Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

Regional Theaters during Coronavirus

MollyJeanneMusic
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#1
Posted: 4/11/20 at 9:38am

I wanted this to be a place where you can post some cool things your local community/regional theater is doing during this time - and promote them a little bit, too!  My local theater, the Center for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck, has found full recordings of their musicals and plays over the past 20 years and are offering them for $5, as well as doing telethons over Facebook live and offering some really cool online workshops.  Here's their website:

www.centerforperformingarts.org

Now it's your turn!

"It's you." "It's me. Orpheus." "Eurydice..." *crying*
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#2
Posted: 4/11/20 at 10:03am

They should be careful - technically, as I'm sure they don't have permission to sell those things.   That's covered under their rights and royalties agreement.  Usually you are given permission to make an archival recording that cannot be sold or copied.

WILL anyone do anything about it?   Hard to say. and probably not.....but it could happen. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#3
Posted: 4/11/20 at 11:17am

I have been coming across a lot of regional productions being put up on You Tube. Just caught an interview with the director of a Dinner theater on Colorado. It appears that they filmed what would be the show still running there, RAGTIME, but they are not offering videos of it or putting it up online, instead they started a Go Fund Me page and are offering a Tee Shirt or Tote bag for donations.

Just give the world Love.
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#4
Posted: 4/11/20 at 12:12pm

dramamama611 said: "They should be careful - technically, as I'm sure they don't have permission to sell those things. That's covered under their rights and royalties agreement. Usually you are given permission to make an archival recording that cannot be sold or copied.

WILL anyone do anything about it? Hard to say. and probably not.....but it could happen.
"

You can loosen the hold on your pearls, your purchasing the right to steam, not unlike what other theaters are doing.  Whether or not they have permission really is not your concern. 

HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#5
Posted: 4/11/20 at 12:47pm

Fosse76 said: "Whether or not they have permission really is not your concern.

Very little of what is discussed on this board of our concern. There is nothing wrong with pointing out that viruses do not kill copyrights, or ethics.

amaklo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#6
Posted: 4/11/20 at 1:15pm

Pittsburgh Public Theater's production of American Son had just opened when the shutdown happened.  We're subscribers and were supposed to see it March 15th.  It took a couple of weeks, but PPT arranged for ticket holders to have the option to see a filmed version of the production instead of getting a refund.  I don't think it's available to anyone who didn't already have a ticket. I signed up and got an email with a link and password that's good for a week.

The film was of the finished show, but I don't know exactly when it was done, or if what I saw was an archive filming or done specifically for this showing.  At the end of the credits after the show, there was a line that the presentation was approved by SDC, AEA and USA (directors, actors and designers/scenic artists unions).

RWPrincess
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#7
Posted: 4/11/20 at 3:58pm

Was Kerry Washington in it? That might be the Broadway version that's currently available on Netflix.

BwayLB
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#8
Posted: 4/11/20 at 6:28pm
Musical Theatre West in Long Beach, CA is doing online streaming concerts
ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#9
Posted: 4/11/20 at 7:10pm

I would so pay to see Papermill's Hunchback again via a streaming service.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
amaklo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#10
Posted: 4/11/20 at 9:23pm

RWPrincess said: "Was Kerry Washington in it? That might be the Broadway version that's currently available on Netflix."

I guess I wasn't clear.  It was the Pittsburgh Public Theater production. 

kelsieni
Swing
Swing
Regional Theaters during Coronavirus#11
Posted: 4/14/20 at 10:13am

RWPrincess said: "Was Kerry Washington walmartone in it? That might be the Broadway version that's currently available on Netflix."

Corona shutting down everything.

Updated On: 4/15/20 at 10:13 AM

Page: 1