2019 thanksgiving parade broadway performances

Call_me_jorge Profile PhotoCall_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We’re about a month out, any insights on which shows will be performing on which telecast?
The NBC telecast is the one that has the live performances, while CBS has the taped performances. Usually from the shows theatre.

On NBC, I think its possible we could see Frozen, Aint Too Proud, Tootsie, Beetlejuice and maybe Oklahoma and Hadestown.
The latter two I could see doing the CBS telecast. Also, since Mean Girls was on the NBC telecast last year theyll probably be on the CBS program this year.

Updated On: 10/25/19 at 12:23 PM
Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Moulin Rouge will likely do the Macy's parade for more notoriety. If they're smart, they perform from the theatre on CBS to truly show people what they are in store for. 

ggersten Profile Photoggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Unlikely, but SiX could perform - They close in Edmonton on the 24th and open in St. Paul on the 29th. So being in NY on the 28th is possible - probably not wise - but possible. 

Broadway61004
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I would guess Tina and Ain't Too Proud will perform, both for their own notoriety and because the parade will try to get them since they figure more well-known songs will boost their viewership.

Updated On: 10/25/19 at 12:53 PM
bdn223 Profile Photobdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As the reigning Best Musical winner Hadestown will get a spot on NBC, I would also assume Beetlejuice, Tootsie, and Ain’t to Proud will get spots.
Moulin Rouge should get a spot, as its a new powerhouse, which I would guess would push Tootsie to CBS?
On CBS, I expect Frozen, Mean Girls, The Lightning Thief, and whichever 2018-2019 musical still running gets the boot from NBC so likely Tootsie or Beetlejuice.
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe last year there were some speculation about whether Frozen would perform and it did not. I think part of that is because Disney has its own parade on Christmas Day?

I thought maybe Jagged Little Pill but they’ll still be in previews so probably not.

I was wondering if Oklahoma! would perform since it is closing soon, but I suppose it could help boost its last couple of months of box office receipts. Not sure how much it costs (I’m assuming they pay the network?) to perform on either telecast.
RWPrincess
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Disney's Christmas Parade doesn't usually feature full performances from the Broadway musicals. It's primarily theme park parades and celebrity live performances. I'd guess Idina would be there this year performing Frozen 2 stuff. The last couple years they've also done a pre-show on Thanksgiving weekend as well so the timing works for the movie release. Maybe they didn't perform at Macys last year because NBC and CBS are competitors. I don't agree with this but I could see this being a sticking point.

Re: Tootsie. I would like to see Sarah Stiles perform What's Gonna Happen rather than that full ensemble Unstoppable number they've already performed in multiple venues. I'd settle for the opening number as well.

I'm also guessing Beetlejuice and Hadestown will perform. 

Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RWPrincess said: "Disney's Christmas Parade doesn't usually feature full performances from the Broadway musicals. It's primarily theme park parades and celebrity live performances. I'd guess Idina would be there this year performing Frozen 2 stuff. The last couple years they've also done a pre-show on Thanksgiving weekend as well so the timing works for the movie release.Maybe they didn't perform at Macys last year because NBC and CBS are competitors. I don't agree with this but I could see this being a sticking point.

Re: Tootsie. I would like to see Sarah Stiles perform What's Gonna Happen rather than that full ensemble Unstoppable number they've already performed in multiple venues. I'd settle for the opening number as well.

"

CBS and NBC being competitors didn’t stop newsies from performing on both telecasts, mary poppins, or the little mermaid.

ClumsyDude15 Profile PhotoClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The stage manager of Beetlejuice posted to his Instagram Story last night a series of posts where the cast and crew members keep asking him if they'll be featured on the Thanksgiving Day Parade and it is pretty hilarious. 

Updated On: 10/28/19 at 10:47 AM
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Scoop, to be announced tomorrow. The parade performances on CBS will be the following, with a theme that celebrates "the biggest and best of theatre in America!"

– Derren Brown

– a video clip from The Irishman

– Freestyle Love Supreme (sans audience participation)

– an "In Residence" retrospective featuring Yanni, Barry Manilow, and Mel Brooks

– a monologue from Linda Vista

DramaTeach Profile PhotoDramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

^ That's the best of theater?! None of those excite me. I'll be watching NBC.

MollyJeanneMusic
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

I could see Hadestown actually electing to perform on the CBS parade, if only to get to utilize the set at the Kerr.

"It's you." "It's me. Orpheus." "Eurydice..." *crying*
BritCrit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

RWPrincess said: "Disney's Christmas Parade doesn't usually feature full performances from the Broadway musicals. It's primarily theme park parades and celebrity live performances. I'd guess Idina would be there this year performing Frozen 2 stuff. The last couple years they've also done a pre-show on Thanksgiving weekend as well so the timing works for the movie release.Maybe they didn't perform at Macys last year because NBC and CBS are competitors. I don't agree with this but I could see this being a sticking point.

"

Re Tootsie, Opening Number would be hard to do because it is too tightly integrated into the story, although this could also be beneficial for Tootsie, as it places more focus on the comedy aspects...

Given that Frozen 2 is the main thanksgiving blockbuster, it would be fun if the Frozen Broadway cast appeared to sing some of the new songs. It would be interesting to hear Caissie sing ‘Into the Unknown’ (like Arielle Jacobs covering ‘Speechless’...)

veronicamae Profile Photoveronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
BritCrit said: "Given that Frozen 2 is the main thanksgiving blockbuster, it would be fun if the Frozen Broadway cast appeared to sing some of the new songs. It would be interesting to hear Caissie sing ‘Into the Unknown’ (like Arielle Jacobs covering ‘Speechless’...)"

While fun, that def won't happen. Idina hasn't even performed it live yet; her first performance of it will be, I assume, when she sings at the Saks Fifth Avenue Frozen 2 window unveiling on November 25, which won't be televised. They aren't going to give it to Caissie--and the musical keeps a bit of a distance between itself and the movie(s) anyway. Advertising their cast singing Frozen 2 songs would really only...backfire? (for lack of better term) the challenges they have with people expecting the movie when they see the musical.

That CBS list is...sad. lol

My predictions [for the NBC telecast, on floats or otherwise]:

Ain't Too Proud
Hadestown
Moulin Rouge!
Tina
Tootsie

Harry Connick, Jr.
Kristin Chenoweth
Idina Menzel
Pentatonix
John Legend
Lea Michele

RWPrincess
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I wonder if Idina might actually be on one of the floats singing Into the Unknown. I could see them doing that and running commercials for the musical.

Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Scoop, to be announced tomorrow. The parade performances on CBS will be the following, with a theme that celebrates "the biggest and best of theatre in America!"

– Derren Brown

– a videoclip from The Irishman

– an "In Residence" retrospective featuring Yanni, Barry Manilow, and Mel Brooks

"

I heard it was a full frontal nude scene from Linda Vista. 

JennH
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I know that Frozen didn't do Macy's on NBC, but if I recall they didn't perform on CBS either...which is strange. But if they haven't by now, I can't see them doing anything this year either. The more likely one would be CBS, as NBC is, for all practical conversation, pretty much reserved for stuff that opened in that current season. The Disney musicals usually do one or the other. I know Mary Poppins did Macy's but the very next year they did CBS. 

Hadestown will totally do Macy's, I'd be shocked if they didn't. The next likely Macy's contender is Moulin Rouge merely for the aforementioned note above. It's new this season. But if the producers want to show off that set, they'll do CBS. Tootsie? Sounds it would depend on what number they want to do. They've been doing Unstoppable for any TV marketing, so I can't see that they'll change it now, whether it's NBC or CBS.   From there, who knows if it'll be Tina, Ain't Too Proud, or Beetlejuice...Of those 3, I'd say Beetlejuice is most likely just by name alone. 

Sidenote-That I've never understood the need for the CBS broadcast...it's basically the parade without the actual parade. But that could just because Macy's and NBC are contracted hand in hand, so therefore Macy's can't be visible on the CBS broadcast. 

Veronicamae-You listed five, but keep in mind that Macy's/NBC only slots for four Broadway musical performances. Someone will get shut out as usual. It's always happens when too many things open in one season.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Miles2Go2 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Scoop, to be announced tomorrow. The parade performances on CBS will be the following, with a theme that celebrates "the biggest and best of theatre in America!"

– Derren Brown
– a videoclip from The Irishman
"

"I heard it was a full frontal nude scene from Linda Vista.
"

You bet your full-frontal a$s it is!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, Beetlejuice is pretty much confirmed. They “announced” it in a really fun way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4JDieVnOQv/?igshid=1cigtskj8lj7j
magictodo123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mike Barrett said: "Moulin Rouge will likely do the Macy's parade for more notoriety. If they're smart, they perform from the theatre on CBS to truly show people what they are in store for."

I wonder how often that happens and what makes a production decide to perform from the theater rather than in front of Macy's. 

VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Well, Beetlejuice is pretty much confirmed. They “announced” it in a really fun way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4JDieVnOQv/?igshid=1cigtskj8lj7j
"

-sigh- No, this was a series of videos the SM put together confirming that they do NOT know if they’re doing the parade. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

VotePeron, I'm pretty sure telling from the length, they are building up an official announcement about it. Either way, it's really funny! I love the cast, they seem really fun from Leslie's Broadway vlog.

Call_me_jorge
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/HADESTOWN-BEETLEJUICE-AINT-TOO-PROUD-and-TINA-to-Perform-on-the-Macys-Thanksgiving-Day-Parade-20191113

We have who’s performing on NBC. Wonder when we’ll get who will be on CBS. Don’t they usually record their performances 2 weeks ahead of time?

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Lil surprised Moulin Rouge! didn't make the cut but maybe it can't do the number they'd want except from the theatre and the Parade wants the performances ON the parade.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
ClumsyDude15 Profile PhotoClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mean Girls posted on Instagram inviting fans to a filming which I assume is their CBS parade performance.