Skip to main content Skip to footer site map



Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

Our theatre company THE NEW THEATRE produces every year a new title for young talented actors and singers as a stepping stone to their future education as a professional performer.

Spring Awakening was showered with awards and we made contemporary version of that in 2016, just as RENT and Tick, Tick... BOOM! in 2018. Both of them very raw shows with an extraordinary cast.

Now we are in preparation for a new season, but still doubting which show has to follow up these rock musicals with sex, drugs, rock & roll, good music and an outstanding storyline. Can you help us out with some recommendations?

 

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

https://hetnieuwetheater.nl/portfolio-item/rent/



 

Updated On: 3/8/20 at 06:08 PM
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
joined:3/1/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/1/04

Hair.

inception Profile Photo
inception
Broadway Star
joined:11/2/13
Broadway Star
joined:
11/2/13
How about an older classic with a large number of rolls like West Side Story, Oklahoma, or Guys and Dolls
...
ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
Broadway Star
joined:7/24/15
Broadway Star
joined:
7/24/15
Hedwig, Hair, American Idiot
Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Jesus Christ Superstar? American Idiot? Avenue Q?
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
joined:5/13/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/13/04

Where is your theater located?

Just give the world Love.
Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
Stand-by
joined:11/20/14
Stand-by
joined:
11/20/14

What space do you perform in? Your playing area looks absolutely enormous. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
Broadway Star
joined:11/2/13
Broadway Star
joined:
11/2/13

Ledaero said: "What space do you perform in? Your playing area looks absolutely enormous."

If you click on links in OP it looks like the Netherlands 

...
Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

Yes we're located in Holland, in Eindhoven. Every show we are looking for a unique location. Philips used to be located from origin in Eindhoven and that is why many old factories have remained in the architecture. See pictures below.

With RENT we could use an old fabric hall where they used to generate lightning bolts. 

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

 

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

 

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

 

Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

Yes, we are thinking about a modern adaptation of these shows!

Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

CATSNYrevival said: "Hair."

We find the storyline too thin.

 

What do you guys think about JAGGED LITTLE PILL and EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT JAMIE?

cjmclaughlin10
Broadway Star
joined:6/26/15
Broadway Star
joined:
6/26/15
Passing Strange
Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

cjmclaughlin10 said: "Passing Strange"

Never heard of! But sound really really interesting. Now listening to the cast recording on Spotify. Sounds vivid and certainly with a rock sound!

Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

What is your opinion about rock musicals like TABOO, BARE, JAGGED LITTLE PILL and EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT JAMIE? Which one is the best combination of good music and a moving story?

A modern adaptation of PARADE is also on our minds. Is this show not too 'American historical' and therefore only palpable for US people and not Europeans?

Look at all the shows we played before at https://hetnieuwetheater.nl/portfolio/

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

 

inception Profile Photo
inception
Broadway Star
joined:11/2/13
Broadway Star
joined:
11/2/13
It would perhaps be difficult to get permission to do Jagged Little Pill or Jamie as they are very new shows.

If yku are looking for a rock musical, maybe American Idiot, but if you think Hair has a thin story well then AI is even thinner.

It isn't rock music, but Urinetown has a very good environmental message but told very ironically through parody of classic American musical motifs. Not sure if it would translate to an audience unfamiliar with those.

Parade is very different from the rock musicals. I don't think a story about anti-semitism is wholly American.

...
Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

inception said: "It would perhaps be difficult to get permission to do Jagged Little Pill or Jamie as they are very new shows.

If yku are looking for a rock musical, maybe American Idiot, but if you think Hair has a thin story well then AI is even thinner.

It isn't rock music, but Urinetown has a very good environmental message but told very ironically through parody of classic American musical motifs. Not sure if it would translate to an audience unfamiliar with those.

Parade is very different from the rock musicals. I don't think a story about anti-semitism is wholly American.


"

Thanks for your opinion! Very helpfull to make the right choice. HAIR is on option, but not high on the list so far. TOMMY in a modern compressed version is a better option.

And PARADE is very different indeed, and I didn't mean the anti-semitism topic is typical American (that's universal and always important themes to show), but the American Civil War is less intertwined with our culture in Holland.

 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
joined:5/17/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/17/03

Tommy

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
Understudy
joined:6/5/10
Understudy
joined:
6/5/10

it doesn't have a storyline, but Runaways fits your other criteria.

jbird5
Broadway Star
joined:12/20/15
Broadway Star
joined:
12/20/15
American Psycho

Lazarus
Michelle chouraqui
Chorus Member
joined:11/25/19
Chorus Member
joined:
11/25/19
Heathers has become a tik tok sensation recently. Kids love it.
Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Not a rock score, but what about Cabaret?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
joined:7/22/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/22/03

Runaways has a storyline kind of the way Company does.

 

Passing Strange might be tough to cast since it's specifically a story about African Americans.

 

What about Pippin?

 

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Adversus
Swing
joined:3/6/20
Swing
joined:
3/6/20

Wow! Amazing! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. The expectations are high after our version of RENT!

The list is getting longer, but also did we scratch some titles off the list. 

PIPPIN has a great story and thematics, but for young talents maybe too difficult to actually deliver the kind of gracious and authority the roles need..

CABARET is a powerful story, but maybe a little too dark for a talentshow, we guess.

Has anyone more information about RUNAWAYS? I can't find the music on Spotify. Was it on Broadway before?

HEATHERS is totally new for me, I am not the TikTok generation, but it's absolutely the audience we try to reach with our stories. I am listening the cast recording which sounds various and cool.

LAZARUS is now in Holland in a professional version from producer Stage Entertainment, not the right timing and the version from Ivo van Hove is already so strong that I don't know a director who has a clear and different vision to direct this musical right now.

AMERICAN PSYCHO, is familiar to me as a movie... but was it on Broadway?

jbird5
Broadway Star
joined:12/20/15
Broadway Star
joined:
12/20/15
Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?#24
Posted: 3/10/20 at 10:33am

Adversus said: "Wow! Amazing! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. The expectations are high after our version of RENT!

The list is getting longer, but also did we scratch some titles off the list.

PIPPIN has a great story and thematics, but for young talents maybe too difficult to actually deliver the kind of gracious and authority the roles need..

CABARET is a powerful story, but maybe a little too dark for a talentshow, we guess.

Has anyone more information about RUNAWAYS? I can't find the music on Spotify. Was it on Broadway before?

HEATHERS is totally new for me, I am not the TikTok generation, but it's absolutely the audience we try to reach with our stories. I am listening the cast recording which sounds various and cool.

LAZARUS is now in Holland in a professional version from producer Stage Entertainment, not the right timing and the version from Ivo van Hove is already so strong that I don't know a director who has a clear and different vision to direct this musical right now.

AMERICAN PSYCHO, is familiar to me as a movie... but was it on Broadway?
"

American Psycho was briefly on Broadway a few years ago starring Benjamin Walker and Jennifer Damiano.  It had issues due to being extremely violent by Broadway standards.  It had music from the film + new music by Duncan Sheik.  There’s some material online if you look.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?#25
Posted: 3/10/20 at 10:43am
Also,

American Psycho transferred to Broadway from a run in London l.

Heathers is based on the great 1989 (non-musical) movie featuring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. I’ve never seen the musical do not sure how closely the show adheres to the movie, but if you’re considering it, checking out the movie might be helpful.