Page: 1

Head Over Heels - Regional Productions

MrsSallyAdams Profile PhotoMrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#1
Posted: 7/7/19 at 8:51pm

Just saw the Chicago premiere of Head Over Heels. For those who missed the earlier threads it's a modern gender-queer take on a 16th century sex farce set to the music of the 1980's group The Gogos. If you've seen As You Like It or Midsummer Night's Dream it's easy enough to follow the logic of the story.

It was considered too slight for Broadway but a $25 ticket in a 100 seat house felt ideal. The leads belt and clown, the sexy chorus dances up a storm and it's great fun to see such a broad range of gender and sexual identities presented without comment.

The weak point for me was the music. I arrived unfamiliar with the Gogos and left with no real appreciation for their songs. Each was arranged with the same bounce and bark style. I'd have liked to have heard at least one dialed down to a soft ballad rather than a belty showcase. In fact I'd have almost preferred to have cut the music and seen that most unprofitable of things... a comic play!

The flexible cast size and breezy material should lend itself easily to regional theaters. I'll be curious to read about the productions that pop up over the next few months.

Reviews for the Chicago production will soon be compiled here: https://www.theatreinchicago.com/head-over-heels/10377/

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 7/7/19 at 08:51 PM
TheSassySam Profile PhotoTheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#2
Posted: 7/8/19 at 8:06pm

Thanks for your review! 

I think I may go see and see it. 

brendasugarbaker
Swing
Swing
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#3
Posted: 7/11/19 at 9:10pm

I'll report back later this month on Actor's Express' production in Atlanta. Their ad campaign has included a Pop Up Video parody and replicating Go-Go's album covers. If there's any Southern company I trust with this show, it's them. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile PhotoBroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#4
Posted: 7/11/19 at 10:36pm
I miss this show a ton! Hoping it has a healthy life in the regional circuit.
inception Profile Photoinception Profile Photo
inception
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#5
Posted: 8/13/19 at 3:10pm
The Chicago production has now extended until September 8. Tickets on Goldstar for $28. Is this worth seeing? Will be in Chicago for my first time ever, staying in the Loop area, & not renting a car because all the advice I get is not to. Is Theater Wit in a safe area to travel to via public transit?
Miles2Go2 Profile PhotoMiles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#6
Posted: 8/13/19 at 3:43pm
This is part of our local theater company’s upcoming theater season in Oklahoma City and I’ll probably grab a $25 ticket.
DrowsyKaye
Understudy
Understudy
Head Over Heels - Regional Productions#7
Posted: 8/13/19 at 4:04pm

inception said: "The Chicago production has now extended until September 8. Tickets on Goldstar for $28. Is this worth seeing? Will be in Chicago for my first time ever, staying in the Loop area, & not renting a car because all the advice I get is not to. Is Theater Wit in a safe area to travel to via public transit?"

lol. yes, it is in a "safe area." 

Updated On: 8/13/19 at 04:04 PM