THE INHERITANCE - Reviews

JBC3
Broadway Star
joined:4/9/17
Broadway Star
joined:
4/9/17
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#101
Posted: 11/22/19 at 1:21pm
This David Cote column. Wow.

https://www.4columns.org/cote-david/the-inheritance
JSquared2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/23/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/23/17
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#102
Posted: 11/22/19 at 4:23pm

JBC3 said: "This David Cote column. Wow.

https://www.4columns.org/cote-david/the-inheritance
"

I've had the misfortune to sit next to or behind Cote at several press performances (including Part 1 of THE INHERITANCE), and a more dour, seemingly miserable human being I've never seen.  He has such a sense of self importance that he comes in as the lights are going down, scurries out just before intermission, and then dashes out of the theatre before the bows like he's Walter Kerr and needs to make the 9:00pm deadline for the morning edition of the NYT. He needs to get over himself.  

MrsSallyAdams Profile PhotoMrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
Broadway Star
joined:11/12/13
Broadway Star
joined:
11/12/13
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#103
Posted: 11/22/19 at 4:53pm

When did gay critics deduce that the cast of The Inheritance was straight? Are they simply undeclared or was there some "no-h*mo" posturing in the press? "As a straight man with a gay cousin it's an honor to play a gay role... etc. etc."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Stephen75
Understudy
joined:5/14/14
Understudy
joined:
5/14/14
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#104
Posted: 11/22/19 at 4:56pm
He’s not wrong lol.
ColorTheHours048 Profile PhotoColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
Broadway Legend
joined:4/4/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/4/08
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#105
Posted: 11/22/19 at 5:59pm
David Cote may very well be a miserable human with bad theatre etiquette, but he also happens to be totally right about this play. It’s an opinion, but it’s valid and reflects what a lot of the people I know personally who saw it (myself included) thought.
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
Stand-by
joined:5/29/13
Stand-by
joined:
5/29/13
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#106
Posted: 11/22/19 at 6:07pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "When did gay critics deduce that the cast ofThe Inheritancewas straight? Are they simply undeclared or was there some "no-h*mo" posturing in the press? "As a straight man with a gay cousin it's an honor to play a gay role... etc. etc.""

A cursory check of social media gives you a good idea. As did the three leads bringing their girlfriends to opening night. 

Chowd95 Profile PhotoChowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
Stand-by
joined:7/16/13
Stand-by
joined:
7/16/13
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#107
Posted: 11/23/19 at 12:18am

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "When did gay critics deduce that the cast ofThe Inheritancewas straight? Are they simply undeclared or was there some "no-h*mo" posturing in the press? "As a straight man with a gay cousin it's an honor to play a gay role... etc. etc.""

A cursory check of social media gives you a good idea. As did the three leads bringing their girlfriends to opening night.
"

I don't understand why that matters though? If you hadn't have told me I never would have known. Their performances are incredible and I completely bought into each of their characters.

 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom
Stand-by
joined:5/29/13
Stand-by
joined:
5/29/13
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#108
Posted: 11/23/19 at 1:44am

Chowd95 said: "itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "When did gay critics deduce that the cast ofThe Inheritancewas straight? Are they simply undeclared or was there some "no-h*mo" posturing in the press? "As a straight man with a gay cousin it's an honor to play a gay role... etc. etc.""

A cursory check of social media gives you a good idea. As did the three leads bringing their girlfriends to opening night.
"

I don't understand why that matters though? If you hadn't have told me I never would have known. Their performances are incredible and I completely bought into each of their characters.


"

As a gay man, I didn't find their performances authentic.

Chowd95 Profile PhotoChowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
Stand-by
joined:7/16/13
Stand-by
joined:
7/16/13
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#109
Posted: 11/23/19 at 2:35am

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "Chowd95 said: "itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "When did gay critics deduce that the cast ofThe Inheritancewas straight? Are they simply undeclared or was there some "no-h*mo" posturing in the press? "As a straight man with a gay cousin it's an honor to play a gay role... etc. etc.""

A cursory check of social media gives you a good idea. As did the three leads bringing their girlfriends to opening night.
"

I don't understand why that matters though? If you hadn't have told me I never would have known. Their performances are incredible and I completely bought into each of their characters.


"

As a gay man, I didn't find their performances authentic."

How so?

BWAY Baby2
Broadway Star
joined:11/10/14
Broadway Star
joined:
11/10/14
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#110
Posted: 11/23/19 at 4:54am

The sexuality of the performers has nothing to do with the play- if the acting is superb- what difference does it make? All gay performers were in a recent play- and sometimes gay performers portray gay people and sometimes gay people portray straight people- and everything in between. We have gone from color counters- to sexual preference counters- frankly, I think this misses the point of what theater is all about.

clever2 Profile Photoclever2 Profile Photo
clever2
Stand-by
joined:5/19/19
Stand-by
joined:
5/19/19
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#111
Posted: 11/23/19 at 5:08am

It honestly never crossed my mind  if any of the actors were straight. The central performances are genuine. I was very surprised to learn some of them weren't gay. Which means they are doing their jobs beautifully. 

Here is part of EW's recent interview with Matthew Lopez, which will perhaps be the final word on this issue.

Since this is a play about what it means to be a gay man, do you prioritize casting gay actors or the best person for the job?

"I have to go for whoever’s right for the role. The play is too enormous. The roles are too enormous to not do that. I’m very sensitive to the feelings of out gay actors in this business who see roles going to straight actors. As we were casting, we made a lot of overtures to out gay actors, many of whom passed on these roles. So, I’ve learned you cannot force an actor to do a play at gunpoint. We opened the doors to all corners and we looked at who was best for the part in terms of their spirit, in terms of their voices, and we cast the show according to those needs."

The entire interview can be found here.

Updated On: 11/23/19 at 05:08 AM
Wick3 Profile PhotoWick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Broadway Legend
joined:8/5/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/5/14
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#112
Posted: 11/27/19 at 11:06am

clever2 said: "It honestly never crossed my mind if any of the actors were straight. Thecentralperformances are genuine. I was very surprised to learn some of them weren't gay. Which means they are doing their jobs beautifully.

Here is part of EW's recent interview with Matthew Lopez, which will perhaps be the final word on this issue.

Since this is a play about what it means to be a gay man, do you prioritize casting gay actors or the best person for the job?

"I have to go for whoever’s right for the role. The play is too enormous. The roles are too enormous to not do that. I’m very sensitive to the feelings of out gay actors in this business who see roles going to straight actors. As we were casting, we made a lot of overtures to out gay actors, many of whom passed on these roles. So, I’ve learned you cannot force an actor to do a play at gunpoint. We opened the doors to all corners and we looked at who was best for the part in terms of their spirit, in terms of their voices, and we cast the show according to those needs."

The entire interview can be found here.
"

Thank you for sharing this interview, clever2. When I first saw the play in London, I was amazed by everyone's performances, especially the leads. I thought Soller deserved that Olivier hands down. 

I'll admit as a gay man myself that I wished they had cast openly out gay actors to originate the roles on Broadway given the plethora of gay actors here in NYC (or at least I think there is a good number of them here.) Either way, after reading this interview I'm thankful that Matthew Lopez and the casting team did reach out to openly out gay actors first. 

Kad Profile PhotoKad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
joined:11/5/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
11/5/05
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#113
Posted: 11/27/19 at 11:29am

Maybe I'm cynical, but that strikes me as the only answer Lopez could give, when it comes his and the production's best interests- sort of vague and puts the onus elsewhere and rests on the old "it's the best actors for the job always!" appeal to meritocracy. All the offers to out gay actors were declined? How... interesting. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/27/19 at 11:29 AM
SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
joined:7/29/19
Broadway Star
joined:
7/29/19
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#114
Posted: 11/27/19 at 11:34am
Agreed, Kad.

Considering it’s lead by straight white guys me thinks not much thought went into it.
SS3
Swing
joined:11/12/19
Swing
joined:
11/12/19
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#115
Posted: 11/27/19 at 12:13pm

David Cote was snoring loudly at The Michaels 2 weeks ago - I'm surprised he stayed awake to write his review.

Lot666 Profile PhotoLot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
Broadway Legend
joined:2/8/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/8/17
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#116
Posted: 11/27/19 at 12:49pm

My husband and I saw this on Sunday and didn't want it to end. We thoroughly enjoyed all 6.5 hours of it and would happily have spent even more time with these characters. We both agreed that it was the best of our five show visit, and that it would make a great movie.

============> this board is a nest of vipers <============

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 11/27/19 at 12:49 PM
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
joined:10/13/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
10/13/03
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#117
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:02pm

Wait, offers were made to a list of gay male actors who turned this down? Quite a statement. It either speaks to their other stellar opportunities or their issues with the script. Or maybe he's, like, you know, exaggerating to make a point. 

Maybe the "Boys" revival is still in my consciousness. An old  gay play -- to many boomers, THE gay play, before "Angels," though one with a track record of being un-PC -- pulled stars. But a new gay play couldn't get 'em on board?

Interesting.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Will3700 Profile PhotoWill3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
Stand-by
joined:5/6/13
Stand-by
joined:
5/6/13
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#118
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:14pm

Can anyone at this point hazard a guess if they will release tickets through at least May 2020?

I so want to see this and have left open slots on my May trip.

clever2 Profile Photoclever2 Profile Photo
clever2
Stand-by
joined:5/19/19
Stand-by
joined:
5/19/19
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#119
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:19pm
Kyle Soller has been based in the UK for more than a decade. The other unknown Americans in central roles — where did Samuel Levine and Andrew Burnap come from?
clever2 Profile Photoclever2 Profile Photo
clever2
Stand-by
joined:5/19/19
Stand-by
joined:
5/19/19
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#120
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:21pm

Will3700 said: "Can anyone at this point hazard a guess if they will release tickets through at least May 2020?

I so want to see this and have left open slots on my May trip.
"

One of the producers told me they’ll be happy to get to March. 

JSquared2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/23/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/23/17
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#121
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:23pm

Will3700 said: "Can anyone at this point hazard a guess if they will release tickets through at least May 2020?

I so want to see this and have left open slots on my May trip.
"

The producers are committed to running through to the Tonys.

 

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#122
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:37pm
Today I decided I might bite the bullet and buy tickets for both parts. It looks like the codes that I want to use work best on January 5 if I want to see both parts on the same day. That’s during the time that I will be there. However when I go to Telecharge Offers and try to use the codes I get as far as the seat map loading and then it just never loads. And I know that it usually takes a while for the seat map to load but it shouldn’t take 15 minutes. Any thoughts? I could probably wait at least for part two and get a discount ticket for that Sunday hen Audience Rewards releases January dates.
clever2 Profile Photoclever2 Profile Photo
clever2
Stand-by
joined:5/19/19
Stand-by
joined:
5/19/19
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#123
Posted: 11/27/19 at 1:41pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Today I decided I might bite the bullet and buy tickets for both parts. It looks like the codes that I want to use work best on January 5 if I want to see both parts on the same day. That’s during the time that I will be there. However when I go to Telecharge Offers and try to use the codes I get as far as the seat map loading and then it just never loads. And I know that it usually takes a while for the seat map to load but it shouldn’t take 15 minutes. Any thoughts? I could probably wait at least for part two and get a discount ticket for that Sunday hen Audience Rewards releases January dates. "

Telecharge’s website can be very unfriendly when trying to book performances in succession. Their customer service is usually very helpful. You might want to call them. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile PhotoColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
Broadway Legend
joined:4/4/08
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/4/08
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#124
Posted: 11/27/19 at 2:12pm
When I read “we approached out actors and they turned it down,” that makes me think they only approached out celebrities and that, when they turned it down, they didn’t even bother to find other out actors.

I’m not of the mind that only people within a given sexuality can play characters in that same sexuality, but this whole play felt so Gay Stuff 101 and it was partially rooted in the unbelievability of the straight dudes playing at gayness.
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
joined:8/10/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/10/17
THE INHERITANCE - Reviews#125
Posted: 11/27/19 at 2:22pm

clever2 said: "Telecharge’s website can be very unfriendly when trying to book performances in succession. Their customer service is usually very helpful. You might want to call them."

Thanks. I was avoiding calling because I didn’t wanna pay the extra fees for ordering over the phone, but the customer representative said that the fees are the same regardless so I ended up buying tickets for part one and part two with one of my discount codes. Still kind of pricey even with discount, but I’m looking forward to seeing both parts on Sunday, January 5. Sitting in row M Center orchestra for both parts.