Page: 1

New McDonagh film

Wee Thomas2 Profile PhotoWee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New McDonagh film#1
Posted: 3/21/20 at 3:43pm

Billed as the third in the Aran Islands trilogy (I thought Beauty Queen was the third?) Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are joining up again (after In Bruges) for The Banshees of Inisheer

frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New McDonagh film#2
Posted: 3/21/20 at 4:16pm

Beauty Queen was the first in his Leenane trilogy along with Skull in Connemara and Lonesome West.  The Aran Islands trilogy hadn't been finished, at least until now apparently.

Broadway61004
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New McDonagh film#3
Posted: 3/21/20 at 9:58pm

Banshees of Inisheer was always the third play in the Aran Islands trilogy, although it was never published or performed (rumor has it that McDonagh ripped it up as soon as he was done writing it because he hated it, but not sure if that's accurate or if any copies still exist).  But now it seems he'll finally "complete" it with a film version instead.

Falsettolands
Stand-by
Stand-by
New McDonagh film#4
Posted: 3/21/20 at 10:11pm

Broadway61004 said: "Banshees of Inisheer was always the third play in the Aran Islands trilogy, although it was never published or performed (rumor has it that McDonagh ripped it up as soon as he was done writing it because he hated it, but not sure if that's accurate or if any copies still exist). But now it seems he'll finally "complete" it with a film version instead."

This, essentially. The play has been completed for a number of years but McDonagh had reportedly deemed it filled with problems and never up to his personal standards

lachri5
Stand-by
Stand-by
New McDonagh film#5
Posted: 3/21/20 at 11:05pm
Judging from the synopsis of the original play on wikipedia and that of the movie in the press release, he rewrote the whole thing, new characters, new plot, only the title survived.
rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New McDonagh film#6
Posted: 3/22/20 at 3:46am

I would rather have a film of The Pillowman 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
Wee Thomas2 Profile PhotoWee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New McDonagh film#7
Posted: 3/22/20 at 9:21am

I appreciate the corrections on the trilogies.  I still need to see Skull.