Page: 1

Why are Hadestown tickets so cheap this week?

PanaroFan111
Stand-by
Stand-by

Hey Everyone,

I've been wanting to see Hadestown for a while so i was checking seats for this week and i saw Orchestra seats starting at $79 which shocked the hell out of me. They weren't marked limited view or anything. So i was wondering is any of the major actors on vacation or maybe because this is the off season pricing specials. Just kinda curious :)

Broadway Buddy
Stand-by
Stand-by
Could be breaks and it could be that it’s Broadway’s “slow season.”
VintageSnarker
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's nothing on telecharge about scheduled absences. I don't know where else to look without wading into tumblr, twitter, etc. 

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hadestown practices dynamic pricing and it’s not peak tourist season so that probably explains it. I know very good orchestra seats were selling same day for $99 a few weeks ago and the full OBC was in.
bwayoutdoors
Understudy
Understudy

I believe Andre De Shields will be out of the show Wednesday (and I think also Tuesday) in preparation for his Lincoln Center concert Wednesday night. T. Oliver Reid will be on in his place.

bdn223 Profile Photobdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is also typically the time of year prior year’s nonzeigiest Tony winner’s sales start to slow down, as they’ve exhausted their New York Audience and not been able to truly expand to bridge and tunnel folk and tourists. There’s new crop of must see musicals and Hadestown is no longer the shiny new kid on the block. I see Hadestown’s managing remain a SRO show through September, but their marketing isn’t really that great. Out of what seems like no where Beetlejuice seems to have become the clear audience favorite musical of last season, which has definitely hurt Hadestown’s viability with the non traditional New Yorker theatergoing crowd. Add to that we had Moulin Rouge that opened over the summer to a SRO sales, and Tina and Jagged Little Pill also doing buffo box office numbers. In the coming weeks we have 6 new musicals and 2 well received revivals of beloved musicals that any regular theater goes knows won’t be revived again for another 20 years if at all.

This is not saying Hadestown is going to close anytime soon, but there’s a lot working against it at this point, and its producer’s don’t seem the wisest when it comes to transitioning to the show into a long running musical as its Best Musical win buzz is slowly wearing away.