Best touring production you have ever seen?

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/13/13

Since not all of us can make ti to Broadway often/every season, I thought this would be a fun thread to discuss some of the overall best touring productions you have seen in your lifetime. This can come down to however you judge it because well, art is purely subjective. Here's a few of my most memorable performances: 

- Memphis: While this may have not been everyones favorite show, 15 year old me loved it back when it played the Colonial in Boston. Just insanely strong  and passionate performances throughout, vivacious score, and it really solidified my love for the theatre. 

- Hello Dolly w/Betty Buckley: Again, such a treat! I honestly enjoyed this more than the Bernadette production. Maybe it was because I saw a Wed matinee that day with that crew, but this was just a glorious afternoon at the theatre. Betty was quite strong as Dolly, minus maybe a few comedic chops. Lewis J Stalden IS Horace. The rest of the supporting cast I find quite enjoyable as well. Really great stuff. 

- Dear Evan Hansen: Another one from this season, but this entire cast pretty much just transferred to Broadway. I think that alone should speak to the quality of performances. I know e everyone has love for Ben Platt, but I simply can't picture anyone else as Evan than Ben Levi Ross. A performance for the record books for me. Takes a lot for me to cry at any play/film and he got me. While I find the plot itself to be a little ridiculous, the character moments and reactions are just so genuine. Thats what makes this show for me. 

- Something Rotten: Again, may just have to do with the quality of cast here. But I'll never forget this one. 

- 1st and 2nd Natonal Tour of Jersey Boys. Jersey Boys began my love for theatre, and I've seen the show nearly 10 times across each company. They all will always hold a special place in my heart. Plus, hey, its a wicked fun show! 

 

 

So how about you guys? Im only 23 so my theatre going experience is not as long as others, but id love to hear everyone's thoughts. Our Broadway in Boston season starts next week with Come From Away, one of my all time favorites. Should be another wonderful season! 

MattieIce2018
Chorus Member
joined:5/8/19
Chorus Member
joined:
5/8/19
I completely agree about Something Rotten. That touring cast was incredible.
magictodo123
Broadway Legend
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/18/19

Come From Away. From the moment the lights went down and the music started, I was almost about to cry. They had me crying one moment and laughing the next. I fell in love with the show all over again. Absolutely recommend trying to see it if it comes by you. 

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/13/13

magictodo123 said: "Come From Away. From the moment the lights went down and the music started, I was almost about to cry. They had me crying one moment and laughing the next. I fell in love with the show all over again. Absolutely recommend trying to see it if it comes by you."

Saw it on Broadway with the OBC, and seeing it again next week on tour. I cannot wait!!! 

magictodo123
Broadway Legend
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/18/19

Mike Barrett said: "magictodo123 said: "Come From Away. From the moment the lights went down and the music started, I was almost about to cry. They had me crying one moment and laughing the next. I fell in love with the show all over again. Absolutely recommend trying to see it if it comes by you."

Saw it on Broadway with the OBC, and seeing it again next week on tour. I cannot wait!!!
"

The touring cast is amazing. I hope you love it! I'm already looking into getting Broadway tickets for my birthday--which is six months away!! I just love it so much. 

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/13/13

magictodo123 said: "Mike Barrett said: "magictodo123 said: "Come From Away. From the moment the lights went down and the music started, I was almost about to cry. They had me crying one moment and laughing the next. I fell in love with the show all over again. Absolutely recommend trying to see it if it comes by you."

Saw it on Broadway with the OBC, and seeing it again next week on tour. I cannot wait!!!
"

The touring cast is amazing. I hope you love it! I'm already looking into getting Broadway tickets for my birthday--which is six months away!! I just love it so much.
"

My mother's sister and family lives not far from Gander, so this should be special! We bought group tickets, 16 total for this performance lol. 

magictodo123
Broadway Legend
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/18/19

Mike Barrett said: "magictodo123 said: "Mike Barrett said: "magictodo123 said: "Come From Away. From the moment the lights went down and the music started, I was almost about to cry. They had me crying one moment and laughing the next. I fell in love with the show all over again. Absolutely recommend trying to see it if it comes by you."

Saw it on Broadway with the OBC, and seeing it again next week on tour. I cannot wait!!!
"

The touring cast is amazing. I hope you love it! I'm already looking into getting Broadway tickets for my birthday--which is six months away!! I just love it so much.
"

My mother's sister and family lives not far from Gander, so this should be special! We bought group tickets, 16 total for this performance lol.
"

Oh my goodness. I hope you all plan on bringing BOXES of tissues! Honestly, whenever I go to Penn Station and I see the line for Canada, I want to get on line and get a ticket to go there! I don't care how long the trip is--I want to go. But wow. That should be really special for all of you! I look forward to your review! 

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
joined:4/13/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/13/13
Best touring production you have ever seen? #8
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:11am

magictodo123 said: "Mike Barrett said: "magictodo123 said: "Mike Barrett said: "magictodo123 said: "Come From Away. From the moment the lights went down and the music started, I was almost about to cry. They had me crying one moment and laughing the next. I fell in love with the show all over again. Absolutely recommend trying to see it if it comes by you."

Saw it on Broadway with the OBC, and seeing it again next week on tour. I cannot wait!!!
"

The touring cast is amazing. I hope you love it! I'm already looking into getting Broadway tickets for my birthday--which is six months away!! I just love it so much.
"

My mother's sister and family lives not far from Gander, so this should be special! We bought group tickets, 16 total for this performance lol.
"

Oh my goodness. I hope you all plan on bringing BOXES of tissues! Honestly, whenever I go to Penn Station and I see the line for Canada, I want to get on line and get a ticket to go there! I don't care how long the trip is--I want to go. But wow. That should be really special for all of you! I look forward to your review!"

Thanks!! Ive been trying to get them to see this since I saw it over a year ago now. Hoping the cast lives up to the OBC, but we shall see. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
joined:11/5/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
11/5/06
Best touring production you have ever seen? #9
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:26am

Hard question, but i'll echo that the SOMETHING ROTTEN tour cast was pretty spectacular. I saw the second last stop with the original principles, and you could just tell they loved the show.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
joined:7/23/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
7/23/03
Best touring production you have ever seen? #10
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:29am

The Angelica company of Hamilton is pretty spectacular.  That was the most recent touring production I've seen.  But the excellent productions I've seen outweigh the underwhelming one's.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
dmwnc1959 Profile Photodmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Broadway Legend
joined:3/4/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/4/17
Best touring production you have ever seen? #11
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:38am

WICKED with Ginna Claire Mason and Mary Kate Morrissey. They were SUPERB!!!

markypoo Profile Photomarkypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
Broadway Star
joined:9/16/05
Broadway Star
joined:
9/16/05
Best touring production you have ever seen? #12
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:38am
The 2000 tour of PARADE; with David Pittu, Andrea Burns, and some members of the OBC.
Saw it in Cleveland.
markypoo Profile Photomarkypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
Broadway Star
joined:9/16/05
Broadway Star
joined:
9/16/05
Best touring production you have ever seen? #13
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:38am
The 2000 tour of PARADE; with David Pittu, Andrea Burns, and some members of the OBC.
Saw it in Cleveland.
TheSassySam Profile PhotoTheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
Broadway Star
joined:6/21/16
Broadway Star
joined:
6/21/16
Best touring production you have ever seen? #14
Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:49am

The Play That Goes Wrong was incredible in Chicago. 

 

I also really enjoyed a non-equity production of 42nd Street that came through here a few years ago. 

 

My first musical was the touring production of Spamalot with Gary Beach as King Arthur in Oklahoma City. I didn't get into musicals until I picked up a copy of The Producers on DVD from my local Blockbuster. So, teenage Sam, was FLOORED that I was actually seeing Gary Beach on stage. 

Skip23 Profile PhotoSkip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
Broadway Star
joined:1/9/16
Broadway Star
joined:
1/9/16
Best touring production you have ever seen? #15
Posted: 10/28/19 at 11:10am
Sandy Duncan’s PETER PAN

Highland Guy Profile PhotoHighland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Stand-by
joined:12/10/18
Stand-by
joined:
12/10/18
Best touring production you have ever seen? #16
Posted: 10/28/19 at 11:57am

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, San Diego, 2018.  Everything about it was perfection.  My only regret is that I saw it just once.

HELLO, DOLLY, San Diego, 2018, Betty Buckley.  I admit to being crazy for Miss Buckley.  My appreciation for her dates to 1968 when I first saw her in London in "Promises, Promises".  Since, I have seen her on stage many times.  Her interpretation of "Dolly" was something remarkable, a portrait of a real woman at a special moment in life.  When Betty shed real tears during "Parade," so did I.  The entire cast and orchestra were exceptional.  The four times I saw this productions were some of the very best evenings I have spent in a theater.  Brava, Betty!

DON'T MESS WITH ME (Nancy Pelosi)
hayleyann
Chorus Member
joined:9/26/18
Chorus Member
joined:
9/26/18
Best touring production you have ever seen? #17
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:24pm

dmwnc1959 said: "WICKED with Ginna Claire Mason and Mary Kate Morrissey. They were SUPERB!!!"

100% agree.  Their chemistry together is ridiculous.  Hope MK does Elphaba on Broadway after her Mean Girls run and GC sticks around for it. 

Plexsis
Understudy
joined:9/29/04
Understudy
joined:
9/29/04
Best touring production you have ever seen? #18
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:26pm
Les Miserables 2003 cast (Randall Keith as Valjean, Ma-Anne Dionosio as Eponine)

Sweeney Todd - tour of Doyle Revival with a good chunk of the broadway cast, with Judy Kaye as Lovett and Alexander Gemignani as Sweeney (who was a brief replacement for the original tour Sweeney who was having health issues)
Lot666 Profile PhotoLot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
Broadway Legend
joined:2/8/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/8/17
Best touring production you have ever seen? #19
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:41pm

The U.S. tour of Love Never Dies with Bronson Norris Murphy in the lead.

============> this board is a nest of vipers <============

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
David10086 Profile PhotoDavid10086 Profile Photo
David10086
Broadway Star
joined:7/22/17
Broadway Star
joined:
7/22/17
Best touring production you have ever seen? #20
Posted: 10/28/19 at 1:33pm
THE WHOS TOMMY - mid 90s tour.
HELLO DOLLY / Carol Channing tour - mid 90s.
Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
joined:1/9/15
Broadway Legend
joined:
1/9/15
Best touring production you have ever seen? #21
Posted: 10/28/19 at 1:38pm

dmwnc1959 said: "WICKED with Ginna Claire Mason and Mary Kate Morrissey. They were SUPERB!!!"

I have second this. My first time seeing Wicked was the first national tour with Alison Luff and Cassie Okenka, which I was simply amazed by and I was quite worried my second time seeing it wouldn’t live up to the first. I was wrong and somehow the effects used for the second national tour were even better than the first.

 

Bigserver1
Swing
joined:6/24/19
Swing
joined:
6/24/19
Best touring production you have ever seen? #22
Posted: 10/28/19 at 2:04pm

I saw the Buckley led Hello, Dolly! in January of this year and was floored. It was an exceptional production top to bottom. 

The Waitress cast we saw on tour last year was also outstanding. 

I feel like most touring companies I've seen have been really impressive, but those two stand out in my memory.

BwayLB
Broadway Star
joined:10/18/17
Broadway Star
joined:
10/18/17
Best touring production you have ever seen? #23
Posted: 10/28/19 at 3:07pm
Grease with Taylor Hicks as Teen Angel! Colorfully stages with high energy direction and choreography by Kathleen Marshall 2009

Memphis 2012 Totally underrated a rare package of a touching story and high energy staging

Motown the Musical 2015 Awesome package of Motown Greatest Hits

Hello Dolly with Betty Buckley and she nailed it as the title role. Supporting cast was superb
conealpetterson
Stand-by
joined:1/17/16
Stand-by
joined:
1/17/16
Best touring production you have ever seen? #24
Posted: 10/28/19 at 3:16pm
The OTC of the Hamilton Angelica Tour with Joshua Henry and Michael Luwoye, Dear Evan Hansen with Ben Levi Ross, Something Rotten, the Humans (it had most of the Broadway cast), and The King and I with Laura Michelle Kelly and Jose Llana.
Luminaire2 Profile PhotoLuminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
Stand-by
joined:2/27/18
Stand-by
joined:
2/27/18
Best touring production you have ever seen? #25
Posted: 10/28/19 at 6:31pm

Seeing as how I've yet make it to New York... all I have to go off of are tours.

 

First and foremost, when I was 15 I finally saw my first Broadway production, Wicked in Seattle. This was and is still probably one of the best tours I have seen, as it had Shoshana Bean and Megan Hilty. AMAZING.

Most recently:

Come from Away in Vancouver was incredible.

Book of Mormon was great, AJ Holmes was so amazing.