Page: 1

What was the first cast recording digitally recorded and released on CD?

morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm thinking either La Cage or Sunday in the Park?

QueenAlice Profile PhotoQueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I received a CD player in 1985. At that time there were almost no Broadway recordings on CD. The first I remember buying were 42ND STREET, ANNIE, SUNDAY IN THE PARK, SWEENEY TODD, and STARLIGHT EXPRESS.
“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
greensgreens Profile Photogreensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I'd be surprised if any digital recordings were made before the mid-late 80s (of course there were AAD transfers to CD earlier). My impression is that cast albums were treated like orchestral records and maintained the analog standard well past other genres. Certainly La Cage & Sunday would've been well before cast albums had switched to even ADD transfers to CD.

BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Based on the sound of the musical instruments, the original 1986 Broadway revival cast recording of SWEET CHARITY was obviously recorded digitally. Just listen to the Overture and it just sounds flat due to the sharp digital sound.

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 03:36 PM
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There were a few Polydor cast albums in the early 80s that were recorded digitally. On Your Toes (1983), Baby and The Rink (1984) are some examples. On Your Toes might have been the first.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

La Cage was the first CD I ever bought.

The Rink certainly sounded like it was the one of the first DDD recordings.

MichelleCraig Profile PhotoMichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I read once that the first digital recording of a Broadway show was of the 1979 revival of OKLAHOMA!, but that because of some technical issues, an analog back-up master was used for all commercial releases: LP, cassette and, eventually, CD.

greensgreens Profile Photogreensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

devonian.t said: "The Rink certainly sounded like it was the one of the first DDD recordings."

Actually, that makes sense. Liza was an early adopter/supporter of Telarc, who were responsible for the first digitally recorded classical album. Perhaps she was able to help that happen? I believe most of her recordings in the 80s/90s were Telarc-recorded.

This is a GREAT topic! I'll be honest, my youthful memories of cast albums in the 80s are dominated with AAD and then ADD and finally DDD, but I don't recall the transition as early as some of you. Thanks for filling in my knowledge gaps!

joevitus Profile Photojoevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

greensgreens said: "devonian.t said: "The Rink certainly sounded like it was the one of the first DDD recordings."

Actually, that makes sense. Liza was an early adopter/supporter of Telarc, who were responsible for the first digitally recorded classical album. Perhaps she was able to help that happen? I believe most of her recordings in the 80s/90s were Telarc-recorded.

This is a GREAT topic! I'll be honest, my youthful memories of cast albums in the 80s aredominated with AAD and then ADD and finally DDD, but I don't recall the transition as early as some of you. Thanks for filling in my knowledge gaps!
"

How exciting Telarc classical recordings were in the late LP era! Beethoven's 5th was my favorite symphony growing up, and I remember the excitement over getting a digital recording it. 

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 11:25 AM
DooWahDiddy Profile PhotoDooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

Not sure about cast album, but the first album to be released on CD was Billy Joel's 52nd Street, just as a bit of trivia.

That was in 1982, so perhaps the first cast album was around that time?

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 02:51 PM
morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Don't know for sure but I've narrowed it down to either La Cage or On Your Toes, both 1983. Not an easy subject to research and my conclusion may still be wrong.

noradesmond Profile Photonoradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

On Your Toes was the first digitally recorded, not converted analog, Cast Album I think. It was the first in my collection, anyway, and I was an early tech adopter in those days.

Updated On: 8/29/19 at 05:35 PM