Whoopi to play DELORIS in Sister Act London (confirmed)

qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wtf? How will she sing this score?

"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
Updated On: 10/24/19 at 06:48 PM
Plannietink08 Profile PhotoPlannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Are you mad? How on Earth did you come to the conclusion she’s playing Delores? Whoopi and Jennifer are alternating the Mother Superior throughout the run.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"
nasty_khakis
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The article specifically says it's being rewritten to be older for Brenda Edwards.

SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yeah, I’m curious how this does! I actually think it’s such a great score and show. Loved the original production!
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Whoopi can sing “Haven’t Got A Prayer.” I assume it’ll be cut again.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The rumours might have got their wires crossed because some indeed have claimed she is playing Delores. But I assume this will all be corrected with an official announcement.
"It’s the fractured quality in [Bernadette Peters'] singing voice and line readings that puts across the character as someone for whom resentment is sliding into madness." - NYtimes on Follies (2011).
SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
There was already an announcement on here.
BIG BALONEY Profile PhotoBIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#8
Posted: 10/23/19 at 9:35pm
It starts in Northern England. I can't see Whoopi doing it there.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#9
Posted: 10/23/19 at 10:32pm

I've been hoping for an updated cast album with the new material but I also can't imagine Whoopi singing “Haven’t Got a Prayer.”

SweetLips22 Profile PhotoSweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#10
Posted: 10/23/19 at 11:03pm

Whoopi can hardly move now let alone sing. Saw this in London-hated it. The gangsters are necessary to the plot but they were more like the Keystone Cops-and that's an insult to the KCs.

The movie was silly camp fun. The musical was just silly.

qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#11
Posted: 10/24/19 at 4:19am

The rumours appear to have been right. She is playing Deloris!!!

Updated On: 10/24/19 at 04:19 AM
Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#12
Posted: 10/24/19 at 5:29am

qolbinau said: "The rumours appear to have been right. She is playing Deloris!!!"

I apologize. Never did I imagine she would actually play Deloris... god help us all.

Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#13
Posted: 10/24/19 at 5:34am

Top price tickets are £558 ($719)!! That’s ridiculous. I doubt Whoopi will manage her seven show week so imagine paying all that money and finding out Whoopi isn’t even on...

ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#14
Posted: 10/24/19 at 6:54am
What in the world. Menken is going to seriously need to rewrite those songs for her. She has a limited range of a few notes.
Miserent Profile PhotoMiserent Profile Photo
Miserent
Stand-by
Stand-by
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#15
Posted: 10/24/19 at 7:12am

It looks like she's doing it for one or two performances only so that the show can be filmed, which I assume will lead to some kind of theatrical release?  I loved the original production and I'm hoping the revival will come to Broadway at some point, but I really cannot imagine Whoopi singing the role of Deloris.  I'm sure she'll be announcing something on The View today.

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#16
Posted: 10/24/19 at 7:39am

That's a lot of work for only a few performances!   And while I adored her in the film, I'd rather see someone knock it out of the park.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#17
Posted: 10/24/19 at 8:11am
I received an email advertising for 39 performances. Also, it is not really west end but the Hammersmith Apollo, which is a large barn useful to take in the cash.

Personally, unless I can get a cheap sit last minute I might skip. I just don’t think this is a good idea. After Patina Miller? And Victoria Clark? No thank you, indeed.
Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#18
Posted: 10/24/19 at 8:35am

I was really interested in the idea of this revival until now..... ill forever love this score though. One of the more underrated ones Imo recently for Broadway. 

WldKingdomHM Profile PhotoWldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#19
Posted: 10/24/19 at 8:39am
People want the songs from the movie!
Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#20
Posted: 10/24/19 at 8:54am

Whoopi is definitely doing the entire London run with Brenda Edwards playing the role on Thursday matinees. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#21
Posted: 10/24/19 at 9:36am

Whoopi is twice the age she was when she made the first movies and almost died earlier this year. As much as I love her, and am happy she thinks she can do this role, I do worry about her being able to sustain her energy for these five weeks. That said, I hope I'm proved wrong. And just the thought of her and Jennifer Saunders on the same stage is very, very exciting. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#22
Posted: 10/24/19 at 9:46am

everythingtaboo said: "Whoopi is twice the age she was when she made the first movies and almost died earlier this year. As much as I love her, and am happy she thinks she can do this role, I do worry about her being able to sustain her energy for these five weeks. That said, I hope I'm proved wrong. And just the thought of her and Jennifer Saunders on the same stage is very, very exciting."

I agree. I’m a bit concerned for her. She was absent from The View for months this year recovering from pneumonia, I believe? I hope she is making the right decisions for her health.

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#23
Posted: 10/24/19 at 10:39am
Are we to assume she's leaving The View? I love Whoopi, but I don't see her having the stamina to do this run.
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
WldKingdomHM Profile PhotoWldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#24
Posted: 10/24/19 at 10:50am
Doesn’t The View go on hiatus for a couple of weeks ?
SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Whoopi to play in Sister Act West End?#25
Posted: 10/24/19 at 11:06am
They did say they are reworking the whole show so maybe they are cutting a lot of her singing etc

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement