Page: 1

What Musicals do you think should be performed more often in High Schools?

b741ma
Swing
Swing

According to NPR the most performed musicals in high schools are:

• 1. The Addams Family
  • 2. Mamma Mia!
  • 3. The Little Mermaid
  • 4. Beauty and the Beast
  • 5. Mary Poppins
  • 6. Newsies
  • 7. Little Shop of Horrors
  • 8. Seussical
  • 9. Into the Woods
  • 10. Shrek The Musical (tie)
  • 10. The Wizard of Oz (tie)

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these musicals. I'm just wondering if they're any musicals that aren't as popular as these in High Schools but that really should be.

I thought I had a perfect idea for a musical that more high schools should perform. With it's large cast of interesting and entertaining characters and it's very simple costumes, props, and set, I thought that A Chorus Line would be a perfect fit for High Schools to perform. My cousin's high school put on a production of A Chorus Line which she was in. I was talking to one of my theater friends about the possibility of our school performing A Chorus Line and she pointed out something I hadn't considered. Although the musical's lack of set and props may seem like a good thing they're not so good for the school's theater crew who one of their main jobs is to build the set. If a musical has no set than the crew has a lot less to do. I'm still curious how my cousin's high school was able to perform A Chorus Line if the crew had no set to build.

Anyway, what less common musicals do you think would be good fits for High Schools to perform?

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is no "should". Each school has to make the decisions right for them, based on a litany of things.

A Chorus Line is difficult for most schools since if you dont have great triple threats and a lot of them, you dont have a good show. Regardless of the absence of a set.

Ive only in my last 15 years, only produced 1 one those, so, Id say we already lesser done shows most of yhe time.

Shows weve done:
Millie
Sweeney Todd
Urinetown
Edwin Drood

To name a few.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
LuPita2 Profile PhotoLuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I think kids would love to do more modern shows. In The Heights, Spring Awakening, and Next to Normal. Relatable shows with topics and themes that directly speak to them. Obviously, most schools cannot perform NTN for many reasons, but I think kids would appreciate being trusted with more adult material. 

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I guess I’m not surprised none of the golden age musicals made the top ten but I am surprised Addams Family is number one.
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, under 18s cant perform simulated sex, so Spring Awakening is out.

As new shows have smaller and smaller casts, producing them at a high school is more difficult.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
SisterGeorge
Understudy
Understudy
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought "Hairspray" might be a good one. It has a fairly large cast, roles for whites and African-Americans and great message.

Updated On: 11/3/19 at 05:15 PM
darquegk Profile Photodarquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
laurensambrose Profile Photolaurensambrose Profile Photo
laurensambrose
Understudy
Understudy

I know it probably won't, especially in far less liberal states, but I feel like Head Over Heels would be fun for high schools to do

TheGingerBreadMan Profile PhotoTheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Besides the challenge of most high schools not having enough students who can dance at the level required for A Chorus Line, “Dance Ten Looks Three” would not go over well in many communities, as well as Paul’s monologue.
Boq101
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

There is also the worry that most of these schools have literally no budget from the school to put on these shows. My high school years in the early mid 2000's we lost lots of money doing Cabaret even though it was the best show I feel like we put together. We HAD to go Oliver next year because we could use costume the school already owned and the large cast plus casting kids from the middle school brought in more families to see the show. 

inception Profile Photoinception Profile Photo
inception
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
At the highschool down the street from me I have seen Cabaret, Hair, & Urinetown. All were excellent. I haven't seen anything there for a few years now though as they really don't advertise much outside of the school system it seems. They used to always put up a big billboard. Perhaps a new teacher is running the program now.
At another highschool, a few years ago I sae a production of Pippin. It was great seeing the reaction of kids in the audience seeing the show for the 1st time. At intermission the group sitting in front of me were all like, "This is weird...I don't understand" & by the end they were all crying and in awe.
cjmclaughlin10
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

Agree on Pippin and Hair
Would also add Merrily We Roll Along, Barnum, Damn Yankees, Ragtime, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Grand Hotel, Spamalot, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and Your A Good Man Charlie Brown

Updated On: 11/3/19 at 10:53 PM
Templeton33
Swing
Swing

And The World Goes 'Round, with an added ensemble/chorus.

trentsketch Profile Phototrentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Choosing a show is difficult. You have to account for the students you potentially have (never a guarantee they audition) and what the administration of the school would be comfortable with. 

I think most schools could do Honk, All Shook Up (there's alternate text that replaces the race dynamic with a rich/poor dynamic and it works well enough if you don't have a diverse enough community for the original version), and Once Upon a Mattress. They have large casts and the chance for a big ensemble. The burden of the show is pretty well spread out even with 2-3 larger parts and those bigger parts give your stars a chance to show off.

Working and Godspell are solid, too, for being flexible in casting and open to interpretation.

Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I could see Shaina Taub's version of Twelfth Night being very popular in high schools. Not only was it initally written for the Public Works program and meant to be performed primarily by amateurs, but it's one of the most accessible versions of Shakespeare I've ever seen.