The Next US President's Priorities

javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#1
Posted: 3/11/20 at 1:11pm

Let's say that a Democrat is elected president in Nov and sworn into office next Jan.  He will face a host of challenges in discharging his duties as Chief Executive and in rounding up money to implement whatever goals eventually make their way into the party platform.  For that, he'll require the assistance of a House Speaker of Nancy Pelosi's caliber to do the heavy lifting, and by all appearances, a Senate Minority Leader capable of some hellacious horse-trading.

Since there's only so much that can be reasonably accomplished during a term in office with a split Congress, would you kindly identify any four (4) of the following initiatives which in your estimation stand a chance of being realized during the next president's first 3 years in office:

Pandemic Illness Preparation & Response

Extension/Improvement of the Affordable Care Act

Medicare for All/Universal Health Coverage

Green New Deal

Free Public College/University Tuition

Continued National Security/War on Terror

Immigration Reform

Criminal Justice Reform

Sane Gun Laws

Campaign Finance Reform

Federal Judicial Appointments including naming Ruth Bader Ginsburg's successor on the SCOTUS

ETA: Nationwide Fracking Ban

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 3/12/20 at 01:11 PM
Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#2
Posted: 3/11/20 at 1:54pm

I don't know specifics on how a normal administration would handle a pandemic crisis like we're facing now so I'm not thinking of including that in my thoughts, but obviously any competent human can handle it better than this administration. So, in no order: 

- Campaign Finance Reform: Should be crystal clear where $ to a campaign is coming from. Donald Trump won an election due to breaking campaign finance laws, this is a must. 

- Medicare for all/Unviersal health care: I don't want to not call 911 due to an emergency but I can't afford it, lets fix that America. Like Jesus. 

- Sane Gun Laws: Abolish the 2nd amendment if you ask me, no normal citizen should have any reason to have a weapon of mass destruction in their hands. 

- Free Public College/Tuition: Best thing to help our future is make sure people are educated. I decided to not go to college as to not be in debt for the rest of my life, so it'd be nice to offer my eventual children an affordable college option that doesn't tie them down to payments for their next 20 years while colleges make up to a billion in profits. Its shameful. 

But goddamn, looking at this list we have so much sh!t to fix in our country, like, wow. Shows how corrupt and mismanaged we truly are. 

javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#3
Posted: 3/11/20 at 2:49pm

Mike Barrett said: "I don't know specifics on how a normal administration would handle a pandemic crisis like we're facing now so I'm not thinking of including that in my thoughts, but obviously any competent human can handle it better than this administration."

Thanks for participating, Mike Barrett.  I'll have to give the list more thought before picking my top 4, but suggest that Coronavirus abatement tops everybody's list.  There are so many unknown variables like the possibility of re-infection and a true tally of people already infected in the US.  Several medical doctors, virologists, and public officials have even asserted that another kind of viral outbreak is queuing up to make an appearance in a year's time.  We have a moral obligation to rid all levels of government of science-deniers because lives are on the line.

I'd also like to put out that while some form of universal health care exits in Canada, it doesn't include coverage for undocumented migrants.  I suspect that the advent of Coronavirus will force some hardliners on the right to soften their stance out of concern for public safety, but wouldn't bank on it.

Updated On: 3/11/20 at 02:49 PM
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#4
Posted: 3/11/20 at 3:23pm
If enacted your priorities would destroy what is left of the country.

I pity children being born into this along with those young people growing up. We are in for a world of ****.
Poster Emeritus
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#5
Posted: 3/11/20 at 6:56pm

If only there were someone, or a group of people, or a party or something that consistently has worked to bring this world of hurt to the nation while they get richer. That way we could say, well that policy and procedure they tried did harm and didn't help. Let's not use their techniques again.

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#6
Posted: 3/11/20 at 11:04pm

In our country now, basically nothing will get done unless the party of the POTUS controls the entire government. First, I truly doubt Pelosi will be elected speaker again. A Democratic House will try for legislation that will never see the light of day with a Republican controlled Senate. Next, Schumer does not have the political skills necessary to do some "Horse Trading" . To be fair, McConnell and Reid before him were just as bad. In other words, the only things that the next POTUS (Trump, Biden or Bernie) will get done will be by executive action. That is the sad state of the people we put into Congress.

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#7
Posted: 3/12/20 at 1:13am

Everybody is realizing now that Coronavirus changes everything, right?

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#8
Posted: 3/12/20 at 3:42am

Arggghhhhh...insomnia has kicked in.  I'm reluctantly going to add "Nationwide Fracking Ban" to the list.  The issues involved are sundry and well laid out here and here.  I'm not a fan of the shale oil (aka fracking) industry but agree with FindingNamo's assessment that Coronavirus changes everything. And a bear market doesn't help matters one bit.  We can't afford to let any industry go under.  If ever there was a time for politicos to set aside hyper-partisanship & egos, it's now. 

ETA: I do think that the Dem's need new leadership in both chambers of Congress regardless of Trump's fate.  This is not an indictment of Pelosi however who has done a remarkable job keeping her caucus together.  Schumer, on the other hand, has become somewhat reckless.

Updated On: 3/12/20 at 03:42 AM
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#9
Posted: 3/12/20 at 9:28am

"ETA: I do think that the Dem's need new leadership in both chambers of Congress regardless of Trump's fate.  This is not an indictment of Pelosi however who has done a remarkable job keeping her caucus together.  Schumer, on the other hand, has become somewhat reckless."

IMO - we need term limits because people like McConnell, Schumer and Pelosi need to go. There is no reason for anybody to be in Congress for more than 12 years. There is still too much of an advantage being an incumbent so that is why you see people who have been in Congress for over 30 years. I don't believe Congress should be a career for anyone. I truly believe we all would be better served if we did not have lifelong politicians. To prove my point, please point out a legislative accomplishment of Bernie Sanders for example. The same could be said of many Republicans, Bernie's name just came to mind since he is running for POTUS.

Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#10
Posted: 3/13/20 at 4:10pm

The first priority of the next US President must be to remove any and all Republicans in general and Trump appointees in particular from positions of responsibility.  Only then will there be anything like hope.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
SonofRobbieJ Profile PhotoSonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#11
Posted: 3/13/20 at 5:03pm

FindingNamo said: "Everybody is realizing now that Coronavirus changes everything, right?

I...do not think they are...yet.  Everything.  This moment in time is changing everything. 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile PhotoTheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#12
Posted: 3/14/20 at 4:48am

Mr Roxy said: "If enacted your priorities would destroy what is left of the country.

I pity children being born into this along with those young people growing up. We are in for a world of ****.

Thankfully, the older folks who are stuck several decades in the past won’t be around when we younger citizens are in control, so there’s nothing for you to worry about, boo. xoxo

yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#13
Posted: 3/22/20 at 12:08am

" Thankfully, the older folks who are stuck several decades in the past won’t be around when we younger citizens are in control, so there’s nothing for you to worry about, boo. xoxo "

The younger citizens who need to be on Mommy and Daddy's health care until they are 26, need "safe" places on college campus because they are afraid of speech they don't agree with and want the government to pay for their student loans instead of being a grown up and pay your bills. Have fun in country that is controlled by you and others who think the same way - lol. No need for you to reply "OK Boomer", I will do it for you.

Updated On: 3/22/20 at 12:08 AM
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#14
Posted: 3/22/20 at 11:03am

"I'd also like to put out that while some form of universal health care exits in Canada, it doesn't include coverage for undocumented migrants." 

If refugee status is claimed, the Feds provide healthcare until the process for determining if they meet that criteria which can take years. If they r accepted as refugees they get landed status and provincial health care applies. IF they don't meet the criteria they can be deported but there is usually a lot of delaying tactics and then they point to the fact they now have children born here who would be penalized. Many refugee claimants are not people who face persecution in their home country or the country where they normally live, or who would face persecution if they returned to that country due to religion, nationality, political opinion, or. their membership in a particular social group (including groups that the person cannot change, such as gender, sexual orientation, past memberships, or groups they choose to join).but are in fact economic refugees. There was a situation some years ago where a  large number of Portuguese claimants were simply queue jumping saying they were persecuted in Portugal for being Jehovah Witnesses. They shared he same group of immigration consultants and they were advising them to do this.

Point being there, r avenues for care including my old Hassle Free Clinic

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin ā€œIā€™m going to have to science the shit outta this.ā€ The Martian
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#15
Posted: 3/22/20 at 2:47pm

Thanks for sharing your insights into the Canadian health care system, sabrelady!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that what some consider a third rail issue others regard as a basic human right.  I have some ultra-conservative friends and coworkers who will never embrace any M4A plan that includes express or implied coverage for undocumented workers.  Curiously, they're now hoping for oil industry and financial sector relief after their stock portfolios crashed and burned recently.

TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#16
Posted: 3/22/20 at 3:10pm

>The younger citizens who need to be on Mommy and Daddy's health care until they are 26, need "safe" places on college campus because they are afraid of speech they don't agree with and want the government to pay for their student loans instead of being a grown up and pay your bills. Have fun in country that is controlled by you and others who think the same way - lol. No need for you to reply "OK Boomer", I will do it for you.

Ahh... what drivel... Boomers who have insisted that children need to go to college as the costs of attaining a college degree continue to balloon and balloon.. the amounts of debt they're saddled with compared to debts Boomers had when they went to college. Debt so insurmountable that they can never get out from under and will spend their entire lives just paying on the interest. A bulk of them entering the job market that despite their degrees are low paying forcing them into having to take second jobs. We **** on lower skilled employees for demanding a living wage but then watch as the world falls apart when they can't do THEIR jobs. You've done plenty to **** over the people of this country. There is no more entitled groups of people than ****ing Baby Boomers.

"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#17
Posted: 3/22/20 at 3:36pm

" Ahh... what drivel... Boomers who have insisted that children need to go to college as the costs of attaining a college degree continue to balloon and balloon.. the amounts of debt they're saddled with compared to debts Boomers had when they went to college. "

Once again you are clueless. First, my wife and I saved and did not do certain things so our grown daughters could go to college and not have student loan to pay. They have careers in the arts and are not rich but they are doing fine and paying their bills with no issues. I have always told people to learn a trade and you will have a very nice career. People always need plumbers, car mechanics etc and that does not cost $100,000. As I pointed out in another thread, I did not go to college and was an IT professional for almost 40 years.

Finally, the last job I worked in the company understood their employees were aging and they wanted to get younger. They hired between 20-30 college interns a year that started out at $50,000 a year and this did not count yearly bonus. They worked in several different parts of the IT group for two years and then got their permanent assignment. In other words, these young people started out at 22-23 years old making over $50,000 a year. Is that enough to pay your college loan?

Updated On: 3/22/20 at 03:36 PM
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#18
Posted: 3/22/20 at 3:48pm

" You've done plenty to **** over the people of this country. There is no more entitled groups of people than ****ing Baby Boomers. "

Really, what entitlements am I getting. Social Security was not my doing, it was FDR (1935) before I was born. I would have been more than happy to have all the money I put in Social Security for myself and let me decide how to invest it. I have three pensions from jobs I have had and I could survive on just them without Social Security.  Let's take Medicare which I paid into during my working years. It is not totally free and I still pay for it, in addition I pay for Medicare Supplemental. I also pay for Medicare prescription plan so please tell me how entitled I am.

Updated On: 3/22/20 at 03:48 PM
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#19
Posted: 3/22/20 at 4:29pm
>>>As I pointed out in another thread, I did not go to college and was an IT professional for almost 40 years.

So you are at best in your 60s. You are completely out of touch with reality. "We saved so our daughters could go to college without debt!" Which means your daughters are probably late 30 early 40s... Again from a different time. You seem to think the world works the exact same way it did when you grew up, but it does not. Quit burying your head in the sand...
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

- Aggie Cromwell
Highland Guy Profile PhotoHighland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Next US President's Priorities#20
Posted: 3/22/20 at 5:01pm

TheatreFan4 said: "You've done plenty to **** over the people of this country. There is no more entitled groups of people than ****ing Baby Boomers."

I am a 73-year-old ****ing Baby Boomer.  I devoted more than two decades of my life to the people of the United States as a U.S. Navy sailor.  I'm sorry you have no respect for my service......or to the multitude of other ****ing Baby Boomers who offered up their lives to ensure that there would be a United States left for you. 

VOTE BLUE IN 2020
Updated On: 3/22/20 at 05:01 PM
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#21
Posted: 3/22/20 at 5:07pm

Well good on you for wanting to destroy what you worked so hard to preserve I guess? Weird flex, but okay...

Also, don't  obfuscate your actions now with your military service then. It's not cute.

- Aggie Cromwell
Updated On: 3/22/20 at 05:07 PM
Highland Guy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Next US President's Priorities#22
Posted: 3/22/20 at 5:12pm

TheatreFan4 said: "Well good on you for wanting to destroy what you worked so hard to preserve I guess? Weird flex, but okay...

Also, don't obfuscate your actions now with your military service then. It's not cute.
"

Now you're just trolling.  It's not cute.

VOTE BLUE IN 2020
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#23
Posted: 3/22/20 at 5:47pm
Hey, you're the one voting for policies to bankrupt the middle class. That's all on you...

- Aggie Cromwell
Highland Guy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
The Next US President's Priorities#24
Posted: 3/22/20 at 6:10pm

TheatreFan4 said: "Hey, you're the one voting for policies to bankrupt the middle class. That's all on you..."

Is that so?  This life-long Democrat?  Someone who has voted for every single Democratic candidate and initiative since 1968?  The guy who time and again here has stated his support for Joe Biden, our next President?  The veteran who has voiced his disgust of the draft dodger who currently occupies the Oval Office?  I guess you know me better than I know myself.  Show me where I have indicated that I am "voting for policies to bankrupt the middle class".  Go ahead.  SHOW ME.

VOTE BLUE IN 2020
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Next US President's Priorities#25
Posted: 3/22/20 at 6:17pm
So you took the insult personally as opposed to who it was actually aimed at? Maybe if the generalization doesn't apply to you may be don't respond to it?

- Aggie Cromwell