Advertisement
Advertisement

Page: 1

Any news on Glenn Close's "Sunset Boulevard" movie? October is almost here!

David10086 Profile PhotoDavid10086 Profile Photo
David10086
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

According to all the press reports earlier this year (January - March), ALW's "Sunset Boulevard" was supposed to start production in a few weeks - October ( think it was to finish in December, from what I read). Anyhow, we're very close to October and I haven't found any info on the status of the movie  - not even costars. (Just the director was announced last winter).  Has anyone heard anything? I hope this project is not in limbo again.  

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As it’s been for decades, this is again in limbo. If this was even slightly delayed, we’d have heard some mention of it. This is a highly anticipated project so extensive coverage would be taking place like casting of all the principal roles. IN THE HEIGHTS released info weeks before the film started principal photography as did WEST SIDE STORY and CATS.
rayoflight104 Profile Photorayoflight104 Profile Photo
rayoflight104
Stand-by
Stand-by
Go post the question on her Instagram account. Maybe she’ll answer.
bk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't know when it will EVER click in with you people - this is all press agent BS - DECADES is right.  You'll know when it's real because they'll actually begin filming.  Until then, these threads are just silly.

GavestonPS Profile PhotoGavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

On film, won't a 70-something Norma wanting to play teenage Salome make it a comedy?

Plannietink08 Profile PhotoPlannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

Until you see a trailer assume it isn’t happening and even then be skeptical. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"
east side story Profile Photoeast side story Profile Photo
east side story
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Principal photography is set to begin relatively soon. They are shooting on the same lot as Streisand’s GYPSY.
GiantsInTheSky2 Profile PhotoGiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

GavestonPS said: "On film, won't a 70-something Norma wanting to play teenage Salome make it a comedy?"

...because that concept wasn’t already funny?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
David10086 Profile PhotoDavid10086 Profile Photo
David10086
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

BrodyFosse123 said: "As it’s been for decades, this is again in limbo. If this was even slightly delayed, we’d have heard some mention of it. This is a highly anticipated project so extensive coverage would be taking place like casting of all the principal roles. IN THE HEIGHTS released info weeks before the film started principal photography as did WEST SIDE STORY and CATS."

That's what I was afraid of, actually. I had high hopes after the Oscars, and so much was talked about. Then....poof! Nothing. 

GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "GavestonPS said: "On film, won't a 70-something Norma wanting to play teenage Salome make it a comedy?"

...because that concept wasn’t already funny?
"

Not so much when Gloria Swanson played it. She looked great at 51. So wanting to play a teenager seemed pitiful rather than risible. I saw Close twice as Norma on stage and I had other problems with her performance, but not with her age. That, however, was 20 years ago when she would have been about 50. She is now 72 and the camera is unforgiving.

Maybe it'll be like the film of MAME, shot through Vaseline.

Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If the film becomes a reality, I hope they dub her singing voice. When I saw her on stage she had trouble with the score and dropped a full octave at one point.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
qolbinau Profile Photoqolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I share your concerns but no way would Glenn Close have the ego to let that happen. I must admit, I find it a bit annoying that Close’s performance keeps lingering around on stage and on film. A missed opportunity for stronger singers.
"Rose in Gypsy was like going through therapy for me. Playing Rose helped me put a lot of emotions to bed. There was so much lacking in Rose and that's why she had to prove herself through her children. [interviewer]In ways that reminded you of your mom?[/interviewer]. Let's just say the role was very interesting for me. That one was the most interesting [I've ever played]" - Bernadette Peters (2018)
Deena Jones
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Deena Jones said: "Anything?!"

No, nothing, and there likely never will be.

The big screen Phantom pulled unimpressive box office numbers, and Cats... well, you know. I don't think there is a big rush to get any more of Webber's musicals filmed any time soon. It just doesn't make financial sense, at this time.

GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Add to the casting issue the fact that the musical follows the original film, practically beat by beat. It might not matter if ALW musicals were making money as films; but since they are not, doing a musical film that was already better as a non-musical film and concerns a genre (silent movies) now forgotten by most of the movie-going public, seems impossible, even by Hollywood standards.

Advertisement