Rialto Chatter- Beetlejuice and Mockingbird get new homes?

RoadGypsy2010 Profile PhotoRoadGypsy2010 Profile Photo
RoadGypsy2010
Understudy
joined:7/3/10
Understudy
joined:
7/3/10

In today's Rialto Chatter, Riedel mentions that both To Kill A Mockingbird and Beetlejuice are in preliminary negotiations to move to different Shubert houses.. Where do we think they may land?

I'd imagine both will want to head into an 1100 seat house. Could Mockingbird go to the Belasco to make room for the ALW Cinderella at the Shubert? Will Beetlejuice get out of the Winter Garden for the Music Man revival by following Mamma Mia's trajectory and take over the Broadhurst (if Jagged Little Pill doesn't turn into a hit)..? 

Beetlejuice could be moot point if it's sales start to fall off over the next year, but Mockingbird looks pretty definite for a transfer...

TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
joined:3/29/07
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/29/07
Beetlejuice, ya got trouble, my friend, right here.
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
joined:4/6/12
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/6/12

How would this  supposed "moving to make room for another show" deal work financially? Are the producers of the original tenants (Beetlejuice & Mockingbird) expected to pay for the transfer, to avoid the threat of getting the boot altogether as an alternative? Or do the producers of the incoming tenants (Music Man & Cinderella) expected to pay for it since they are the ones who want the house so badly? OR do the theatre owners (the Shuberts) offer to eat the cost in order to attract a promising tenants and keep their old ones? 

I can't imagine Beetlejuice shelling out the money to move when they are doing well (but not THAT well) at the Winter Garden. 

 

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 11:01 PM
VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
joined:5/2/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/2/13

Dang so my theory in the other thread about a show moving was right! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
joined:9/20/18
Broadway Star
joined:
9/20/18

JBroadway, it's all case by case.

If Beetlejuice is not below stop-clause territory (it isn't), then perhaps the Shuberts help to pay for a move. The problem is there are no other Shubert houses that are as comparably big as the Winter Garden, so it would involve a significant downsize. That said, I do not think the show will have the stamina to move to another theatre 11 months from now.

For Mockingbird/Cinderella, that's a little different because Scott Rudin is producing both. My guess is that the cost will be shared by both.

SouthernCakes
Leading Actor
joined:7/29/19
Leading Actor
joined:
7/29/19
Belasco would suit that show beautifully.

I don’t see Beetlejuice running that much longer. It’s not doing gang busters but it’s doing fine.
FANtomFollies Profile PhotoFANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
Broadway Star
joined:4/5/12
Broadway Star
joined:
4/5/12

If Beetlejuice is doing so-so, moving to a smaller theatre would (in theory) boost their capacity.

SouthernCakes
Leading Actor
joined:7/29/19
Leading Actor
joined:
7/29/19
Capacity doesn’t mean much if everyone’s already buying discount tickets. It didn’t help Mamma Mia, which was basically charging the same for a lesser product.
DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Broadway Star
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Star
joined:
3/18/19
Beetlejuice moving would be interesting as they would have to update the opening number.
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
joined:8/13/09
Broadway Legend
joined:
8/13/09

Even now Beetlejuice is not doing the type of business that would suggest adding up to a million dollars, or even more, would be a financially sound decision in the long run. I can't imagine that by next summer the show will be in a better place financially. Unless Rudin or the Shuberts offer to foot the bill (and I don't see that happening) then going through with a move would be extremely foolish.

Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
GreasedLightning Profile PhotoGreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
joined:2/11/14
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/11/14

DoTheDood said: "Beetlejuice moving would be interesting as they would have to update the opening number."

I think this would be the least of their worries. 

I can’t imagine where Mockingbird might go... 

Zion24
Featured Actor
joined:3/27/19
Featured Actor
joined:
3/27/19

GreasedLightning said: "DoTheDood said: "Beetlejuice moving would be interesting as they would have to update the opening number."

I think this would be the least of their worries.

I can’t imagine where Mockingbird might go...
"

If the goal is to downsize for a more sustainable long run, wouldnt it be perfect in the Jacobs? I dont think anyone thinks Company is going to be there forever. I also would love to see this in the Booth...

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
joined:2/11/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
2/11/06

I think Beetlejuice just ends up closing by the Spring(May?).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Mm882
Swing
joined:6/18/18
Swing
joined:
6/18/18
Moving the set of Beetlejuice would be VERY tricky especially as the WG has one of the largest backstage areas and is wider than many others. I think they would have to rework things in the scenic shop
magictodo123
Broadway Star
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Star
joined:
3/18/19

Can we back up a minute--has a production of Cinderella even been announced to be coming to Broadway? I missed it...(I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I literally do not remember hearing anything about this). 

frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
joined:12/3/05
Broadway Legend
joined:
12/3/05

I can't imagine Mockingbird would be moving until February at the earliest.  Right now there is only one theater available for the fall- the Belasco.  If they moved anytime soon the production would either have to close or move theaters again because of Girl From The North Country starting in early February... unless that production also switches theaters.

 

CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
joined:3/7/17
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/7/17

frogs_fan85 said: "I can't imagine Mockingbird would be moving until February at the earliest. Right now there is only one theater available for the fall- the Belasco. If they moved anytime soon the production would either have to close or move theaters again because of Girl From The North Country starting in early February... unless that production also switches theaters.

"

Since Mockingbird currently has tickets on sale through July, I'm assuming they'll hold off any move until then.

MollyJeanneMusic
Featured Actor
joined:3/10/19
Featured Actor
joined:
3/10/19

Well, if Beetlejuice does move, I'm sure Eddie Perfect has some very funny moving lyrics up his sleeve for opening night at least.

"It's you." "It's me. Orpheus." "Eurydice..." *crying*
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
joined:3/16/06
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/16/06

The Barrymore would be good for Mockingbird, I think if it does move, they'll want a theatre that's on two levels and not three. It's a shame the Ambassador isn't available as that would also be good.

Huss417 Profile PhotoHuss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Broadway Legend
joined:5/15/03
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/15/03

Maybe its just me but if discussing from a source always nice to have a link,

https://nypost.com/2019/08/29/billy-crystals-mr-saturday-night-musical-scores-early-buzz/

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
HamilHansen Profile PhotoHamilHansen Profile Photo
HamilHansen
Leading Actor
joined:6/2/17
Leading Actor
joined:
6/2/17

MollyJeanneMusic said: "Well, if Beetlejuice does move, I'm sure Eddie Perfect has some very funny moving lyrics up his sleeve for opening night at least."

Well, I'm sure he will have some...lyrics up his sleeve. 

VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
joined:5/2/13
Broadway Legend
joined:
5/2/13

HamilHansen said: "MollyJeanneMusic said: "Well, if Beetlejuice does move, I'm sure Eddie Perfect has some very funny moving lyrics up his sleeve for opening night at least."

Well, I'm sure he will have some...lyrics up his sleeve.
"

I SCREAMED. Thank you for this much needed laugh.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
joined:9/20/18
Broadway Star
joined:
9/20/18

magictodo123 said: "Can we back up a minute--has a production of Cinderella even been announced to be coming to Broadway? I missed it...(I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I literally do not remember hearing anything about this)."

Michael Riedel is the only one who has talked about it. But he did a big story about a reading in London last spring. It's no secret that he's close with both Scott Rudin and Andrew Lloyd Webber, so if that info isn't accurate, it's at the very least the plan/hope of the creative team.

Original article: https://nypost.com/2019/05/16/cinderella-musical-gives-prince-charming-a-gay-twist/

magictodo123
Broadway Star
joined:3/18/19
Broadway Star
joined:
3/18/19

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "magictodo123 said: "Can we back up a minute--has a production of Cinderella even been announced to be coming to Broadway? I missed it...(I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I literally do not remember hearing anything about this)."

Michael Riedel is the only one who has talked about it. But he did a big story about a reading in London last spring.It's no secret that he's close with both Scott Rudin and Andrew Lloyd Webber, so if that info isn't accurate, it's at the very least the plan/hope of the creative team.

Original article:https://nypost.com/2019/05/16/cinderella-musical-gives-prince-charming-a-gay-twist/
"

So I’d say this is more speculation than there actually being something coming...right? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
joined:9/20/18
Broadway Star
joined:
9/20/18

CT2NYC said: "Since Mockingbird currently has tickets on sale through July, I'm assuming they'll hold off any move until then."

I would assume that's how long Ed Harris is contracted, too. Financially, it would make more sense to shut down after Labor Day and miss 2-3 weeks of the September Slump, but I don't know when Cindy is planning to open. If Rudin/Webber want to start Cindy previews in September then TKAMB would have to vacate the Shubert in July.

The show could be made to work at almost any of the Shubert playhouses. It'll just come down to what's available at that time.