Page: 1

Chicago Costumes

Skye Burt
Swing
Swing
Chicago Costumes#1
Posted: 9/10/19 at 5:39pm
I'm going to be playing the part of Velma Kelly in an amateur production of Chicago mid November. Can anyone tell me what the classic Velma dress/outfit is called and possibly where I could get one - I live in the UK.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago Costumes#2
Posted: 9/10/19 at 6:03pm
It’s a little black dress and they’re generally custom made for each actress and sometimes redesigned for a specific actress or production. You can’t buy it anywhere but a generic plain black dress is not hard to find.
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago Costumes#3
Posted: 9/10/19 at 7:32pm

CATSNYrevival said: "It’s a little black dress and they’re generally custom made for each actress and sometimes redesigned for a specific actress or production. You can’t buy it anywhere but a generic plain black dress is not hard to find."

With all due respect, you’re referring to the costumes for the 1996 Broadway revival of CHICAGO.  Bob Fosse’s original 1975 Broadway production DID have costumes (and sets) and Velma (as well as Roxie) had different costumes during the show.  Many generally mount full productions of CHICAGO and include period costumes for the roles and choose to not go the basic black route of the concert-style revival.  

CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago Costumes#4
Posted: 9/10/19 at 9:47pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "With all due respect, you’re referring to the costumes for the 1996 Broadway revival of CHICAGO. Bob Fosse’s original 1975 Broadway production DID have costumes (and sets) and Velma (as well as Roxie) had different costumes during the show. Manygenerally mount full productions of CHICAGO and include period costumes for the roles and choose to notgo the basic black route of the concert-style revival."

The OP didn't specify original, movie or revival costume so I just assumed she meant the current Broadway revival since this is the Broadway board. My apologies.

AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago Costumes#5
Posted: 9/10/19 at 10:08pm

CATSNYrevival said: "The OP didn't specify original, movie or revival costume so I just assumed she meant the current Broadway revival since this is the Broadway board. My apologies."

And since the trend amongst amateur theaters is to copy, copy, copy, I would have made the same assumption that when they said "the classic Velma dress" they were referring to the little black number in the current Broadway production.

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chicago Costumes#6
Posted: 9/10/19 at 10:31pm

If you are in fact looking for something similar to the current dress Amra-Faye Wright wears, I found this one for you on Amazon which may be helpful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinni-Fit-Ladies-Stretch-Manufacturer/dp/B00DCT98A4

If you need a more 1920s style dress Amazon has also got you covered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ArtiDeco-Flapper-Fringed-Roaring-Costume/dp/B07C4FP67S