Bootlegs during Quarantine- Page 4

hearthemsing22
Featured Actor
joined:2/14/20
Featured Actor
joined:
2/14/20
Bootlegs during Quarantine#76
Posted: 4/18/20 at 11:42am

No one has to "get a grip". People can have their own stance on things, especially bootlegs. People have come to the conclusion that an actor is awful and are saying this actor shouldn't have been cast in the production they're in...and these people haven't even seen the person in real life. They're basing this critique on bootlegs or audio recordings of the person that they've heard. Most of these people have not seen the show in person, so this harms that show (yes I am aware that other people will see it thanks) and the ACTOR, which is the most important. No, they shouldn't get used to rude comments. Actors are human, and words hurt no matter who you are, and its not easy to let things roll off you. It's incredibly selfish to say, it's not hurting anyone I can record whatever I want, I deserve this recording. I think in the age of social media people have become incredibly selfish and demanding and always ask for content but I feel like I always say that when this topic comes up. And no, I haven't actively been seeking out bootlegs because I'm too busy on Disney+ or watching on other platforms. 

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
joined:1/9/15
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/9/15
Bootlegs during Quarantine#77
Posted: 4/18/20 at 11:53am
Updated On: 4/23/20 at 11:53 AM
darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
joined:8/23/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/23/08
Bootlegs during Quarantine#78
Posted: 4/18/20 at 1:10pm

Why do people keep talking about the terrible quality of bootlegs, when they aren't that way anymore- at all... Are you watching MP4 files or something instead of DVD VOB files? Bootlegs are well shot and great picture quality these days. 

I'm not knocking someone being against them, but curious to how come people keep saying how horrible, terribly  they are shot and how bad the quality is when that is just not the case in most. 

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 4/18/20 at 01:10 PM
hearthemsing22
Featured Actor
joined:2/14/20
Featured Actor
joined:
2/14/20
Bootlegs during Quarantine#79
Posted: 4/18/20 at 1:43pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Thank you hearthemsing22"

Sorry it's hard to tell online...sarcasm? frown

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/05
Bootlegs during Quarantine#80
Posted: 4/18/20 at 8:30pm

darreyl102, I feel the same way. It's not like instagram stories of your least-favorite work friend seeing a concert at the Barclays Center.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
joined:3/21/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/21/05
Bootlegs during Quarantine#81
Posted: 4/19/20 at 6:48am

hearthemsing22 said: "No one has to "get a grip". People can have their own stance on things, especially bootlegs.

I never said they couldn't. But there idea that bootlegs have some far-reaching adverse consequences is nonsense. 

"People have come to the conclusion that an actor is awful and are saying this actor shouldn't have been cast in the production they're in...and these people haven't even seen the person in real life. They're basing this critique on bootlegs or audio recordings of the person that they've heard. Most of these people have not seen the show in person, so this harms that show (yes I am aware that other people will see it thanks) and the ACTOR, which is the most important.

People form those opinions from official recordings as well, so this argument has no merit.

No, they shouldn't get used to rude comments. Actors are human, and words hurt no matter who you are, and its not easy to let things roll off you.

They chose to enter into a profession in which criticism is expected and unavoidable, regardless of their ability to ignore negative comments. If they can't handle it, they are in the wrong business. 

It's incredibly selfish to say, it's not hurting anyone I can record whatever I want, I deserve this recording.

I never said that. However, people arguing against bootlegs have taken their existence as some sort of personal attack,  when it has no bearing on their lives. As I've said,  no actors/stagehands/musicians have ever lost a job because of bootlegs. Producers haven't lost money because of bootlegs. Shows haven't closed because of bootlegs. Yes, they are illegal. But their impact on the industry has not had any negative impact on the industry. Theater bootleg "customers" are, statistically-speaking, non-existent. So arguments to the contrary are specious at best.

darquegk Profile Photodarquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
joined:2/5/09
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/5/09
Bootlegs during Quarantine#82
Posted: 4/19/20 at 8:47am
The concert industry and recording industry both changed for The better when the Grateful Dead and others realized that bootlegs and boot trading culture could be turned to their advantages.

For one, live albums transitioned from being seen as a cheap cash-in, little more than a novelty, to an essential part of the music industry. The prevalence of bootlegs, and their increased acceptance during the 2020 quarantine, will undoubtedly be seen as incentive to record more shows and to preemptively negotiate contracts that would allow this in the future.
trpguyy
Broadway Legend
joined:2/25/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/25/05
Bootlegs during Quarantine#83
Posted: 4/19/20 at 9:50am

darquegk said: "The prevalence of bootlegs, and their increased acceptance during the 2020 quarantine, will undoubtedly be seen as incentive to record more shows and to preemptively negotiate contracts that would allow this in the future. "

The existing Broadway contracts already allow for the recording of shows, but producers don’t want to spend money that they know they won’t recoup. 

Updated On: 4/19/20 at 09:50 AM
hearthemsing22
Featured Actor
joined:2/14/20
Featured Actor
joined:
2/14/20
Bootlegs during Quarantine#84
Posted: 4/19/20 at 11:05am

Fosse76 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "No one has to "get a grip". People can have their own stance on things, especially bootlegs.

I never said they couldn't. But there idea that bootlegs have some far-reaching adverse consequences is nonsense.

"People have come to the conclusion that an actor is awful and are saying this actor shouldn't have been cast in the production they're in...and these people haven't even seen the person in real life. They're basing this critique on bootlegs or audio recordings of the person that they've heard. Most of these people have not seen the show in person, so this harms that show (yes I am aware that other people will see it thanks) and the ACTOR, which is the most important.

People form those opinions from official recordings as well, so this argument has no merit.

No, they shouldn't get used to rude comments. Actors are human, and words hurt no matter who you are, and its not easy to let things roll off you.

They chose to enter into a profession in which criticism is expected and unavoidable, regardless of their ability to ignore negative comments.If they can't handle it,they are in the wrong business.

It's incredibly selfish to say, it's not hurting anyone I can record whatever I want, I deserve this recording.

I never said that. However, people arguing against bootlegs have taken their existence as some sortof personal attack, when it hasno bearing on their lives. As I've said, no actors/stagehands/musicians have ever lost a job because of bootlegs. Producers haven't lost money because of bootlegs. Shows haven't closed because of bootlegs. Yes, they are illegal. But their impact onthe industry has not had any negative impact on the industry. Theater bootleg "customers" are, statistically-speaking, non-existent. So arguments to the contrary are specious at best.
"

Oh please. Bootlegs aren’t a black and white issue so get off your high horse. The actor in question is actually on the national tour of a show so no, there are no official recordings of that persons performance except a clip that shows the cast rehearsing a number that doesn’t even feature them singing or saying anything. So no, it’s not based on anything official.  Stop being so condescending. 
 

People don’t have to make awful comments. No one should get used to that. Doesn’t matter what profession you’re in. It’s easier said than done to let things just slide off you. So give it a rest. 

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
joined:10/9/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/9/05
Bootlegs during Quarantine#85
Posted: 4/19/20 at 11:43am
I’m just really happy that this thread isn’t 100% exactly like every other thread on this topic that pops up every other month.

Oh, wait.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/05
Bootlegs during Quarantine#86
Posted: 4/19/20 at 3:21pm

I mean, Seth Rudetsky is just showing them on Stars in the House...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
220Basswood
Stand-by
joined:10/26/14
Stand-by
joined:
10/26/14
Bootlegs during Quarantine#87
Posted: 4/19/20 at 3:29pm

When I went to youtube to see Andre Bocelli's performance the only bootlegs I did not see any bootlegs shot from the orchestra.  If people like one level up performances with not so great lighting they can find Wicked and Beetlejuice. 

darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
joined:8/23/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/23/08
Bootlegs during Quarantine#88
Posted: 4/19/20 at 7:56pm

220Basswood said: "When I went to youtube to see Andre Bocelli's performance the only bootlegs I did not see any bootlegs shot from the orchestra. If people like one level up performances with not so great lighting they can find Wicked and Beetlejuice."

What do you mean in the last part of your statement? 

Darreyl with an L!
Tapping23
Understudy
joined:10/4/17
Understudy
joined:
10/4/17
Bootlegs during Quarantine#89
Posted: 4/20/20 at 2:00am

trpguyy said: "darquegk said: "The prevalence of bootlegs, and their increased acceptance during the 2020 quarantine, will undoubtedly be seen as incentive to record more shows and to preemptively negotiate contracts that would allow this in the future. "

The existing Broadway contracts already allow for the recording of shows, but producers don’t want to spend money that they know they won’t recoup.
"

That is not completely true. They include permission for an archival copy   And even that has a ton of rules. For a show to be broadcast SAG or AFTRA have jurisdiction. These contracts and deals are incredibly detailed and specific making them a huge headache. The entire reason some of the biggest shows broadcast are from the West End is because they don’t have the same union rules as we do here. 

220Basswood
Stand-by
joined:10/26/14
Stand-by
joined:
10/26/14
Bootlegs during Quarantine#90
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:33am

darreyl102 said: "220Basswood said: "When I went to youtube to see Andre Bocelli's performance the only bootlegs I did not see any bootlegs shot from the orchestra. If people like one level up performances with not so great lighting they can find Wicked and Beetlejuice."

What do you mean in the last part of your statement?
"

 

What I was trying to say was that Beetlejuice and Wicked are on youtube but they were filmed from the mezzanine, the people filming did not zoom in and the lighting looks terrible.

darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
joined:8/23/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/23/08
Bootlegs during Quarantine#91
Posted: 4/20/20 at 6:21pm

220Basswood said: "darreyl102 said: "220Basswood said: "When I went to youtube to see Andre Bocelli's performance the only bootlegs I did not see any bootlegs shot from the orchestra. If people like one level up performances with not so great lighting they can find Wicked and Beetlejuice."

What do you mean in the last part of your statement?
"



What I was trying to say was that Beetlejuice and Wicked are on youtube but they were filmed from the mezzanine, the people filming did not zoom in and the lighting looks terrible.
"

Then you're watching the wrong ones my friend. 

Darreyl with an L!
Philly Theater Girl
Swing
joined:7/26/19
Swing
joined:
7/26/19
Bootlegs during Quarantine#92
Posted: 4/24/20 at 4:32pm

Karen Olivo was on instagram today asking if anyone had bootlegs of Moulin Rouge and said she wouldn't rat them out.Guess she's looking for something to watch during quarantine.

VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
joined:5/2/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/2/13
Bootlegs during Quarantine#93
Posted: 4/24/20 at 5:01pm

Philly Theater Girl said: "Karen Olivo was on instagram today asking if anyone had bootlegs of Moulin Rouge and said she wouldn't rat them out.Guess she's looking for something to watch during quarantine."

This is EXACTLY my point. The next time performers on Twitter or Instagram start complaining about how much they hate bootlegs, send them a screenshot of Karen's post. The community can't have it both ways.

CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/17
Bootlegs during Quarantine#94
Posted: 4/24/20 at 5:35pm

I agree with VotePeron that just 1 post like this negates any argument on the other side, especially when it comes from someone in one of the highest grossing shows on Broadway. I think it's fairly obvious that most actors only care about filming when they're distracted by the camera while they're on stage, and people who know what they're doing are far more discreet than that.

Bootlegs during Quarantine

Updated On: 4/24/20 at 05:35 PM
poisonivy2 Profile Photopoisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Broadway Legend
joined:1/3/16
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/3/16
Bootlegs during Quarantine#95
Posted: 4/24/20 at 5:54pm

Ironically the only bootleg I've seen has her understudy.

CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/17
Bootlegs during Quarantine#96
Posted: 4/24/20 at 5:59pm

poisonivy2 said: "Ironically the only bootleg I've seen has her understudy."

She also addressed that...

Bootlegs during Quarantine

MlleDaae Profile PhotoMlleDaae Profile Photo
MlleDaae
Featured Actor
joined:5/16/03
Featured Actor
joined:
5/16/03
Bootlegs during Quarantine#97
Posted: 4/28/20 at 8:23pm

Oooo! A bootleg post... ::grabs popcorn::

"You are young. Life has been kind to you ...You will learn."
hearthemsing22
Featured Actor
joined:2/14/20
Featured Actor
joined:
2/14/20
Bootlegs during Quarantine#98
Posted: 4/29/20 at 7:39am
Just because actors/other people who might usually be opposed to bootlegs are asking for them now, doesn’t mean you should use that against them the next time they call someone out for recording whenever theater comes back. These are unprecedented times and people need to do whatever they need to for their mental health. If that means getting outside every day and taking a long walk, that’s what it is. If it’s watching bootlegs, that’s what it is. We can’t attack people for doing what is best for THEM. Don’t be someone who tells someone else how they have to quarantine or shames them for what they did later.
Eva D Buff
Swing
joined:4/2/20
Swing
joined:
4/2/20
Bootlegs during Quarantine#99
Posted: 5/3/20 at 1:00am

Look like boots to me too. Ironically, for the opposite of the usual reason: the artwork is *better* than what most labels are giving out as promos these days!

 

fb video downloader

Updated On: 5/7/20 at 01:00 AM
KJ4 Profile PhotoKJ4 Profile Photo
KJ4
Chorus Member
joined:4/15/20
Chorus Member
joined:
4/15/20
Bootlegs during Quarantine#100
Posted: 5/3/20 at 2:25am

completely against it. I apologize first for this following language I will use. But this s what my heart is.

The bootleg will make broadway go downhill eventually. why?

when there r bootleg --> some people wont spend money to go to the theater --> some show will not make enough profit or survive, lot of income will reduces --> all the income of actors are effect --> people turn 'AWAY' from BW because they cant make a living and more talents in BW will go for television.

At the end, you will lose some really good talents because they wont be able to survive it.

And here s BW board, it s a place for people who love BW to come and discuss things. So even if 'WE' still cant support the people we love ---- WHO WILL?

Cut the crap about not living in US. I live in Asia and have no direct flight to US. Last year I save up and travel to US twice, one for watching Waitress cus 2 people I love Shoshana and Jeremy Jordan are in it. Another time on New Year because there r concert of Kristien Chenoweth in LA and few days later Jeremy Jordan concert in NJ (yes, I also fly accross the coast for this 2 events)

So I repeat, stop this things about not living in US. it s a matter of you love it enough or not. If you want to really do something strong enough, you will find the way. It s matter of saving and priority. If I can do it, so as other people. Im just middle class (even slightly lower than that even compare to Asia standard. And our living is a lot of cheaper than US and Europe so think about my income value).

 

If u r filming those Bootlegs, just remember you are killing them slowly . All the downhill from here is from you hands. SHAME ON YOU. We have seen how many people now that go for TV and not doing BW because they  wont earn enough. Stoo turing the blind eye on this. 

Updated On: 5/3/20 at 02:25 AM

4
Page: 4