Stand-by
Stand-by
Six...
Jordan Catalano Profile PhotoJordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

teatime2 said: "Six..."

You’re right. That ones just been around so long that I didn’t even think of it  

copskid949
Understudy
Understudy

n2nbaby said: "This is hilariously stupid."

The production? Sure.

The announcement time? Of course.

The material? Actually pretty good.

At least we’re getting original works!

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When there are complaints about too many movie to musical adaptations this is easily one that can be pointed to. 

perfectliar
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mike Barrett said: "When there are complaints about too many movie to musical adaptations this is easily one that can be pointed to."

Except it's based on a book.

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

perfectliar said: "Mike Barrett said: "When there are complaints about too many movie to musical adaptations this is easily one that can be pointed to."

"

This is true. But, there is also a poorly reviewed film adaption as well. 

AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And it definitely follows the plot of the book a lot more closely than the movie did
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
MollyJeanneMusic
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

perfectliar said: "Mike Barrett said: "When there are complaints about too many movie to musical adaptations this is easily one that can be pointed to."

"

And they've specifically tried to distance themselves from the movie, and have the approval of Rick Riordan, the original author, and there's a new Rick Riordan book coming out a few days after previews begin.  This could be pretty big if they market it right.

"It's you." "It's me. Orpheus." "Eurydice..." *crying*
InTheBathroom1
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I think the fact that it’s already been on tour and made a lot of money that way. So really it’s just a reinvestment. Plus, they don’t have to pay for sets or development or any of that. And if the Longacre was gonna sit empty anyway, I think it’s not the stupidest idea. Also, another option for families that’s not Disney (and Disney prices) is always welcome.
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photodisneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Very smart that it is limited run. Great compromise with the producers and fans. Congrats to them!

YvanEhtNioj Profile PhotoYvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

I know nothing about the show, but the promo material is giving me Be More Chill tease. 

Instagram: Astoldbyjordan_
MollyJeanneMusic
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

I think they could do some joint marketing with Hadestown, especially since they're right across the street from each other.  It would be a great way to unite Hadestown fans and BMC fans, which comprised a lot of online feuding during Tony season this past year.

little_sally Profile Photolittle_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MollyJeanneMusic said: "perfectliar said: "Mike Barrett said: "When there are complaints about too many movie to musical adaptations this is easily one that can be pointed to."

"

And they've specifically tried to distance themselves from the movie, and have the approval of Rick Riordan, the original author, and there's a new Rick Riordan book coming out a few days after previews begin. This could be pretty big if they market it right.
"

I also feel like being open during the holidays might help. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
cjmclaughlin10
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

InTheBathroom1 said: "I think the fact that it’s already been on tour and made a lot of money that way. So really it’s just a reinvestment. "

How do you know the tour is making money?  Do they report grosses?   I would be curious to see them 

dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MollyJeanneMusic said: "I think they could do some joint marketing with Hadestown, especially since they're right across the street from each other. It would be a great way to unite Hadestown fans and BMC fans, which comprised a lot of online feuding during Tony season this past year."

1. But exactly where does Lightning fit in with this? All BMC fans will automatically be Lightning fans?

2. No production needs to unite anyone...they need to sell tickets.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

They are actually gonna ask us to pay full price admission for a TYA show.

littlemouse921 Profile Photolittlemouse921 Profile Photo
littlemouse921
Stand-by
Stand-by

InTheBathroom1 said: "I think the fact that it’s already been on tour and made a lot of money that way. So really it’s just a reinvestment. Plus, they don’t have to pay for sets or development or any of that. And if the Longacre was gonna sit empty anyway, I think it’s not the stupidest idea. Also, another option for families that’s not Disney (and Disney prices) is always welcome. "

Does anyone know if Disney is involved with this at all? They own the rights to the books, but did they just license out the stage rights?

copskid949
Understudy
Understudy

dramamama611 said: "MollyJeanneMusic said: "I think they could do some joint marketing with Hadestown, especially since they're right across the street from each other. It would be a great way to unite Hadestown fans and BMC fans, which comprised a lot of online feuding during Tony season this past year."

1. But exactly where does Lightning fit in with this? All BMC fans will automatically be Lightning fans?

"

Responding to point 1, there’s a bit of crossover but not much. It’s just that general “I like theatre so I’m a quirky tween audience,” although Lightning Thief has an advantage thanks to the college kids and twenty-somethings who still have nostalgia for it.

As for point 2, maybe the similar source material could attract Hadestown audiences? Honestly tho I agree, uniting does nothing if nobody’s buying tickets.

Sauja Profile PhotoSauja Profile Photo
Sauja
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This all felt so unlikely to be coming in this fast, but sometimes the gossip is all correct! Well done to those of you who spread the word! 

I don't know much about the show, so I will say only that it is my sincere hope that everyone keep an eye on their spelling and the difference between "lightning" and "lightening." Thrilled to see everyone's got it right in this thread so far! 

Two new scores now this season, so at the very least that's heartening!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photooncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I’m assuming since it begins previews in 5 weeks, we’ll see little if no new casting from the tour. 

I’m truly not sure how this is going to play out in the long run. Yes, there’s quite a few empty theaters this fall, but that doesn’t mean throw a show in to fill space. I’m all for people giving things a go, but can TLT sustain a 16 week run? 

MollyJeanneMusic
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

copskid949 said: "dramamama611 said: "MollyJeanneMusic said: "I think they could do some joint marketing with Hadestown, especially since they're right across the street from each other. It would be a great way to unite Hadestown fans and BMC fans, which comprised a lot of online feuding during Tony season this past year."

"

Responding to point 1, there’s a bit of crossover but not much. It’s just that general “I like theatre so I’m a quirky tween audience,” although Lightning Thief has an advantage thanks to the college kids and twenty-somethings who still have nostalgia for it.

As for point 2, maybe the similar source material could attract Hadestown audiences? Honestly tho I agree, uniting does nothing if nobody’s buying tickets.
"

Also for point 1, the original Grover off-Broadway was George Salazar, and Joe Tracz and Stephen Brackett both worked together on BMC, so a lot of the fanbase is the same.

kaykordeath
Stand-by
Stand-by

How did the sets/production of the Beacon/Tour compare to the production at the Lortel?

Pose2 Profile PhotoPose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor

Did tons of people ask for this? Who is actually excited about this one?