Page: 1

Available Theatres

Sethwp2
Swing
Swing
Available Theatres#1
Posted: 8/26/19 at 7:47pm

Broadway Real Estate 19/20

Currently, it looks like there are still a handful of B'way houses that will be available in the spring 2020. Any word on who's moving in to all of these theatres?

The Belasco is still dark this fall before Girl From the North Country comes in February. Any limited engagement scheduled before the end of this year?

So far, open theatres this spring will be the Booth, Circle in the Square, Cort, Golden, Hudson, Jacobs, Lyceum, Nederlander, Neil Simon and the Sondheim.  The only confirmed shows without an announced theatre are Blue, The Minutes, and Virginia Woolf?  Probably safe to say Company will take over the Jacobs.

Does anyone have any hints to matches for the empty houses?

SWP
Updated On: 8/26/19 at 07:47 PM
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#2
Posted: 8/26/19 at 8:07pm

The Sondheim is also available in the spring.

GreasedLightning Profile PhotoGreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#3
Posted: 8/26/19 at 9:16pm
Wasn’t Woolf confirmed for the Golden? Or maybe that’s just my mind associating Metcalf with the Golden at this point...
DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#4
Posted: 8/26/19 at 9:44pm

GreasedLightning said: "Wasn’t Woolf confirmed for the Golden? Or maybe that’s just my mind associating Metcalf with the Golden at this point..."

No official word on Woolf having a theater. The Golden makes sense, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if it goes to another theater as Metcalf working in the same theater for 3 shows in a row could just be a wild coincidence. It would be neat though. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile PhotoErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#5
Posted: 8/26/19 at 9:45pm

I think there have been a bunch of threads about this, but.....

AVAILABLE HOUSES:
Belasco – fall avail, no spring avail
Booth – spring avail
Circle – spring avail (likely)
Cort – spring avail (or reno)
Golden – spring avail
Hudson – spring avail
Jacobs – spring avail
Lyceum – spring avail
Marquis – spring avail (likely)
Nederlander – possible spring avail (Harry Connick starts in December but no closing date)
Neil Simon – spring avail (or reno)
Sondheim – spring avail
Winter Garden – spring avail (possible)

RUMORED/LIKELY FOR 19-20:
Company (Jacobs)
Mrs. Doubtfire (Sondheezy)
Virginia Woolf
Almost Famous
The Wrong Man
Secret Life of Bees
The Minutes
Blue

OTHER POSSIBILITIES:
A Strange Loop, Octet, and Soft Power unlikely for 19/20
Becoming Nancy
New Scott Rudin/Joe Mantello play starting previews in December
Mr. Saturday Night
Chasing Rainbows
Titanic
Dreamgirls
Glengarry (rumor is it's dead)
Mamet's Harvey Weinstein play (please no)
Thoughts of a Colored Man
Flamingo Kid
Lempicka
Marie

Updated On: 8/26/19 at 09:45 PM
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#6
Posted: 8/30/19 at 1:14am

Updated after Michael Riedel's column. It basically leaves 5-7 houses on the market (all are "playhouses" except the Alvin). Almost Famous seems like the most "real" candidate without a theatre right now.

AVAILABLE HOUSES:
Booth – spring avail
Circle – spring avail (likely)
Cort – renovation?
Lyceum – spring avail
Hudson – spring avail
Neil Simon – renovation?
Sondheim – spring avail

SPOKEN FOR:
Belasco – Girl/North (available in the Fall though)
Jacobs – Company
Golden – Virginia Woolf?
Marquis – Joseph?
Nederlander – Lehman then Mr. Saturday Night?
Winter Garden – Music Man after BJ

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#7
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:25am
If I were you I wouldn’t use Riedel’s column as an update source. He may very well be right about all of these, but his word is not confirmation. He’s a gossip columnist. If I were you I would wait for a press release.
OhHiii
Understudy
Understudy
Available Theatres#8
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:27am

JBroadway said: "If I were you I wouldn’t use Riedel’s column as an update source. He may very well be right about all of these, but his word is not confirmation. He’s a gossip columnist. If I were you I would wait for a press release."

Yeah..if Lehman Trilogy were to be happening this fall, there's no way it wouldn't be on sale yet...at least you would think...

GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#9
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:31am

JBroadway said: "If I were you I wouldn’t use Riedel’s column as an update source. He may very well be right about all of these, but his word is not confirmation. He’s a gossip columnist. If I were you I would wait for a press release. "

Good point. The last line of his article literally says “That’s all I know for now. Let’s wait and see how much if it is true.”

Id also remove “likely” from Circle’s spring availability. Oklahoma has a scheduled closing date of early Jan and I doubt they’d extend again, so I’d say Circle’s spring availability is pretty firm. 

Sethwp2
Swing
Swing
Available Theatres#10
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:39pm

All great prospects to think about, and most of them made sense... but the only one that truly peaked my curiosity was The Lehman Trilogy.  Not that Connick's Cole Porter tribute couldn't be cancelled or be moved to another theatre, but I don't see how the Nederlander could get in Lehman, Cole Porter, and Mr. Saturday Night all within in the same season. If the trilogy is going to be only a limited run, perhaps it could go in to the fall slot at the Belasco. (Nederlander vs. Shubert house, I know, but do we know the producers yet?). But again, that's an awfully short amount of time they would have to announce if it's going to be a fall opening (and winter closing). Personally, I'd like to see the Lehmans restaged for moving into Circle in the Square.

Unless Slave Play does exceptionally well and extends, I'd bet it's safe to agree Virginia Woolf goes into the Golden 'Metcalf.' 

SWP
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#11
Posted: 8/30/19 at 5:37pm

That's why the "Riedel shows" all have question marks next to them :)

The whole Nederlander Theatre season gives me some pause. Part of me thinks the Nederlanders would want to put Billy Crystal in a bigger house like the Simon or Marquis, especially if he only gives them ~6 months of perfs. If Lehman runs through the last week in January (14-16 weeks), Mr. Saturday Night could start previews around March 20. Lehman needs MINIMUM 5 weeks for an on-sale period; unless they're going to do a weird November-March run, they've got to announce soon.

Lehman Trilogy is produced by Neal Street (Sam Mendes' production company) and the National Theatre.

matty159 Profile Photomatty159 Profile Photo
matty159
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#12
Posted: 8/30/19 at 8:51pm
The Nederlander thing confuses me since I thought the Harry concerts were officially announced. I mean, we could hear things come Tuesday, but it seems off.
SouthernCakes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#13
Posted: 8/31/19 at 12:21am
A concert is easy to move.
BroadwayRox3588 Profile PhotoBroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#14
Posted: 8/31/19 at 1:04am

Why do so many people on these boards put so much stock into what Riedel says? He writes for the frigging New York Post, for goodness' sake. Do you people also believe the National Enquirer?

DoTheDood Profile PhotoDoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#15
Posted: 8/31/19 at 1:39am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Why do so many people on these boards put so much stock into what Riedel says? He writes for the frigging New York Post, for goodness' sake. Do you people also believe the National Enquirer?"

Looking at a lot of his previous "chatter", it's not bad to assume that's at the very least that is what the people around these productions are aiming for. Not to be taken as gospel obviously (some of his chatter sounds very odd in hidesight), things can change very easily, but at least he knows more than random people on this board who claim they "know a friend".

GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#16
Posted: 8/31/19 at 9:31am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Why do so many people on these boards put so much stock into what Riedel says? He writes for the frigging New York Post, for goodness' sake. Do you people also believe the National Enquirer?"

Because most of it comes from reliable sources and ends up being (fairly) accurate...? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Available Theatres#17
Posted: 8/31/19 at 2:35pm

I mean, some of this (Music Man at the WG, Cinderella at the Shubert, Mr. Sat Night at the Nederlander) matches with other rumors that have been circulating here and elsewhere. He's also buddies with ALW's people and Scott Rudin. I'm not going to analyze his past columns about Real Estate, but I would venture to say more right than wrong –– and when he is wrong about Real Estate, it's usually something that was being discussed and fell through.

GreasedLightning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#18
Posted: 8/31/19 at 4:36pm

In my ideal world/predictions:
•WSS wraps up their run Labor Day 2020. While I’m personally excited, I can’t see this lasting longer than that in this behemoth house.
• Music Man takes the Bway fall 2020 because it can fill that theater. However, I realize how this can get tricky logistically because I’m sure MM will want to announce and go on-sale sooner rather than later, even though they’ll sell every avail ticket in minutes.
•BJ wraps up in July 2020 (maybe sooner?) and Mockingbird moves in at the WG late August-early Sept 2020. Can’t really see BJ moving anywhere else, nor lasting long enough to warrant a move. I think Mockingbird will need a comparably sized house that it’s already in to keep up with demand and it would be epic at the WG. Imagine the marquee! 
•Cinderella takes the Shubert, fall 2020.
•Almost Famous takes the Sondheim, spring 2020.
•The Wrong Man to the Booth/Cort/Circle, spring 2020.
•Mrs. Doubtfire to the Simon? Marquis?
•I’d love to see SLOB take the Jacobs after Company.

Just some fun guesses and ideas, don’t come for me with pitchforks!

Updated On: 8/31/19 at 04:36 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#19
Posted: 9/3/19 at 1:38pm

Any chance of a "Becoming Nancy" transfer? It starts in Atlanta this week.

VotePeron Profile PhotoVotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Available Theatres#20
Posted: 9/3/19 at 5:19pm

Mark_E said: "Any chance of a "Becoming Nancy" transfer? It starts in Atlanta this week."

Yes.