Page: 1

Roger Rabbit musical

Globefan
Stand-by
Stand-by
Roger Rabbit musical #1
Posted: 11/10/19 at 12:26am

I don't know why Disney hasn't done a musical based on Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I think it'd be a big hit. 

Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Rabbit musical #2
Posted: 11/10/19 at 12:35am
I agree. I see zero logistical reasons why a stage version of this film couldn’t easily be made.
TheGingerBreadMan Profile PhotoTheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Rabbit musical #3
Posted: 11/10/19 at 12:38am
As fun as this could be, yeah, the blend of cartoons and live action would never work on stage. There’s no way to do it.
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Rabbit musical #4
Posted: 11/10/19 at 1:08am
I mean, if they were to do it, the most logical way to do it would be with puppets. But that still wouldn’t achieve the same effect as the film. Not by a long shot. Partly because puppets just...aren’t cartoons. And also because so much of the movie involves “cartoon physics” - puppets can’t move with nearly the same level of fluidity as cartoons,

If they did do a stage version, let’s just pray that they don’t try to use projections or LED screens to portray the toons. On some level, it would make sense, but it would probably look incredibly awkward and hideous, and would defeat the purpose of doing it onstage.
kaykordeath
Stand-by
Stand-by
Roger Rabbit musical #5
Posted: 11/10/19 at 12:57pm

The licensing rights would make this almost financially AND practically impossible.

You'd have to eliminate/re-create almost every non-original character. Which would, I think, take away a good chunk of the appeal of the story/setting.

Globefan
Stand-by
Stand-by
Roger Rabbit musical #6
Posted: 11/10/19 at 1:18pm

JBroadway said: "I mean, if they were to do it, the most logical way to do it would be with puppets. But that still wouldn’t achieve the same effect as the film. Not by a long shot. Partly because puppets just...aren’t cartoons. And also because so much of the movie involves “cartoon physics” - puppets can’t move with nearly the same level of fluidity as cartoons,

If they did do a stage version, let’s just pray that they don’t try to use projections or LED screens to portray the toons. On some level, it would make sense, but it would probably look incredibly awkward and hideous, and would defeat the purpose of doing it onstage.

"

They can do it the way they did with SpongeBob. 

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Rabbit musical #7
Posted: 11/10/19 at 1:33pm
Im not sure that works....in SB, they are all in the same world. In this, humans and animated charactwr mix in each others world.

I love the film, but i cant this working....but would be interested if someone figured it out.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Globefan
Stand-by
Stand-by
Roger Rabbit musical #8
Posted: 11/10/19 at 2:07pm

Disney is running out of time to make a sequel to the film. The author of the original book wants the rights back if Disney doesn't want to use the character in the next two years. I don't know if a musical would allow them to avoid losing the rights. 

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Rabbit musical #9
Posted: 11/11/19 at 12:33am

I really hope they don't make a musical. Roger Rabbit is so perfect a movie on every level (story, characters, humor, effects, acting), making a musical about it would just be gilding the lily.

rattleNwoolypenguin
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Roger Rabbit musical #10
Posted: 11/11/19 at 10:26am

I just always put my face in my hands at posts like this.

Roger Rabbit works because they are LITERALLY cartoons interacting with real people. That is the charm, that is the point and there’s many many aspects of it that hinge on those visual effects.

It’s not possible to recreate that on a stage without it looking hokey and if it’s with puppets it just doesn’t achieve the same effect.

The movie is showing a REALITY that these people truly live in and that’s why it’s fun
The Distinctive Baritone Profile PhotoThe Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roger Rabbit musical #11
Posted: 11/11/19 at 10:40am
I agree. This should not be a musical.
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Roger Rabbit musical #12
Posted: 11/11/19 at 11:05am

Just go to London to see the revival of City of Angels instead :)