Page: 2

Broadway legends still alive

jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #26
Posted: 1/11/20 at 10:53am

Add Jez Butterworth's THE RIVER to Jackman's work in dramatic theatre. Before Broadway, he played Curly in the Royal National Theatre's OKLAHOMA!.

Also, if I remember right, his 4 Broadway shows have all recouped!

And who else can match his BC/EFA fundraising record?

Updated On: 1/11/20 at 10:53 AM
smidge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #27
Posted: 1/11/20 at 11:48am
According to BroadwayWorld a bunch of us are Broadway Legends!
John Adams Profile PhotoJohn Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #28
Posted: 1/11/20 at 12:42pm

jo said: "Add Jez Butterworth's THE RIVER to Jackman's work in dramatic theatre. Before Broadway, he played Curly in the Royal National Theatre's OKLAHOMA!.
Also, if I remember right, his 4 Broadway shows have all recouped!
And who else can match his BC/EFA fundraising record?
"

Although his resume includes the theater work mentioned by all, I wouldn't consider Jackman to be a Broadway legend. He's most recognized as a movie star, and even when he was doing Boy from Oz, I think the general public perceived him as "Wolvereen" moonlighting in a Broadway show (having little knowledge of his theater work in Australia).

I think his most popularly recognized work in musicals (Les Miz and The Greatest Showman) were performed as a movie star.

Additionally, other than Boy From Oz, Jackman has never originated a role on Broadway, unlike many of the other suggested legends.

Updated On: 1/11/20 at 12:42 PM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #29
Posted: 1/11/20 at 12:52pm

For me, "legend" denotes major longevity, so I would still class Jackman as a star rather than a legend.

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #30
Posted: 1/11/20 at 3:44pm

tombomb31 said: "I know for me, personally, Beth Leavel is a legend. She’s worked consistently and always gives top notch performances. I guess the main difference between Beth and some of the other performers mentioned here would be that Beth isn’t really known by the mainstream."

I dont think Beth's names recognized by the average theatergoer.  This board does not represent the typical theatergoer.

morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #31
Posted: 1/11/20 at 3:47pm

Andrea McArdle

Updated On: 1/11/20 at 03:47 PM
Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #32
Posted: 1/11/20 at 3:56pm

yankeefan7 said: ""I agree that Nathan Lane,Audra MacDonald and Harvey Fierstein (to name three)are on their way to being Broadway legends, part of which comes with a certain age IMO (sorta like the Kennedy Center honors)."

I can't imagine what more Nathan Lane could do in his Broadway career to become a legend. As for age, he is 63, does he become a legend when he turns 70? People in other fields of entertainment are legends before they get old. The Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson were considered legends way before they hit 40. Meryl Streep was considered a legend way before she turned 70.
"

I actually think you are correct.  I think I was reacting to some of the posts that proposed ridiculous names IMO (e.g., Traci Bennett?, Beth Leavel, Jeremy Jordan, Laura Osnes, Tracy Letts, and even at this time Laurie Metcalfe, Mark Rylance and Hugh Jackman IMO), that I was trying to say that time and size of portfolio have to play a role.  My examples were not good.

If I think of historic Broadway legends, I come up with a decent number of names, all of whom had certain things in common: lengthy career in the theatre, large portfolio of theatrical productions on Broadway with many lead roles, their name alone caused audiences to purchase tickets, generally known beyond the core theatre-going public, etc.

PatrickDC Profile PhotoPatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Broadway legends still alive #33
Posted: 1/11/20 at 3:56pm

Jarethan said: "I dont think Beth's names recognized by the average theatergoer. This board does not represent the typical theatergoer.

"

I think this is a good point. To me, one key definition of a legend is if they are known widely, and beyond their primary area of expertise. Even people who may have never been to the theater and have zero interest in it likely recognize names like Carol Channing, Chita Rivera, et al. But what do I know. Based on some of the names in this thread I'm thinking I have no understanding of what makes a legend! LOL Broadway legends still alive  

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #34
Posted: 1/11/20 at 4:15pm

Loretta Swit

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 1/11/20 at 04:15 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway legends still alive #35