Jeeves and Jesus Christ Superstar seem to have all been filmed on the cheap and no HD source is available.

davidbrian81
Swing
Swing

FInally.  This is the one I've been waiting for, even though i've had the UK DVD for 15 years. I believe most of the London cast are in the video.  It really is worth a watch. Maybe not something to see in a big theater, but great on video. I wish had it more life in the regional circuit.  Donna Lynne Champlin (from Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Sweeney Todd Broadway) is a treasure.  I wish they would have used film for his filmed shows from the early 2000's instead of tape.  Oh well. Maybe it will finally get some attention and they will release the DVD or streaming rights in the US.

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He's scraping the barrel now, isn't he?  Really not much left in the vault unless he starts showing previously unreleased material

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

*tents fingers*

RELEASE THE SYDMONTON TAPES

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
jagman1062
Stand-by
Stand-by

The show on Broadway was pretty much a snoozefest. I really don't see the need to stream it except to give people the satisfaction that they didn't pay good money to fall asleep in a theater.  I suppose it's a curiosity and may have a few fans.  Enjoy!

davidbrian81
Swing
Swing

I think this is a show that really doesn't translate to a big stage.  Like Aspects, it's a quieter, and smaller.  I've never seen it live so I can't quite compare.  And hey, it's free, and you don't have to feel bad about "walking out" if it isn't your cup of tea.  Maybe just skip to the musical numbers :) Love's Maze, It's a PIg, and That Was Nearly Us are highlights. I'm thinking Andrew Lloyd Masterpiece or JCSS 2000 will be next.  Neither are favorites of mine. I don't know what else RUG has recorded to stream unless they get rights to the movies of Evita, Phantom, JCSS, or *sigh* Cats

Theatre Fan3
Stand-by
Stand-by

Sure wish they would have filmed WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND and THE BEAUTIFUL GAME.  Would love to see STARLIGHT again but it wouldn't be the same as seeing it in the theatre with the original London staging ... that was truly a fun night!! And it brings back memories of Stephanie Lawrence.  RIP

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

yeah we won't see anything that was unreleased

chrishuyen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I'm actually a bit excited for this since it's the first streaming show ALW's put up that I know nothing about, and I didn't know Donna Lynne Champlain was in it but that just makes me more interested.  I think I remember hearing a cover of Half a Moment before and I got the impression that I liked it, though I couldn't really say much else about the song now so we'll see I guess.

CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's a delightful score. I think if most people heard it without knowing who composed it, Andrew Lloyd Webber wouldn't be their first guess.

sbflyfan Profile Photosbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

This production had its out-of-town tryout at Pittsburgh Public Theater (Andrew Lloyd Webber was present in Pittsburgh for a few weeks making changes).

They then went to Canada and filmed with the same cast (I believe there might have been a few exceptions?), and the set was re-created on a soundstage, with a room built around it, to create an immersive feeling that the characters were performing inside a church hall.

Then the production went to Broadway with the same cast.

It's a rather "British" show and I think it was a little ahead of its time. With television series like Downton Abbey having a mainstream success in the USA, it might have fared better now.  It also helps to be slightly familiar with the Jeeves & Wooster characters.

I think the staging might have been a bit boring to sit through in-person, but this video is filmed very creatively. You feel like you're up-close with the characters.  It's a charming little show and really worth a watch!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2