Page: 1

New Ryan Murphy show “Hollywood” coming to Netflix

Gorlois Profile PhotoGorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/inside-ryan-murphys-hollywood-a-revisionist-homage-to-golden-age-tinseltown

This sounds so good!
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Stunning. Cannot wait!

Updated On: 4/18/20 at 01:43 PM
SmoothLover Profile PhotoSmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 4/18/20 at 11:42 PM
CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MlleDaae Profile PhotoMlleDaae Profile Photo
MlleDaae
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

Said this before and I'll say it again... I am SO here for this!!! May 1st can't come soon enough.

"You are young. Life has been kind to you ...You will learn."
MichelleCraig Profile PhotoMichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20200428-hollywood-review-this-lavish-period-fantasy-is-a-disaster

Reviews are all hitting now if you want to Google...was having trouble getting links on my iPad.

Updated On: 4/29/20 at 09:52 PM
SmoothLover Profile PhotoSmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I expected much more.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile PhotoSomeone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's a shock to me that we got to the end of the 7 episodes with not a single break of the 4th wall or crawl at the end to tell the audience that this whole thing was a Tarantino-level fairytale. How many of the viewing audience would already know that back in 1947 (or anytime before the 70's) there never WAS a woman running a major studio; a black screenwriter winning an Oscar; a Best Picture winner with a black actress as its star; an Oscar winner thanking his boyfriend on national radio in his thank you speech and on and on.

I would have loved to see a coda where a 70-year-old Jim Parsons tells a reporter that everything you just saw was a fantasy and here's what REALLY would have ended up happening to those same characters in the actual Hollywood.

Also couldn't SOMEONE have told the writers that no-one said "a person of color" or "woman of color" in 1947. Such a basic mistake. 

Updated On: 5/4/20 at 01:51 PM
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's a Ryan Murphy show. What did people expect?

They use the term "colored" many times, which WAS standard for that time.

Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It was a show about Hollywood in the 40's, told in the styles of movies made in the 40's (albeit more graphic), with a typical Hollywood happy ending. An "if only" fairy tale. (The last episode is even title "A Hollywood Ending" ). Anyone watching who doesn't realize this isn't the way things actually went down, isn't old enough to be watching... or is just plain dumb, I thought is was fabulous, over-the-top, campy fun... with a message! Jim Parsons had the best lines! I loved every minute of it! Binged it in one sitting! I just hope Scotty Bowers got a little cha-ching for inspiring a major part of the story. Anyone interested should watch the documentary, Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood, or read the book, Full Service, on which the documentary is based.

Express Yourself!
Updated On: 5/5/20 at 12:43 AM